Talk

Advanced search

Just found out I'm pregnant today [shock]!!! However I went to a party in the weekend...

(32 Posts)
shakespeare Thu 09-Oct-08 17:37:32

and indulged in a little more than just alcohol. I wasn't THAT indulgent but am now very worried re: the consequences, as is my partner. Does anyone know of any organisations that can give me some solid impartial alcohol/drug/pregnancy advice. Have tried FPA who put me on to 'Tommy' but there lines were closed. Have also spoke to 'Frank' the national drug helpline. Does anyone know of any other places I could contact? I don't want to make any rash decisions without knowing all the facts first.

Any advice/help gratefully appreciated!

kerryk Thu 09-Oct-08 17:39:36

what kind of drugs are we talking about?

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Thu 09-Oct-08 17:40:42

What did you take? Cannabis i'd expect would be ok... No idea who else to talk to TBH, apart from here

sclubheaven Thu 09-Oct-08 17:44:03

what did you take and what quantity are you talking about?

I would imagine the odds of damaging the baby are quite low for a one off indulgence.

shakespeare Thu 09-Oct-08 17:45:05

Not sure if I can talk openly but if not they'll delete! Ecstacy. One pill, wasn't very strong.

CountessDracula Thu 09-Oct-08 17:46:29

I'm sure it will be fine

My SIL took loads of acid when she was pg and didn't know it

LadyOfWaffleIsScaryEnough Thu 09-Oct-08 17:48:10

I am sure it'll be fine... there was probably more 'bulking out' stuff than actual E in it... I really wouldn't worry to hard about it {{hugs}} Ring the people you meantion when you can, but I think it'll be fine...

JuneBugJen Thu 09-Oct-08 17:50:17

Sure it will be fine. I did a Leo Sayer (all dayer) the first time I was PG with TONS of booze and fags. Baby ok (but a bit of a madam)

sure it will be ok so early in pregnancy with dd i was drinking lots and didnt know i was pregnant all fine

All the studies into ecstasy use during pregnancy seem to be about prolonged drug use, not a single dose, so don't let anything you read on the net scare you.

It is most likely that your baby will not be affected at all by it. The most common effect seems to be low birth weight - but again this is with continuing drug use throughout pregnancy. So don't worry.

You did not know you were pregnant, try not to beat yourself up about it.

jujumaman Thu 09-Oct-08 18:04:41

I did something similar when pg for the first time.

Also boozed, fagged and ate nothing but runny cheeses, raw meats etc for nine weeks as I had no idea I was pg, my periods came as normal and pregnancy was accident (I am a classy bird!)

To say I was shocked when I found out is an udnerstatement. Then I felt horribly guilty and worried about indulgences. But I found out it happens all the time and a one off is VERY unlikely to have any effect at all on a tiny foetus. Obviously prolonged use is a very bad idea. My dd1 was fine and healthy (though a little small, admittedly), in fact a much more docile baby than dd2 whose pregnancy was pure as the driven snow.

I don't think any helpline would help you more than these posts would, I mentioned it to a midwife who just said "oh shit" but didn't seem bothered otherwise though she did say she wouldn't mention it on my notes as other more judgemental souls might see it and give me a hard time. You and your baby will be fine, congratulations on your pregnancy

WorzselMummage Thu 09-Oct-08 18:48:39

My Daughter was unplanned and before i knew I was pregnant i'd been out every weekend takign pills, coke, ketamine and downing to voddy too. I was terrified when i discovered what i'd done and requested to speak to a consultant about it.. He was distinctly unfazed by it, you'd have thought it was a common occurance. He told me not to worry and that i wouldn't have done any harm atall, he said Coke can cause miscarriages but as it wasnt an ongoing thing i shoudn't worry.

They did schedule a growth scan for me at 36 weeks because i guess they had to consider that i wasnt being truthfull and was continuing my habits but of course i wasnt and i never got to the scan.

Nothing else was ever mentioned about it.

dd's fine

shakespeare Thu 09-Oct-08 19:56:24

Thanks for your messages ladies. There are some serious discussions going on in this household at the moment, let me tell you! DP is very very unsure. He thinks a termination and trying again might be better option (not flipantly I hasten to add), but reading around (and your message above), I'm just not sure such drastic measures are needed. WorzelMummage, what sort of consultant did you see and did your GP refer you?

jujumaman Thu 09-Oct-08 20:04:13

Shakespeare

I really think you have nothing to worry about. A termination could have far more serious effects on future efforts to conceive than one little pill will have had on your foetus. I know so many people who've had similar experiments, it's very common - why W's consultant was unfased - and all their babies are fine. Good luck.

WorzselMummage Thu 09-Oct-08 20:27:35

It was just a normal pregnancy Dr an obstitrition ( God i KNOW thats not how its spelt blush )My MW refered me, she was really reassuring about it all too and basicially not to worry.

I did of course worry about it all the way though not only that i had cause horrid damage to my daughter but that i was going to be labled a druggy and social services were going to come and take her away at the end..

None of it happened though, DDs fine, i am fine ( not a raving druggy ) i have never seen a social worker and dd's a good 6 inches taller than her classmates so no worries on her being tiny either.

really i wouldnt worry to much just put it behind you and relish the memory of your last decent party ;)

Comgratulations too grin

Ginni Thu 09-Oct-08 21:17:17

I took the pill for the first three months I was pregnant, had a couple of drink binges, took an antimalarial tablets, had a smear, took a bunch of holiday jabs, ate tons of soft cheeses and sushi and cleaned out cat litter on a daily basis, i'm keeping my baby, all seems to be fine so far had 3 scans and she looks beautiful, i'm 28 weeks, got my 4d scan tomorrow morning. I think your baby will be fine too!

Ginni Thu 09-Oct-08 21:18:14

Sorry, I should clarify, I meant the contraceptive pill not E! But my point is I took medication you're really not supposed to take while pregnant but am still keeping her. Just follow your heart.

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Thu 09-Oct-08 21:23:43

How pregnant are you? In the very early stages the placenta has not formed yet, and there is no blood link between you and your baby, so there is very little chance of anything passing from you to the baby. The blood link isn't fully formed until 12 weeks (but this doesn't mean all bets are off until 12 weeks, obviously!)

But certainly in the early days, you're unlikely to have caused harm, afaik.

As my GP said when I confided similar fears to him 'I've had junkie alcoholic mothers in my surgery who have given birth to healthy babies, so please try not to worry'

smile

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Thu 09-Oct-08 21:24:32

ps I had a line of coke and large amounts of gin when pregnant with DS (and didn't know I was pregnant) and he is the most perfect little boy alive, very bright and healthy. grin

Boobz Fri 10-Oct-08 09:41:40

I did laughing gas at a festival (where you breathe a balloon in and out with the gas in it - same stuff you use in labour) and felt horribly guilty about it when I found out I was pregnant (was brilliantly funny at the time though!) But was told by midwife that it almost certainly had had no effect.

cfc Fri 10-Oct-08 10:33:41

My lovely sis had a mad 5 months before she found out she was pg (drinking and coke) she has PCOS so never missed a period and she never had periods! And she did tests when she was putting on weight which came back neg....so she didn't know.

I also had a binge when I was prob no more than 2 weeks pg. I am worried, but reading the other messages has set my mind at ease and my sis's baby girl is perfect.

minniebeast Fri 10-Oct-08 10:49:28

hi Shakespeare. my ds was a surprise, and i had 2 heavy nights of drinking, over which i took 12 pills, before i knew i was pregnant. he was the healthiest baby, 9lb 10oz! he's now an absolutely gorgeous, bright, healthy 5 year old, and he's the best thing that ever happened to me! you really have nothing to worry about.Congratulations!

Boobz Fri 10-Oct-08 11:14:25

12 pills in 2 nights! Must have been the nights of your life! Reminds me of the closing parties in Ibiza last year... oh how I wonder if those days are gone forever. Sob.

sillyworrywort Fri 10-Oct-08 16:41:20

I found out that I was pregnant last night. I had done a test a few days before (5?) and it was negative so I had enjoyed many large glasses of wine after some stresses at work. None of those stresses compare to how I feel now though. I am totally convinced that the baby will have FAS and I was awake all night worrying about it. I wish I could rewind time. Everything I read is so doom and gloom. I am only four weeks - have I done as much damage as I think I have?? Currently convinced child will have tiny brain, flat face and all sorts. It's going to be a long nine (ten) months if I feel like this all time.

WorzselMummage Fri 10-Oct-08 16:45:55

bless you !

You baby and you are not even joined together yet blood wise. You could have drank gallons of wine before this point and it'll have no effect atall.

Dont beat yourself up about it, baby will be fine !

Most accidental babies are concieved under the influence i think and are born perfectly healthy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now