I'm almost 33 weeks pregnant. I've had a heavy head cold for 5 days now. Since yesterday I have developed a chesty cough and it's very painful when I cough - hurts my throat, chest and bump and feels like needles sticking into me . Baby has been very quiet for the last 3 days. It is still moving, but much less frequently and more gently than before. I phoned the community midwife yesterday to try to get an appointment but she was booked up and couldnt speak to em on the phone - relayed a message to see my GP. GP receptionist said I should go to the hospital if I had concerns and that was what GP would tell me.
So - DH is out tonight at an awards ceremony. He is already there, phone switched off, won't be back until midnight-ish. Should I be panicking and going to hospital tonight? I don't have any childcare at all tonight . Or should I wait until first thing tomorrow morning and go down there? I am so full of cold I can't think straight.
Oh you poor thing If you didn't have a cold would you be worried about the baby's movement. I don't think the cold will affect the baby but if you are worried about movement you do need to go tonight. Try drinking a glass of cold orange juice and lying down for a while to see if you can feel movements. I went in with dd once because I hadn't felt her move for ages, the midwife said she would always rather someone come in if they worried rather than leave it and something awful happen (which I'm sure isn't the case btw) Take care
Go to the hospital. They should check the baby and they should check you. Then complain about your midwife - it is absolutely disgraceful that she didn't even speak to you direct. I believe pregnancy increases the risk of pulmonary embolism (amongst other things) and if you are ringing up with chest pain and coughing etc she should be taking steps to ensure that's not the case with you. I don't want to alarm you, I'm sure it's just a cold - but I know somebody who had a PE and came through ok - after some hairy moments. Go to the hospital.
Thanks so much for all your responses. Managed to get an emergency appt. at local walk-in clinic. Baby seems fine, but have to go back tomorrow to double check. Had bath a little while ago and he/she started to move loads, which has put my mind slightly more at ease.