Talk

Advanced search

If they say they are more than 50% sure about the gender....

(18 Posts)
babyignoramus Sat 11-Oct-08 11:57:48

how sure are they??? We had our 20 week scan yesterday, everything is going fine (phew!). The ultrasound lady said she thinks its a boy but isn't sure as bub was in an awkward position with bum stuck in a corner! My sis has a theory that they are usually more sure than they let on but need to cover themselves! Would like to hear from others who been told similar thing, what was the outcome?

CarGirl Sat 11-Oct-08 11:59:49

I was given a 90 percent. I wouldn't be out buying blue on a more than 50%, usually if it's a boy they are more certain than they are with a girl IYSWIM

Purplepillow Sat 11-Oct-08 12:04:30

But they can get it so wrong.

My friend was told she was having twin boys but had twin girls.

So unless you have seen the penis for definate, I would wait until your next scan before buying for a particular sex.grin

ajm200 Sat 11-Oct-08 12:05:07

I know of one mum given 75% chance of a boy. Bought everything in blue. Her daughter is adorable.

We've been told 60% chance of a girl so we've bought one pack of pink babygros, a pink outfit and I've knitted several pink cardigans with cheap wool from ebay. Friends have given me pink things that their babies have grown out of but most of our first size is white as we didn't know what we were having last time.

Having a scan next week to check baby's position as I had an ECV this week. Now that they can see her bottom hopefully we won't be in for a shock.

MoonlightMcKenzie Sat 11-Oct-08 12:07:04

I told the sonographer not to bother telling us the sex unless she was 99% sure. 75% is no frigging help to anyone!

with our 3-d scan a week ago gave us an 88% chance of a girl and we saw the labia
have been buying lots of pink things

brettgirl2 Sat 11-Oct-08 12:53:32

Look at it this way, I can tell you with 50% certainty that you are having a boy! hmm

babyignoramus Sat 11-Oct-08 13:23:10

Pretty much what I thought - have told my mum to keep knitting neutral. I didn't see a willy myself! No more scans though assuming everything goes to plan so we'll just have to wait and see.

GYo Sat 11-Oct-08 17:58:36

Response to Tink- interesting that they still gave only 88% chance of girl even though labia on view! They really like to cover themselves dont they!

Qally Sun 12-Oct-08 04:14:32

The sonographer said "it's a boy." My husband asked if she was sure, and she said, "well, if it's not you're having a daughter with a scrotum."

I laughed harder than my poor bladder was comfortable with.

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Oct-08 07:52:31

We were told DD's sex at 12 week scan. He said at that stage all fetuses have external genitalia (which then gets incorporated into the body for girls). In boys, this part looks up. In girls, it looks down.

It may have been that his equipment was very high-tech, but baby's position wouldn't have mattered because he could freeze a 3D image, then cut away at it, and rotate to see whatever he wanted.

ajm200 Mon 13-Oct-08 08:53:44

Got another scan on Wednesday at 39+1. Lets hope they can work it out this time or we are in trouble smile

kayzisexpecting Mon 13-Oct-08 09:03:07

We weren't given a percentage but she did say that if this isn't DS2 she'd eat her shoes, hat and coat. Plus both DH and me saw a penis so we're both 100%

MrsMattie Mon 13-Oct-08 09:06:32

50% sure is as good as a guess, surely? hmm

Yorkshiremum Mon 13-Oct-08 11:24:47

I think it depends on the skill of the sonographer but with my DS2 we were told "probably" a boy - she didn't see the penis but said that what she could see looked too swollen to be labia and that she thought it was a scrotum. Obviously she was right but we had a 4D scan @ 28 weeks when it was confirmed anyway.

MoonlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Oct-08 11:38:04

I was told 100% girl. I asked if she was sure and she said:

'The baby is in a v good position. I can see everything and can tell you confidently that there's nothing there to see' LOL

MorocconOil Mon 13-Oct-08 11:42:45

With DD at the 20 week scan she said it was 60% likely to be a girl. She couldn't be certain because the legs were crossed.

MorocconOil Mon 13-Oct-08 11:48:32

With DD at the 20 week scan she said it was 60% likely to be a girl. She couldn't be certain because the legs were crossed.

We didn't believe she was a girl as we already had 2 DSs. I had to have an ECSC with DD and while they were wheeling me into theatre, making small talk the midwife told me about a Dad that tattoed a girl's name on his arm on the basis of being told it was a girl at the scan. When the baby was born it was a boy.shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now