Talk

Advanced search

Possibly being a hyperchondriac but worried about pre-eclampsia

(9 Posts)
barbareebaa Thu 09-Oct-08 14:26:47

Feel a bit silly but just wondered if I could check with you ladies...

Am 35+2 (1st preg) and have headache, feel dizzy and nauseus (eek sp)but not really bad just feel out of sorts. The last 2 mw checkups have had trace protein in wee (never thought anything about it) but BP fine.

Should I just see how I feel later? Or should I phone mw?

Don't want to be a time waster or anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

x

CaptainKarvol Thu 09-Oct-08 14:31:39

I'd phone, mostly because of the dizziness. I had PE at 40 weeks - my main symptom was dizziness. It's only a minute for them to check your wee and BP.

SorenLorensen Thu 09-Oct-08 14:31:47

If you are worried, call your midwife. Don't sit and fret about it. If it is pre-eclampsia it's best to know now, rather than later. I was induced for pre-eclampsia with ds1 (two weeks early) and all was fine. So get checked out!

barbareebaa Thu 09-Oct-08 14:49:03

Thank you for your replies!
I will call.
It's just I only had a mw appointment yesterday and apart from the trace protein all was fine (apart from breech baby - that's another story!!)
So I think the mw's going to think I've been googling protein in urine and imagining the symptoms.
I mean you would think that.
I defo would!!
Gah.

barbareebaa Thu 09-Oct-08 15:10:32

MW said that I should get my iron levels checked so phoned surgery and it will take 2 days.
I guess I just sit tight and eat my greens!

CaptainKarvol Thu 09-Oct-08 15:19:16

Glad you phoned! Do keep an eye on things though. If your vision goes at all odd, phone your midwife or traige or someone.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Oct-08 15:25:35

Hiya

I've had PET twice, dizziness is more likely to be a blood sugar thing than PET. Make sure they do a dip test next visit!

LiegeAndLief Thu 09-Oct-08 15:32:43

I have had quite severe PET/HELLP syndrome with normal bp and urine. Watch out for symptoms of PET (headache, visual disturbances, sudden swelling esp of hands, face and feet, pain under the ribs) and if in any doubt give your mw/gp another call. Good luck!

1CEBITTEN Tue 21-Oct-08 12:44:12

I had preclampsia, didnt feel unwell just tired although I was told afterwards I looked swollen.

I was induced on my due date but had eclampsia 10 hours after the birth whilst on the ward. I had complained of headache following the birth, which pain killers did nothing for and had vision problems during the night about 3 hours after the birth and again just before havung the eclamptic fit, but apart from checking my blood pressure (which had been low throughout my pregnancy) the midwives did nothing else.

The eclamptic fit happened suddenly with no forewarning for me so I was lucky I wasnt holding the baby. I was 'out' for several hours and kept on monitors for a day or so (I cant remember anything about this).

I was lucky I had no (that I know about anyway....lol) organ damage afterwards. Although I believe it did affect my second pregnancy.

My advice to you...
Dont ignore any signs no matter how small, swelling of ankles, fingers, abdominal twinges, vision loss (I had blobs in front of my eyes like when you stare at a light bulb...), and headache. Things happen too fast and its best to be safe than sorry.

I dont believe my midwives read the signs (check out the odds of getting eclampsia, they've probably not seen the symptoms).

Hope all goes well for you. I had total faith in the medics, have a healthy lack of faith and question things and you'll be ok. Its your/your babys life after all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now