Talk

Advanced search

Anyone managed to turn a footling breech by inversion or hot/cold packs?

(22 Posts)
ajm200 Fri 03-Oct-08 19:52:37

Hi,

Just been told baby has flipped and is now a footling breech at 37.5 weeks. Anyone managed to turn baby using a hot pack at the base of your bump and a cold one on top or using inversion?

HeadFairy Fri 03-Oct-08 19:54:55

My ds was a footling breech, sorry I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but he didn't move with anything. No amount of pushing, shoving, coaxing would move him. He was stretched out in there, feet deep in my pelvis and head tucked under my ribs. He was ecs in the end. Hope you have better luck!

mamazee Fri 03-Oct-08 19:56:22

try acupuncture...my partner is one and has 100% success rate turning breech babies
defo worth a try.

ajm200 Fri 03-Oct-08 19:57:44

msamazee - he doesn't practice in Berkshire does he?

HeadFairy Fri 03-Oct-08 19:59:10

mamazee - do they stay turned? I know about 4% of breech babies never turn or don't stay the right way up (or down) I was convinced after all the efforts that ds just didn't want to turn and I don't think anything would have turned him.

ajm200 Fri 03-Oct-08 20:11:31

I've been told that baby is small and although my bump is small there is plenty of fluid so I'm hopeful ECV booked for Tues

mamazee Fri 03-Oct-08 20:11:53

no ajm in somerset
they have all turned.
i guess some ds won't turn
my ds turned mid labour when he used a point.
try contacting an acupuncturist and ask if they have done it before and how successful it was ?
my dp taught the women/their partners how to do it themselves with moxa (kind of heats the area) on a point in the foot so that there is more chance of it working.
good luck

ajm200 Sun 05-Oct-08 10:18:42

Baby has made a few attempts to turn herself back but not succeeded, any other ideas on how to turn her would be appreciated. i'm looking into accupuncture but can't get anything arranged before Tues

Each time she tries it feels like my tummy will split.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 05-Oct-08 10:22:53

My friend had a footling breach turned in hospital at 37 weeks. She was booked in for a CS and was desperate not to have one. Good luck!

ajm200 Sun 05-Oct-08 10:27:35

I'm booked for an ECV on Tues but as i have suspected Pre-eclampsia as well, I suspect the it's going to end in a CS.

HeadFairy Mon 06-Oct-08 17:45:11

sorry to hear that ajm... cs isn't the worse thing in the world though. I can attest to that. I had a planned cs and was out of hosp 3 days later, and walking totally fine after a week. No pain no infections, nothing. But I hope it doesn't come to that....

ajm200 Tue 07-Oct-08 18:26:38

Good news ECV worked eventually. Baby was well and truly stuck at first. BP was v. high when I arrived but back to almost normal after baby turned..

ajm200 Tue 07-Oct-08 18:27:03

Thanks again for all the advise ladies. smile

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 18:28:38

very glad to hear it ajm !

HeadFairy Tue 07-Oct-08 20:37:16

Great news

expatinscotland Tue 07-Oct-08 20:38:55

congrats!

DS has flipped himself at 36+5. he is transverse breech - so would probably come out frank breech.

i might have to try this!

ajm200 Tue 07-Oct-08 21:27:59

Expatinscotland - Sorry to hear that DS has flipped. As he is transverse breech, he'd have less of a distance to turn so you'd probably have a bit easier time of it.

It is definately worth asking for the ECV and making it clear that you won't be fobbed off with a CS.

They only kept trying to move my baby as I'd been insistant that I wasn't going to have a CS without a least one more attempt.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgwithnumber3 Tue 07-Oct-08 21:58:22

Great! Bet you are more hopeful now. smile

browny Tue 07-Oct-08 22:03:11

ajm, glad the ECV worked for you today smile. My midwife isn't sure if my baby is breach or not and if she still isn't sure next week (when I'll be 36 weeks), she's sending me for a scan.

Can I ask if the ECV was painful at all, did you have to have a muscle relaxant drug injection and how long did it take to turn the baby? Did it make you feel sick too? Sorry for all the questions, but just the idea of my bump being manipulated makes me feel quite ill.

So glad it worked for you and hope he/she stays there now smile.

ajm200 Wed 08-Oct-08 13:24:01

Browny It was definately uncomfortable, but bearable.

The first part was ok getting baby from upside down to lying across my tummy, then she got stuck and they really had to grip her and force her round. That did hurt but most of the discomfort was caused by the consultants nails that could have been shorter.. I was able to breath through the pain and didn't need pain relief. They took 45 mins but that was because I'd agreed before hand that they should keep trying as long as muscle relaxant was effective. In most cases it isn't necessary to press so hard or for so long.

They told me the average takes about 10 minutes and doesn't require quite so much force. You can always ask for gas and air if you need it. The muscle relaxant was fine.

I hope your baby is really right way up or if not that it flips quickly and easily

browny Wed 08-Oct-08 14:08:09

ajm thank you for telling me all about it, 45 minutes trying to turn your baby was a very long time, you must be a very calm person (and patient too) not to mention quite brave! I hope you're not too sore today and everything goes well for the birth smile.

Ailebe Mon 20-Jul-09 16:15:34

Congrats, that's some really good news. Didn't even know that it's possible to turn a baby that way. I had to take the muscle relaxant Generic Carisoprodol somer time ago and know that medication like this doesn't help too much. But it seems to have been quite effective for you, that's something really extraordinary as far as I can tell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now