Talk

Advanced search

Hip pain continues...

(5 Posts)
staryeyed Tue 07-Oct-08 18:00:07

Im 12 weeks pg and I am suffering really bad hip pain when I sleep on my side. I try to make myself as comfortable as possible with pillows etc. but I still get really bad pain on which ever side I sleep on. I sleep on one side then when the pain gets bad I switch but then I can feel it in both sides. I then switch to my back but I remember something about not sleeping on your back when pregnant. Also the hip pain lasted all day yesterday. Not really sure what to do.

SlightlyDoolally Tue 07-Oct-08 20:13:19

Hello staryeyed. I had a similar experience last week(I'm 15 weeks): after reading in pregnancy books that you should sleep only on your side after 12 weeks I determinedly lay on my left hand side for several nights running and ended up with a horrible pain in my right hip. It woke me up at night and gradually got really painful to walk on. Went to see my chiropractor and he said that my sacroeliac joint had separated due to muscles being more stretchy in pregnancy. He did some adjustments, and although it was still massively painful for about 2 more days, it's ok again now.

I asked him whether it really was dangerous to sleep on your back in pregnancy, and he said that you'd wake up through being uncomfortable before you did any harm to the baby and just to sleep however was most comfy while I still had the chance! So just passing that on!

Kiwifruit Wed 08-Oct-08 01:59:38

Hi- I've been having this problem on and off, and went to see an ante natal physio. She said to sleep on your side, with pillows between your legs, then one behind your back, and one under your knees, so you're on a slight angle (not right on your back or right on your side IYSWIM). This did help, although meant that DH was relegated to the spare bed as not enough room in our bed for him, me, bump and pillows! Did it for a week or so, and it did help - have stopped now, and still no recurrence of hip pain.

Also, try to keep your knees together as much as possible (getting in and out of bed, the car, when sitting on the sofa etc) - the pain is caused by inflammation of the pelvic joints - she called it pelvic arthropothy (sp?) - not sure if this is the same as SPD though?), and is made worse when you part your legs too much (isn't that what got us into this position in the first place?? wink). I also use a pelvic support belt (actually 2 - one a little thin one, then a big neoprene one over the top - am in NZ, so not sure what is available in the UK). She also got DH pushing trigger points over my iliosacral joint at least once a day, followed by a hot wheat bag to ease off tension in my lower back.

Sorry, bit of a waffle, but hope there's something in there that might help - there's nothing worse than not being able to sleep!

staryeyed Wed 08-Oct-08 17:42:54

thanks for the advice I will look into it.

Jenski Wed 08-Oct-08 17:50:56

I have heard same as Kiwifruit. Sleeping with a pillow between your knees on your side. I think that this is to stop your top knee going over the other knee (does that make sense?) and thus stretching your hip. If it continues into pregnancy you can continue to do this and also put a pillow under your bump.

I have to admit, I sometimes still wake up having rolled over onto my tummy (am 32 weeks shock).... but don't know I've done it till I wake up!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now