Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Peanuts

(10 Posts)
Twiga Wed 02-Mar-05 13:29:56

Am I right in thinking that this is one of the foods I should be avoiding in pg? Thing is have gone off food in a big way and one of the few things I fancy just now is peanut and jam sandwiches. Am I ok to keep eating these? Sorry if this is a daft question!

Tommy Wed 02-Mar-05 13:33:17

I was told in my first pregnancy to avoid them (this was after all I had eaten for the first 6 weeks was peanut butter sandwiches!)but by the time I was pg with number 2 (18m later) I was told i should avoid them if my DH or I had any serious allergy problems - excema or asthma. We don't so I carried on eating peanut butter. Pregnant again now but having just done WW after DS2, I really don't want to get back on to them again!
I'm sure there's some "official" advice somehwere!

bonym Wed 02-Mar-05 13:35:44

It is recommended that you avoid peanuts as they could trigger an allergy in your baby. However, I believe that the latest recommendations are that it is only necessary to avoid them if there is a history of allergies in your immediate family (any allergies - not just food related). I haven't been eating them during my pregnancy just to be on the safe side (apart from early on when I bought a packet of chocolate ones and got half way through before I remembered I shouldn't be having them!

biglips Wed 02-Mar-05 13:39:14

Not sure about peanuts spread but at the beginning of pg its a no no as may set off an peanut allergy for baba, but ive only had a handful of peanuts throughout my pg but then when i was 7 months onwards..

but i may be wrong on peanuts spread - i wonder myself

lockets Wed 02-Mar-05 13:40:20

Message withdrawn

Twiga Wed 02-Mar-05 16:25:26

No history of allergy in family, so assume is ok?! Thanks for your replies.

LittleB Thu 03-Mar-05 12:21:24

I couldn't eat peanuts because of dp's hayfever, but i've been eating cashewnut butter instead. Its a good alternative when you get those cravings, although it is more expensive.

Twiga Thu 03-Mar-05 13:08:34

Great tip Littleb, might be worth the expense to prevent the worry of should I shouldn't I! Is it easy enough to get hold of?

LittleB Thu 03-Mar-05 13:51:17

I get it in a local health food shop, but if they stock it here in the depths of the west country I expect you can get it anywhere. Try larger supermarkets, healthfood shops or delis.

mummytosteven Thu 03-Mar-05 14:58:46

agree with twiga and bonym - that should only be a problem if any family history of nut allergies, exczema, asthma or hayfever. coz I have a brazil nut allergy I was advised to avoid all nuts during PG

holland and barrett should do cashew nut butter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now