Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should i go to hospital?

(11 Posts)
MrsMattie Tue 07-Oct-08 17:01:06

I'm almost 33 weeks pregnant. I've had a heavy head cold for 5 days now. Since yesterday I have developed a chesty cough and it's very painful when I cough - hurts my throat, chest and bump and feels like needles sticking into me sad.
Baby has been very quiet for the last 3 days. It is still moving, but much less frequently and more gently than before. I phoned the community midwife yesterday to try to get an appointment but she was booked up and couldnt speak to em on the phone - relayed a message to see my GP. GP receptionist said I should go to the hospital if I had concerns and that was what GP would tell me.

So - DH is out tonight at an awards ceremony. He is already there, phone switched off, won't be back until midnight-ish. Should I be panicking and going to hospital tonight? I don't have any childcare at all tonight sad. Or should I wait until first thing tomorrow morning and go down there? I am so full of cold I can't think straight.

CS7 Tue 07-Oct-08 17:03:04

Go to hospital. Take the kids with you and go. Even though you may feel like you're making unnecessary fuss, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

Hope all goes well and you feel better soon. c

Oh you poor thing sad If you didn't have a cold would you be worried about the baby's movement. I don't think the cold will affect the baby but if you are worried about movement you do need to go tonight. Try drinking a glass of cold orange juice and lying down for a while to see if you can feel movements.
I went in with dd once because I hadn't felt her move for ages, the midwife said she would always rather someone come in if they worried rather than leave it and something awful happen (which I'm sure isn't the case btw)
Take care smile

belgo Tue 07-Oct-08 17:04:56

yes go to hospital, with the children. Hope everything's alright.

EffiePerine Tue 07-Oct-08 17:05:29

Do you the number for the mat ward on your notes? Youcould try ringing them rather than the mw.

If no, I'd go and get checked out (and take snacks and toys for child-amusing)

belgo Tue 07-Oct-08 17:05:37

a normal cold shouldn't effect the baby's movements but some other viruses do.

Frightattendent Tue 07-Oct-08 17:08:09

Are any of us near you to mind the children (poss at the hospital?) with you?

I know how horrid it is trying to get seen with little ones in tow. sad

I'm in East Kent.

NorthernLurker Tue 07-Oct-08 17:08:16

Go to the hospital. They should check the baby and they should check you. Then complain about your midwife - it is absolutely disgraceful that she didn't even speak to you direct. I believe pregnancy increases the risk of pulmonary embolism (amongst other things) and if you are ringing up with chest pain and coughing etc she should be taking steps to ensure that's not the case with you. I don't want to alarm you, I'm sure it's just a cold - but I know somebody who had a PE and came through ok - after some hairy moments. Go to the hospital.

MrsMattie Tue 07-Oct-08 20:44:34

Thanks so much for all your responses. Managed to get an emergency appt. at local walk-in clinic. Baby seems fine, but have to go back tomorrow to double check. Had bath a little while ago and he/she started to move loads, which has put my mind slightly more at ease.

EffiePerine Tue 07-Oct-08 21:40:19

Glad you got some reassurance

lecohen Tue 07-Oct-08 22:37:10

Hope all is ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now