Talk

Advanced search

Do you know one of the things I really dislike about being pregnant...........

(21 Posts)
McDreamy Thu 02-Oct-08 16:52:14

........the assumption that if there is a social event I will drive!! angry

Not just DH but friends too!!!! One example - We are going out next week for a works dinner and I am getting text messages saying "can we have a lift there and back with you", didn't know I was fecking driving!! angry

I know I can't drink but it's not all about the alcohol. I am so bloody shattered by the end of an evening it would be so nice to either be driven or get a cab home sad

Sorry just needed to rant...thanks for getting this far smile

mrsmortenharket Thu 02-Oct-08 16:53:16

that's ok sweetheart, perhaps you could turn round and say that 'oh, i thought you would be driving this time' im an innocent mn voice grin

lecohen Thu 02-Oct-08 16:53:30

Hiya,

Totally understand how you feel...some people x

McDreamy Thu 02-Oct-08 18:32:22

Thanks....I feel better now smile

Minniethemoocher Thu 02-Oct-08 20:44:24

Yes, everyone assumes that I will be driving, and it gets on my (.)(.) I am so tired in the evening, that I would love someone to drive me, rather than be an unpaid taxi service... angry

fymandbean Thu 02-Oct-08 20:46:28

I always end up leaving events early when PG as I'm tired so if I do so do any hangers on!!!

babyinbelly Thu 02-Oct-08 22:38:02

I agree! Have to do this every friday night! I worry that I am going to fall asleep at the wheel sometimes. Would be nice for someone else to take over.

McDreamy Fri 03-Oct-08 06:12:09

I have found myself becoming increasingly angry over the last few weeks, esp when the subject of driving isn't even brought up because it's automatically assumed I will drive! (DH's parents are very fond of this sad) Thought I was being selfish, it's reassuring to hear you feel the same.

Think I will try fymandbean's approach though and leave early a few times smile DH offered to drive to the night out next week but he then followed it up with - but it will be a crap night if I can't have a drink - welcome to my world! Sitting around watching everyone get pissed AND THEN being the free taxi home isn't my idea of a great night out either!!!!

Right I've gone off on one again so I will stop wink

Minniethemoocher Fri 03-Oct-08 08:12:31

As you get nearer to you due date, you will find that the "invites" dry up, I think that people become frightened that their "taxi driver" may go into labour and leave them stranded!! grin

mrsmortenharket Fri 03-Oct-08 11:09:45

<<norty thought>> if you don't mind a personal question ...

how fa rgone are you? perhaps you could pretend to have "twinges" ...

grin

ButIForgetMyself Fri 03-Oct-08 11:47:31

My DP plays in a band and I have become the designated driver every time it's "his" turn to drive home. I wouldn't mind too much in theory, but sometimes we don't end up leaving until 1am and I'm pretty shattered by then (just about to hit third trimester).

On Sunday though, we went for dinner with friends. I was already shattered from the late drive after the gig on Sat, and we had a cliff top walk before dinner, didn't leave there until 10pm, down dark winding country lanes - got back home just before 11pm, had to be up at 5.50am for work. It was bloody dreadful, couldn't see where I was going, was too tired to concentrate properly. DP hadn't drunk a lot, but he'd lost his specs and couldn't see properly.

I think I'm going to have to start being a little more selfish now. It's not all about being the sober one, it's all being safe enough to drive when I'm this tired, and I don't feel on Sunday that I was.

You are very welcome to use my excuse.

McDreamy Fri 03-Oct-08 11:49:42

I agree BIFM, you are right it's not all about being the sober one (although it is tedious at times). I have often driven back wondering how much safer than a driver under the influence is.

ButIForgetMyself Fri 03-Oct-08 11:56:16

Plus while I've been pregnant I have completely lost all my driving/parking ability anyway, so why anyone would want to be in a car driven by me is totally beyond my comprehension!

There's an idea - just drive really really crap a couple of times - you know, mount the kerb, get a bit of road rage, drive on the wrong side of the road, take seventeen attempts to park etc etc and then blame it all on hormones - you'll soon find plenty of people willing to take the job from you.

elkiedee Fri 03-Oct-08 12:12:29

I think you should respond that you're feeling really tired, and that you were wondering if they were driving and could give you a lift!

SummerLightning Fri 03-Oct-08 12:52:15

It doesn't bother me, but then I don't tend to be driving far, only about 1/4 of an hour. Also we leave when I like!

However I did drive 2hrs back from a wedding, leaving at 11 and getting in at 1, that was hard work, but the worst bit was DH was pissed but kept trying to back seat drive still.....grrrrr angry, had to tell him to shut up! And drunk people in the car chattering away in a loud voice while you are trying to concentrate, or when you need directions...that is annoying!

Minniethemoocher Fri 03-Oct-08 14:33:58

Mrsmortenharket - I am 35 weeks, so I could well have twinges, pretend or otherwise!!!

mrsmortenharket Fri 03-Oct-08 14:38:15

lol cos i've had to name change, i didn't realise you were talking to me grin

Minniethemoocher Fri 03-Oct-08 14:45:09

Hi MrsMH -I have never worked out how to name change, if it is too controversial, I just don't post!! grin How do you do it?

mrsmortenharket Fri 03-Oct-08 15:01:53

have had to as ex knows i am on mn, i wouldn't be able to chat freely otherwise.
as for how to name change:
#go to blue banner at the tope of the page and click on it.

#you will need to enter your registered email addy and mn pasword

#go to private profile and then click on registration details

#scroll down the page unti lyou get to chat nickname, highlight your current mn name and change it

et voila!!!

Minniethemoocher Fri 03-Oct-08 17:46:30

Oh thank you MrsMH! I like the idea of going incognito sometimes! smile

brettgirl2 Sat 04-Oct-08 09:39:04

That's just rude. Tell them straight that you are too tired and don't want to drive, it's really bad to expect this just because you are pg. I wouldn't do it (am very lucky that my OH doesn't drink very much anyway so it isn't an issue with us anyway)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now