I know this is a v personal choice and dont really know what replies im hoping for but ive just gone over and over it in my head. One minute i am going to have them the next im not. My husband is really trying to help but im just so confused and all of a sudden worried.
Im 12+5 and just had a scan which they said all was fine, beautiful pic of baby waving! V strong heartbeat and a little wriggler! Nothing more was mentioned and we came away. If i was low risk after having tests then that would be that (unless obiously something picked up at 20wk scan) and i would know no more until hopefully delivering a healthy baby, But if im high risk then what???? I think i would probaby go on to have an amnio, but what if results are not what we want? Im just stuck at a brick wall at this point and my heart and head seem to differ.
Im not sure what reply i am after but anything will help.... Thanks..
its alot to think of, isnt it? I just weigh up outcomes. The test itself, initially, is a blood test that gives you a number. Then, if that number is higher than 1:250, you are considered high risk & offered further tests.
Does dh want you to have the test? Do you have a gut feeling?
I guess what im staying away from saying/writing is.. i dont know how we would cope with a downs baby so fear the worst if my results come back high. I know the amnio carries a risk but i think i would rather know for def then face the tough decision of what to do next. I actually feel quite positive but you never know do you, i dont actually know where my worried thoughts have just poppped up from! My husband has same/similar views to me but in some ways is a little more harsh (is that the right word-not sure sounds harsh!!) But im the one carring the baby and im a women!
I think that if you are wondering how you would cope then maybe a test is a good idea? Then you could decide what to do if something was wrong - be taught what the issues are with children that have downs(for example), and then decide from there.
Afaik tripple test isn't very accurate (about 60% iirc?) so that's a big inaccuracy you have to deal with before you even go down the route of further testing.
Then you need to consider what you would do with the result. Do you feel strongly enough about not wanting a baby with downs to risk miscarrying a healthy baby if you had an amnio? For every two babies dianosed with downs through amnio, three babies that do not have downs are miscarried.
For me personally it would come down to whether i would terminate a pregnancy. And given I had no intentions of terminating a pregnancy I saw no point in having any of the tests.