Talk

Advanced search

At how many weeks did you start buying stuff for baby?

(23 Posts)
GruffaloSoldier Sun 12-Oct-08 14:37:52

Me and DH are in debate as to when we need to start buying things for baby. I was just wanting to get a general consensus of when people did or are planning to start buying things. Thanks!

lauraloola Sun 12-Oct-08 14:40:57

I had a scan at 7 weeks and when I got the ok I bought a few things. When I had my 12 week scan I bought loads! I stocked up on nappies, wet wipes, baby clothes for loads of ages!

I am so glad I did as now money is tight I know I have everything for dd.

We bought the pram when I was 37 weeks. I was superstitious but decided I didnt want the hassle once dd was here. I would recommend shopping around a lot as there are bargains to be had - Kiddicare.com is fab.

MadameOvary Sun 12-Oct-08 14:45:58

GS - Pretty much right away! Dont know your views on such things but i looked on Freecycle/Gumtree and got loads, just about all I needed.

flamingtoaster Sun 12-Oct-08 14:46:18

I was superstitious too (had been told I was likely to miscarry/deliver very early). My husband stood me outside Mothercare when I was 34+ weeks and said if I didn't buy the basics he would buy them himself on the Monday. I bought the basics.

differentWitch Sun 12-Oct-08 14:51:12

I've seen people buy as soon as they've got a positive result and one more than one occasion, we have had Dad in the shop as Mum is in labour buying everything.

mrsboogie Sun 12-Oct-08 14:58:39

I bought a few basics at 38 weeks and OH's parents organised cot, buggy etc as I wouldn't even have them in the house until after the birth. Superstitious a little?

MrsMattie Sun 12-Oct-08 16:19:26

Around 28 weeks with first pregnancy, although didn't buy the bulk of stuff until much closer to the edn, when I was on maternity leave.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant with no.2 and haven;t bought a single item yet grin

with this pregnancy bought a small outfit on my 30 bday when 6.5 weeks (just a white velour sleepsuit) after 12 weeks scan bought a small teddy.
after 20 week scan bought cream winnie the pooh booties and a white furry bear hat.
bought buggy,accessories for maxi cosi cabrio, cot,mattress,cot sheets. @ 24 weeks pregnant.
had a 3d scan @ 25 weeks then found out gender have now bought all the newborn outfits i will need for dd plus a pack of nappies and a mobile for maxi cosi cabrio seat.
i am now 26.5 weeks have everything except for a cot mobile

TheHedgeWitch Sun 12-Oct-08 16:52:17

Message withdrawn

LoveActually Sun 12-Oct-08 17:20:58

We have not bought anything and I'm 28 weeks.
But most of my friends and my family (sister) have children so we've got the basics covered.
Have been researching prams etc but to be honest don't want to buy too much until I know the baby is okay i.e. when it's born.
We are going to put a deposit on a pram/car seat and get the in laws to buy it when the bub arrives.
x

littlelamb Sun 12-Oct-08 17:32:36

Can' really remember with dd but I know I didn't buy much because I was in uni accomodation and didn't move out til 38 weeks! WIth ds I bought a few little clothes after 20 week scan when I was sure he was a boy (which the sonographer wouldn't confirm) but I had 'known' from the start he was a boy and it just felt special to buy him a few little blue bits. I think if you start too early there is a risk you will buy so much- towards the end I convinced myself I needed a moses basket, even though I had a pram with a carrycot suitable for overnight. Turned out to be a complete waste of money as he was a very very long baby

LoveActually Sun 12-Oct-08 17:41:52

Hello littlelamb I think I learned from my sister who has two daughters (now 6 and 4 but seems like yesterday) not to buy too much too soon. I also know we'll be inundated with clothes etc from my partner's parents as its their first grandchild. My dad is making a crib, which am quite surprised at at because it's his third grandchild and he is still excited!

ChocolateEclair Sun 12-Oct-08 17:47:01

We started buying at about 6 weeks blush but then this is our first baby and are very overexcited! Also, I thought it would be more fun to go shopping before I get bigger and more tired, and I have enjoyed it so far. I am now 16 weeks and have got most of the stuff for the nursery, we won't get the pram until much later though.

Also, if you start early you can get loads of bargains e.g. ebay, car boot sales and sales in the shops. I don't think I have paid full price for hardly anything!

mumoverseas Sun 12-Oct-08 17:59:29

I'm 20 weeks (with number 4) and only just bought one white outfit last week (am sure I bought much earlier with the other 3 but this one was a shock and was in denial until 16 weeks!) have scan next week and if we find out what flavour it is will probably buy lots then!

GruffaloSoldier Sun 12-Oct-08 19:05:04

Thanks for all the responses!I am 13+5 weeks so will probably wait til after 20 week scan and then start buying bits and pieces until birth I guess - if I can be that patient that is!

MrsBadger Sun 12-Oct-08 19:18:04

20wks

you need much, much less than you think

and, as MIL told me, the shops will still be open after the birth wink

Hux Sun 12-Oct-08 21:54:55

I'm 33 weeks with our first and have still not bought anything - i think i'm in denial about it all - although very excited! I think once we have the baby's room decorated i'll feel as though we have somewhere to put the stuff - until then I'm keeping mental lists!

HeadFairy Sun 12-Oct-08 21:57:03

After my anomoly scan at 22 weeks, and then the floodgates opened.....

waitinggirl Mon 13-Oct-08 12:31:49

30 weeks today and hoping to pick up a second hand pram this weekend. after 2 mc couldn't possibly have bought anything until after the 20 week scan. am still nervous about it. but v v excited.

pinata Mon 13-Oct-08 12:43:46

small bits from 20 week scan. the rest in the last couple of months, so 32 weeks+

tostaky Mon 13-Oct-08 13:30:28

30 weeks, nothing before as i was worried i would buy too many things!
Im 36 weeks now and i have to refrain myself from spending too much on too many things!

I got lots of things from friends too so im making plenty of savings that way!

hanaflower Mon 13-Oct-08 13:31:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kennedy77 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:29:50

hi all,
im 7 weeks with my first and im too scared to buy anything incase anything goes wrong,once ive had my 12 week scan il start buying which will tie in nicely with the next sale at the end of dec where i will be able to get lots of bargains i hope!!! nanny will buy loads for me as well i guess as this will hopefully be the first grandchild as well cant wait

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now