Talk

Advanced search

Measuring your bump

(12 Posts)
artichokes Fri 03-Oct-08 17:21:29

Does anyone remember how you do this. Do you measure from the pelvic bone to the very top of the bump?

I think that is what the doctor does when she measures me but I can't quite remember where she measures up to.

And is it expected that the number of centimetres should correspond with the number of weeks along you are?

artichokes Fri 03-Oct-08 17:39:32

bump (if you will excuse the pun)

FruitynNutty Fri 03-Oct-08 19:40:04

Well I was measured yesterday. The trainee midwife said I was 11 cms. Bare in mind I'm 16 weeks tomorrow and my belly is huge so I'm sure she got it wrong. I think it can be quite hard to find the top of the uterus.

artichokes Fri 03-Oct-08 20:01:39

Thanks.

I'm a bit worried as my bump has doubled in size in two weeks and I have put on 9lbs in the same period shock. Everyone keeps going on about how I look full term but I am just 30 weeks.

Two weeks ago the GP measured me and I was bang on 28cm, today I tried to measure myself and I am 40cm!!! I am pretty sure the top of my uterus is now just under my rib cage.

I'm just worried about the rate of growth.

tinkfindsoutattenboyorgirl Sat 04-Oct-08 08:29:44

when they measured my bump @ hospital they felt for the head and started measuring there up to bottom of bump.
i have tried to do it myself never works out

HeathersMummy Sat 04-Oct-08 11:15:42

artichokes I wouldn't worry about it - I've been in exactly the same situation over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Visited the midwife at 25 weeks and she measured me at 32 shock, went back 2 weeks later at 27 weeks and I now measure 28! She said I might have had a growth spurt - remember all babies cannot possibly grow at the same rate as 1cm of bump per week grin.

MrsBick Sat 04-Oct-08 11:21:00

my MW said that this only worked after 24 weeks and could be 2-3 cms out.
if that helps.

Ambi Sat 04-Oct-08 11:23:15

I wasn't measured at all by my midwives, just assumed they didn't do here in my pct.

artichokes Sat 04-Oct-08 21:28:08

Thanks everyone.
I have an appt on monday so I guess they can check the size then.
I just feel soooooo big. DD was 9lbs 4oz at 38 weeks and I did not feel this big with her...

No1GruffaloHunter Sat 04-Oct-08 21:30:42

My MW is very skeptical about measurements. As she says how can a 5ft and a 6ft woman measure the same...have to say quite a logical approach and I don't worry about formnal measurements.

Oh and at my last appointment 2 MWs measured me and they differed by 4cm!!!

artichokes Sat 04-Oct-08 21:34:09

Its a good point Gruffalo
But I am nearly 6 foot and surely tall women should measure smaller as we have longer bodies in which to accomodate the baby before we have to stretch outwards!

xhorseymadx Sun 12-Oct-08 12:00:52

Well My Midwife Hasnt Ever Measured Me And I have Gt Absolutely Massive Im Only 27 Weeks And Evberyone Is Saying That Im massive So Goodness know But I Would Like To Know How To Measure so I Can Actually See how Much More I will Be Puuting On Honestly I get Bigger Every Day That cant Be A Gd Sign?!?! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now