Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Urgent: Anyone an expert on levels of protein in urine?

(12 Posts)
artichokes Fri 10-Oct-08 10:23:08

I am 31 weeks pregnant. With my first pregnancy I developed mild pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks. At this week's ante-natal appointment they deteced some protein in my urine and sent it off for further analysis. I have just found out that it came back as 24 units, the doctor says this is just out of the nromal range. I have to go in and do a 24 urine collection

I am gutted as I thought I was doing really well this pregnancy. I have no swelling, no headaches, my BP has occasionally been a little high but nothing terrible. I was all set for midwife led care and a natural delivery in teh MLU. Now I am all sad and shaky and about to leave for the hospital.

Google is not heling me find out information about protein levels. When are they really worrying? Is the doctor jsut being very cautious? Please help me find info before I go in smile.

MamaG Fri 10-Oct-08 10:25:00

Sorry artichokes am no expert, but surely the lack of other symptoms must be good news?

Good luck (and congrats, I didn't know you were pg )

artichokes Fri 10-Oct-08 10:30:22

Thanks MamaG - you must be nrealy due now. Did your damp undercarriage resolve?

I am sure it is a good sign that I feel well, but of course now I have receveid this news I am suddenly imagining I have headaches and my rings are tight etc etc etc. I am waaayyyyy to suggestible.

I would just feel better going in armed with some info so that the doctors so not panic me.

The thing is that dipsticks and MSUs aren't an accurate way of measuring protein, so thats why they want you to do a 24 hour test. Especially in view of your history.

Did they take blood from you yet - is your CRP raised do you know?

In your 3rd trimester levels of 10mg/100ml are normal and anything over 15mg/100ml is normally associated with pre-eclampsia. I'm guessing your 24 units is 24mg/100ml?????

Good luck, if it turns out your 24hour urine is OK then its better to be safe than sorry.

MamaG Fri 10-Oct-08 10:37:04

Yes damp undercarriage resolved thanks grin - now just im patiently waiting (37 weeks).

I do that too - if something is suggested, 15 minutes later I'm convinced I have it.

Keep bumping, sure somebody knowledgable will be along soon!

With your 24 hour test they normally look for a level 300mg per day or less. Guess the cut off point may vary from different hospitals. hmm

artichokes Fri 10-Oct-08 10:53:11

Thanks guys.

Stripey - those figures are really helpful. So 15/100ml is what I want but I have 24 (I don't get how the 300ml figure fits in with that).

artichokes Fri 10-Oct-08 11:07:12

A quick bump before I go to the hosp.
Any more advice out there?

MamaG Fri 10-Oct-08 13:00:51

Hope you are ok artichokes

artichokes Fri 10-Oct-08 19:16:57

Thanks for asking MamaG.

We are back from the hospital which in its self is good news. My BP was perfect but there is still protein in my urine so I have been sent home with lots of pots in which I must squeeze every drop of my pee over the weekend (lovely). I am also waiting on some blood results and they are going to call me tonight.

Touch wood all is OK. The doctors were really pleased about the BP as it would be very rare to have pre-eclampsia with such low BP smile.

MamaG Sat 11-Oct-08 08:50:38

Yay that sounds encouraging - lol at every drop of pee being contained, if anybody comes round they'll think you're one of those weird pee/faeces keepers grin

hi artichokes

hope test results r ok
i am 26 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now