Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

did you have c-section after c-section question....

(14 Posts)
ribeyesteak Tue 07-Oct-08 08:06:42

Hello,

I had an elective c-section with dc1 and with moving house mid pregnancy and out of the community midwife area but staying at the same hospital my ante-natel care has been a tad on the (even more) impersonal side if you know what I mean...

Anyway, At my booking in I requested another elective c-section and it was written in my notes. I am due to meet my consultant for the first time at the hospital in 2 weeks when I am 34 weeks.

My GP who I see for in between antenatel care has assured me that once I am down for a c-section it won't change, and the midwife I saw at the hospital at 24 and 28 weeks was a bit (sorry) useless in what will happen next...at 28 scan she made a comment about baby not being big and probably just excess amneotic fluid!! (scan yesterday fluid was normal)

Anyway, I am worried that at my 34 week consultant appointment the consultant will insist I try for a natural birth.

QUESTION: is that possible, will they make me try for a natural birth?

DC1 was a big baby with a huge head (hence c-section, and was right choice as surgeons said after the birth - which was a struggle with forcepts there was no other way out for him).

This baby at scans at 25 and 32 weeks measuring the same..... but what if baby doesn't grow much more in the next few weeks and they think I can push???

I am so scared, I am convinced if I am forced to go through labour baby and I will die.... sorry I know it sounds all a bit paranoid and severe, but it's how I feel....

So if there is anyone out there who has been in the same situation give me some reasurrance it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

ribeyesteak Tue 07-Oct-08 08:09:14

sorry, I mean to say 28 week MIDWIFE APPT not scan she made a comment about baby not being big and probably just excess amneotic fluid!! (scan yesterday fluid was normal)

PortAndLemon Tue 07-Oct-08 08:11:00

It's possible, but unlikely. He/she may talk you through your options again, but with one section (literally) under your belt already it's very unlikely you'd be pushed into a VBAC.

SazzlesA Tue 07-Oct-08 08:14:18

Message withdrawn

mumoverseas Tue 07-Oct-08 08:51:54

think a lot depends on how long ago your last section was? Think the scar tissue needs a few years to heal other wise when pushing you might burst open (like in the scene from Alien!) The consultant will/should be sensible about this and if you are anxious about a normal delivery (is there such thing?) then he/she should take your concerns into account.
I had a section 12 years ago for DD1 and another one 2 years ago for DD2 and am expecting to have another one in February when I have my next/last one!
Try not to worry about it, don't forget midwifes don't know everything! Good luck

sunshine185 Tue 07-Oct-08 08:59:56

Message withdrawn

eidsvold Tue 07-Oct-08 09:08:51

i found I more had to push for a vbac than I did for an elective. I had an emergency with dd1 - wanted a vbac for dd2 ( consultant was very pro choice - it was up to me) others around pushed me to an elective.

I ended up with an elective - for a number of reasons - again consultant was very supportive.

When I came to dd3 - it was just assumed I would have a c-section.

mazzystartled Tue 07-Oct-08 09:17:48

Have you seen your consultant yet? I am assuming you will as technically "high risk".

In your position I would push for a meeting with the consultant [and try to get the con. or reg.] and be very specific about your concerns and fears. They may try to encourage you to vbac, but they are very unlikely to disregard your wishes.

Personally, as lulumama will confirm, I dithered and dithered re my c/s vs vbac decision until 41 weeks, and had the c/s. [I think I made the wrong decision, but that is another story]

ribeyesteak Tue 07-Oct-08 09:47:39

No thats the thing mazzystartled, I haven't seen my consultant and won't do for another 2 weeks for the first time!!

I forgot to ask at my 16 week midwife appointment as I was in bits about my blood results and she acted all doomed about my pregnancy progressing let alone consultant appointments!! I am high risk in terms of bloods (long story!) and previous big baby, but no cons appointment???!

and at my next midwife at 28 weeks (or was it 24) where she just booked me in with the consultant for 34 weeks...

All my other in between antenatel has been with my GP as I am out of area....

Hence my all over the place paranoid anxious post!

mazzystartled Tue 07-Oct-08 10:23:11

I think there is usually an earlier consultant appt [you are "high risk" once you have had a c/s, but its not unusual for them to only really want to talk seriously about delivery nearer to d-day [or should that be b-day?] so you are probably not missing out on much.

I think I would - via your gp if that is your usual point of call or midwife - ask for them to sort out for you to see the consultant themselves if possible. Have met some lovely house officers in the past, great bedside manners, but not in a position to talk through your options with you in the detail you might feel that you need. As I understand it, whilst many hosps are pro-vbac, there is virtually no chance of you being forced into it. In fact I was told that even if I waited until labour started I could still ask for c/s at any point.

FWIW though, it is maybe worth looking at some of the VBAC threads on here and giving it some thought. Just to alleviate some of your fears.

PortAndLemon Tue 07-Oct-08 11:34:48

IME you tend to only see more junior doctor at a "consultant" appointment anyway, unless you are unusually interesting (which I'm sure you are, but medically interesting) over and above the run of normal high risk cases. And also IME they aren't likely to quibble unless you are breaching some sanctified hospital policy, which a repeat c-section wouldn't be.

FioFio Tue 07-Oct-08 11:36:42

Message withdrawn

ribeyesteak Tue 07-Oct-08 15:42:05

thanks everyone, very useful..

mazzstartled, i think you are right that they dont want to talk about delivery until nearer the time... last time it was 37 weeks, i'm at UCH london!

abbymeg Tue 07-Oct-08 16:41:12

I'm in a very similar situation to you; first birth (DD) was emergency c-section as she was a big baby. I wanted elective this time, went in at 24 weeks. They didn't even ask about the baby's size this time. I explained why I wanted one - to avoid the long and traumatic labour of last time - and the dr explained the risks of both, but said it was my choice and booked me in straight away.

Prior to going I was really worried. I had a thread on here asking about it - whether people had to fight to get one - and the majority of people had found they got a repeat c-section without any problems. I asked DH to go with me as my backup (which is quite funny as he's very laid back and non-confrontational), he was relieved that he wasn't really needed grin. I also took advice that people gave me on here to read a bit about VBAC so I was informed of my choices.

I was given the impression at my hospital that once you've had a c-section, it's pretty straight forward to have another. Try not to worry too much, and if for any reason they say no (I would be surprised) then ask for a second opinion. Given that it's already been agreed by one hospital, I find it unlikely that there will be an issue.

I hope it goes well for you smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now