Advanced search

had an x-ray and didnt know i was pregnant, now worried! Has anyone else had same?

(9 Posts)
sparkle73 Wed 08-Oct-08 23:05:43

I had an X-ray last week on my lower back ( had to have injections in my back and they had to take 3 or 4 pictures). I did one of those pregnancy tests which tells you 6 days early just in case i was, i only did the test one day early but it was negative so didnt think there was anything to worry about. Then on sat i found out i was pregnant!
I am worried sick, doctor says it is nothing to worry about as i am only 4 weeks and it was before any of the organs have started forming, but have read some worrying things on the interenet ( wrong thing to do really! 0
Was wondering if anyone else has had this and if everything was ok? am so worried about it

mehgalegs Wed 08-Oct-08 23:08:16

I sat with DS1 whilst he had his arm xrayed not knowing I was PG with DS3. He was fine.

TinkerBellesMum Wed 08-Oct-08 23:21:12

I'd go with what the doctor says. Remember X-rays used to be routine in pregnancy.

sparkle73 Wed 08-Oct-08 23:31:32

Thanks to you both, i am driving myself crazy worrying and that won't help! My friend also said that they used to x-ray pregnant women, didnt know that......

LovelyDear Wed 08-Oct-08 23:31:53

this happened to me - i had dental xrays and then found out i was pg. i was really worried after googling but he was fine.

FromGirders Wed 08-Oct-08 23:40:45

Used to be common to x-ray women in pregnancy. When my grandmother was pg with my mum, she was x-rayed every fortnight. Mum is fine, although we do joke that she glows in the dark.

sparkle73 Wed 08-Oct-08 23:42:11

Well after searching on the internet ( which I have now found out isnt the best thing to do!) dental x-rays seem to be fine, but all i can think about is that it was my lower back which is obviously near to my tummy! I'm glad everything was ok with you....

TinkerBellesMum Wed 08-Oct-08 23:42:22

My dad is a radiographer and used to do it all the time. They used them to check on the baby before ultrasound and to measure the pelvis.

He tells a story of a rather large woman who came into A&E complaining of pain. They sent her to X-ray and it took a rather high setting to get through her fat. Dad told the doctor he wouldn't turn it up anymore even though they couldn't see anything. Doctor got cross with him and demanded to know why not. Dad held the X-ray up and said "There's the baby's head..." She was in labour and didn't know she was pregnant! It's not a routine X-ray, but I thought it was amusing anyway.

sparkle73 Wed 08-Oct-08 23:44:58

Oh thanks loads, i feel better already, so glad i found this site, only joined this evening, its great to have people to talk to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now