Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

First trimester, feeling sick and gone off all drinks. Anything worked for you?

(16 Posts)
changer22 Fri 10-Oct-08 19:39:11

So this is my 5th pregnancy and I'm feeling much the same as usual - nauseous all day with occasional puking but I have gone off all drinks apart from Coke.

I am off my beloved tea (don't like coffee), can't stomach water or juices but I'm not sure my teeth or body can cope with a Coke only diet!

Anyone have a drink that worked for them?

Food is ok, so long as it is the one meal I want and isn't fruit based or cold...

DeJaVous Fri 10-Oct-08 19:41:10

'Giner tea' - thinly slicked fresh ginger and a bit of honey - really works for me. It's definitely worth a try.

Dropdeadfred Fri 10-Oct-08 19:43:00

black tea (with sugar)

lemon barley water (weak)

missblythe Fri 10-Oct-08 19:44:38

V. cold sparkling water?

I'm exactly the same as you, and hate the sight of myself knocking back Coke! The fizzy seems to take the edge of the nausea though, so I'm on sparkling water/tonic water/soda water depending on what's in the fridge.

snooks Fri 10-Oct-08 19:46:01

bizarrely grapefruit juice worked for me, although the mere thought of it now makes me pull a lemon-sucking face (but you never know!)

Bicnod Fri 10-Oct-08 19:51:15

lucozade sport was quite good when I was feeling nauseous... good luck! x

countingto10 Fri 10-Oct-08 20:06:05

When I had severe MS I could only let an ice cube melt in my mouth and I also found I could tolerate very hot, weak, sweet tea if I sipped it. I think the object is to get fluids down and sometimes it is the extremes of temperature that are easier for some reason. I could also tolerate those mini milk ice lollies.

brettgirl2 Fri 10-Oct-08 20:08:38

Lemonade

callmeovercautious Fri 10-Oct-08 20:10:11

I agree with the really cold fizzy water suggestion. That and tonic water, again really cold.

I sipped water all day when at work and sucked werthers originals - it helped keep me going - my problem was when I got home and had to think about food [yuck]

mrsgboring Fri 10-Oct-08 20:12:44

Know what you're going through here. I found (bizarrely) that milk was okay, especially full cream. But nothing is that brilliant. In first pg I went off all liquids altogether and just had to go with the flow. I only endedup with one filling after 2 pgs like that (and not being able to brush teeth properly either)

Using a straw will protect your teeth a bit. I found liquids more tolerable sipped slowly through a straw especially if I bit down hard on it at the same time

Hope it passes soon for you.

GruffaloSoldier Fri 10-Oct-08 20:36:48

pink grapefruit juice!

also sucked cough candy and ate pretzels. They saved me!

BabyBaby123 Fri 10-Oct-08 20:51:51

i am drinking loads of sicilian lemonade (the slightly bitter one) and also boiled water....

lauraloola Sat 11-Oct-08 11:18:18

I am addicted to diet coke. Its the only thing I have drunk for about the last 3 years! I drank it throughout my pregnancy too.

I did go off it for about a week and could only drink fizzy flavoured water that was really cold.

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Sat 11-Oct-08 11:22:46

lauraloola

I can't stop yself from saying
please think about your huge caffeine intake carefully

also the very real possibility of dehydration if it is all you drink

Millie26 Sat 11-Oct-08 13:11:16

I loved grapefruit juice too! And I didnt want any other juices. I froze it and sipped it slowly as it defrosted - amazingly relieving

Although as snooks says, I couldnt drink it now.

Just about getting onto tea again after 17 weeks - I empathise with you over that one!

changer22 Sat 11-Oct-08 18:49:41

Thank you all for your replies - it's nice to know I'm not alone.

It came to a head yesterday when I was secretly swigging Coke from my handbag at a toddler group and peeling DD off who was shouting 'me, me' saying 'oh no dear, this is just for mummies' - I felt like people must have thought there was alcohol in it!

I have been out today and bought lemon barley water, orange barley water (stuff of my childhood) and Duchy Organic ginger cordial (which better be good given the price!) and lots of fizzy water. It feels good to have options.

I'm tempted by DeJaVous's ginger tea. I shall give that a go when it gets cold.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: