Talk

Advanced search

Waters broke at 27 weeks

(44 Posts)
coldtea Thu 03-Mar-05 11:36:26

I have just had a call from my friends husband to say her waters broke on sunday & she was just 27+4 weeks. She is now 28+1weeks & is on the delivery suite , naturally her husband is very worried. They wouldn't let her eat last night in case she needed to have a c-section , as far as i know she is contracting but not dilating , he says the baby will be born , possibly today. Does anyone have any encouragement or positive stories of babies born this early to put a worried husband & friends mind at rest please.

pinkmama Thu 03-Mar-05 11:39:32

Sorry to hear that coldtea. I ahve no personal experience, but care for premature babies has come on so much. Couldnt pass by your thread without sending you some good thoughts, I really hope all goes well, let us know.

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Mar-05 11:41:27

Hope she is having antibiotics?

And steroid injections

is there a NNU ITU?

Which hosp is it?

My waters broke at 23 weeks then stayed in until 27 + 5

Good luck to them

Fastasleep Thu 03-Mar-05 11:46:28

27+4 would have been right on the cusp of whether they would have much chance of caring for the child succesfully or not, she's very lucky to have lasted to 28+1! Every day that she's lasted has brought them a little more hope... I've followed the story of triplets born at about the same gestation, they all survived, I think only one had serious brain damage...but they were triplets and born under different circumstances.... they must be so scared, wishing them all the luck in the world!

lockets Thu 03-Mar-05 11:52:58

Message withdrawn

coldtea Thu 03-Mar-05 12:15:49

Thank you for replying so quickly. She is in Queen Marys hospital in Sidcup. I don't know too much at the moment i can't reach him as he is at the hospital. I know they took him around the neo-natal ward yesterday to show him where the baby will be , and they told him the baby will be given something to strenghten it's lungs. Will keep you updated when i hear anything. Thank you

Fastasleep Thu 03-Mar-05 12:22:28

I don't know if I could hold it together in that situation, they must be being so brave! The baby might have to be on a few different types of breathing apparatus at first... and breastfeeding could be incredibly difficult if she's even contemplating that at this point! But I've heard countless nurses say 'the smaller they are the harder they fight' as long as the little one can avoid brain haemorrhages it stands a really good chance... it's going to be very very worrying for them through the next few weeks and possibly months!

Fastasleep Thu 03-Mar-05 12:23:18

My goodness everything I say ends up sounding pessimistic!

lockets Thu 03-Mar-05 12:28:44

Message withdrawn

sacha3taylor Thu 03-Mar-05 12:33:11

I have no experiece of this but I wanted to say I will be thinking of your friend. Good luck with everything and as everyone else has said, babies are fighters if they need to be.

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Mar-05 12:40:04

Yes she should try to express straight away

I only had less than 1 ml

but at frist DS had TPN {which is given via a drip, it is a yellow fluid with everything they need}

Then he moved onto tube feeds and had one ml several times a day.

The sucking reflex didn't arrive until about 35 weeks [can't remember exactly}

Needed ventilating then CPAP then low flow

And photo therapy for journdice

Good luck to your friend

lockets Thu 03-Mar-05 12:41:57

Message withdrawn

coldtea Thu 03-Mar-05 12:45:39

This is their first baby & her poor dh doesn't really know. I was trying to make sense of what he was saying. All i know is that she is having contractions every few minutes but her cervix hasn't dilated at all. I'm not sure why she is on delivery as i've had my babies at this hospital & they won't put you into delivery until you're 3cm. I assume it's so their ready in case they need to do an emergency c-section. I know she doesn't want this as it will mean not being able to drive herself to the hospital to see the baby.

Lockets , that was really positive re the bf as i know she was keen to bf.

Fastasleep ,it's better to hear all angles so don't worry if it sounds negative.

Kangamummy , how did you manage to hold on to the baby? Another friend seems to think she will have to have the baby in the next few days because of the risk of infection??

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Mar-05 12:53:24

I have no idea, alot of praying I guess

I was in hospital on bed rest

not allowed out of ward.

I had contrations at first but then stopped but continued leaking.

She must have antibiotics though

Then labour started again naturally

Had weekly steriod jabs

RTKangaMummy Thu 03-Mar-05 12:54:39

lockets

lockets Thu 03-Mar-05 12:55:57

Message withdrawn

coldtea Thu 03-Mar-05 14:17:30

Bump! Any more positive stories??

pinkmama Fri 04-Mar-05 10:59:50

Any news coldtea?

Pamina3 Fri 04-Mar-05 11:04:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pamina3 Fri 04-Mar-05 11:08:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hotmama Fri 04-Mar-05 11:18:39

Hopefully this will help. I work with 2 people who had very early deliveries.- one was at 24 weeks and the other at 28 weeks.

The 28 weeks baby is now 5 and has started maintream school has had some developmental problems but has caught up and is expected to be 'normal'.

The 24 weeks baby had a few breathing problems and had to have oxygen available when at nursery but doesn't anymore. She is a right little madam and a bit of a whirlwind and developmentally fine.

These are the only 2 cases I know about - so hopefully it's not all doom and gloom. . Crossed fingers that things turn out O.K.

crunchie Fri 04-Mar-05 11:26:57

My baby was born at 27+5 and is now nearly 6 and perectly fine. It is scarey at first and your friend will be worried.

Firstly to say every baby is different and ALL have different problems, some may have long term issues and some may not. 2ndly don't worry about the c-section. Your friend will probably be abel to stay in thehospital for at least a few days/weeks and may even be able to stay in teh neonatal until if she cannot drive. I had my baby in London and lived in Colchester, so for about 8 days I was in hospital and then 7 weeks in a Ronald McDonald house attached to the hospital (this is a house that parents of sick kids can stay in if they live too far or need to be on hand). As it is I drove about 3 - 4 wekks later.

Good luck for your friend.

coldtea Fri 04-Mar-05 13:07:48

The baby was born at 2.30am this morning , little boy weighing in at 2lb 10oz , we only found this out by text so we're still waiting to hear more details. Still can't reach her dh as he as at the hospital , visiting hours are 3-6pm today (phoned the hospital to find out) they obviously won't give us any details other than to say my friend is fine. Hopefully we'll reach him & if she is up to visitors we'll be able to see the little man. Will update when i hear more. I really appreciate everyones kind words & thoughts.

Toothache Fri 04-Mar-05 13:09:17

Coldtea - Fingers crossed for the wee soul! Sounds like he's a good weight though.

lockets Fri 04-Mar-05 13:09:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now