Talk

Advanced search

3rd Csection or VBA2C?? all opinions needed, what would you do

(15 Posts)
diddle Mon 13-Oct-08 15:18:08

ok brief history.

2 yrs ago, had a c-sction due to failed induction, not emergancy, planned as last resort, baby wouldn't budge at 42 weeks.

1 year ago, had emergancy c-section due to foetal distress, went into labour naturally got to 7 cms, but heart rate dropped an stayed low for too long. baby was ok, just needed a bit of oxygen to bring him round - 41 weeks.

I am now pregnant again for the final time. due April.
I have been told that i have a choice over having a planned section or a natural delivery. and can't get my brain around the decision.
I am scared to death of something going wrong with a natural delivery and my scar rupturing, due the recentness of my previous sections. I don't want to leave my precious children without a mommy.
But i don't have a clue which is the best option for me. C-sections are risky too.

anyone been in this position? or have an opinion, medical or non.

I'm seeing my consultant in a few weeks to discuss it, but just want to get it straight in my head before i go.

Please help

diddle Mon 13-Oct-08 19:05:16

bumpety bump.
hope someone reads this after thier tea grin

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Mon 13-Oct-08 19:13:55

I can't help thinking that a VBAC is a possibility.

You have started labour yourself and it was down to the baby it ended up with a section, rather than something your body didn't do.

I had an emergency section if DC1 and hadn't gone into labour at all. DC2 and DC3 were both VBACs. It was very hairy with DC3 but luckily I was able to push him out in 7 minutes so he got the help he needed.

diddle Tue 14-Oct-08 14:28:06

bump, opinions please ladies

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 14-Oct-08 16:55:11

okay

Buckets Tue 14-Oct-08 19:43:51

I went for a 3rd CSec but he came 2 days early. Was all set for a semi-emergency CS but dilated from 4cm-10cm in about 40mins while they were getting organised! They just got the epidural in and they told me to push. So I basically pretended to push (no feeling see?) and it was working but registrar decided forceps were needed due to bradycardia. Out in 15mins on the operating table, I was speechless!
My scar did hurt and got constantly painful towards the end, was so glad to have the epidural in.
And I couldn't sit down (or drive) for 3wks because of internal and external piles pressurising my episiotomy stitchessad. TBH I'd rather have had the elective, the only benefit was being able to drive a week earlier!

needmorecoffee Tue 14-Oct-08 19:46:14

it has to be your own choice. I had a vbac after 3 sections but wish I hadn't.

joyfuleyes Tue 14-Oct-08 20:00:30

I'll be going (hopefully) for a third section. I've had late losses though, refuse to go post term (book section at 38 weeks) and am extremely risk averse (or rather I find the risks associated with a repeat elective c-section more acceptable than the process/risks of what would be for me my first vaginal delivery of a living baby after previous uterine surgery and a high risk pregnancy).

Plus my sections have been easy (even my first, an emergency) & frankly I'd rather stick to what I know. I think I must have missed out on whatever it is that makes women mourn the loss of their natural births - pregnancy/birth are just the means to a hopefully not dead baby in my book & the quicker it is all over the better. Obviously YMMV.

melmamof3 Tue 14-Oct-08 21:41:47

I had emergency section with 1st, after 31 hours of labour, and then opted for elective section with 2nd as was so traumatised. Now expecting 3rd baby, due in 6 weeks. Have always thought it would be a definate section, but my midwife told me last weeek could have a natural birth if wanted. Dont think I will, as dont want the same thing to happen, and like joyfuleyes said, I'd rather stick to what I know. At the end of the day, doesnt matter how you have your baby, as long as its born healthy.

Hoep your consultant can help.

doesmybumlookbiginthis Tue 14-Oct-08 21:46:52

I've had 3 sections - first emergency and other 2 electives. Wouldn't have had it any other way - you have to decide what is best for you

babyinbelly Wed 15-Oct-08 00:17:16

I am hoping for a VBAC after 1 cs. This is because I want to have 4 or 5 children and the risk of having that many sections is high. If I knew I didn't want any more after having 2 or 3 children I would go for c/s. My mw has said that VBA2C is quite high risk as is any more than 3 cs.

I think the important thing is to get as many FACTS as possible and make an INFORMED choice. Also bear in mind things like arranging child care for your existing children, recovery time and how stressful it could be if you try for a VBAC only to have an emergency cs. If you need a general anaesthetic for an emergency cs your partner will not be allowed in the room to see your DC born.

I am due in March 09 and have had a VBAC appt with mw to discuss options. I am seeing consultant on monday to confirm what I want to do. If you haven't got these sort of appts booked or had them already I would ask for them to get as much info as you can before you make your choice. Also you can change your mind ANYTIME. It is your CHOICE. Don't let anyone dictate to you. Good luck

HTH

LackaDAISYcal Wed 15-Oct-08 00:34:15

I had an emCS for failure to progress in forst labour (actually got to 9.5cms but was pushing on a cervical lip which swelled and baby wouldn't budge). Second baby opted for an elective section.

I'm now 37 weeks pregnant with No 3 and am aiming to have a VBA2C, and have moved mountains with consultants, not to mention hospitals to be able to have the birth that I would like. I have also hired a doula to help me achieve my ideal birth.

It's such an emotive and personal choice though so you have to do what you feel is best for you. I felt that as this baby was unplanned, it's like I've been given a third chance at having a natural delivery so am willing to go for it. I also have a short time between sections, but it's 17 months so a bit longer than you.

there are some very helpful links on page 2 of this thread which will perhaps help you weigh up the pros and cons.

There are risks associated with both options though, so it's a csase of balancing those risks with what you consoder to be acceptable. I wish you luck whichever option you decide to go for smile

and if you keep an eye out; I'll post my birth announcement on here in due course!

jabberwocky Wed 15-Oct-08 02:39:43

Had emergency section with ds1, elective with ds2. If we had a third i would definitely go with the section.

eidsvold Wed 15-Oct-08 09:00:27

had emergency with dd1
elective with dd2 - was going for VBAC but circumstances did not transpire for it.

dd3 - just went for c-section BUT we had family circumstances that the c-section was the better choice with regards to childcare of other dds and dd1's sn. This was the best choice for our family.

mumoverseas Wed 15-Oct-08 10:32:48

I'm expecting my 4th DC. 1st one 15 years ago a 'normal' delivery (if you can call 19 hours of puffing and panting and turning yourself inside our normal!) 2nd (12 years ago) and 3rd (2 years) ago both elective sections due to back problems. Due again in Feb and will have section. Even if didn't have back problems would want a section as surely you wouldn't be able to relax with the worry of whether you'd burst open during labour? thought they had some rules anyway with regards to previous sections and how 'new' the scar tissue is. Good luck when you see your consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now