Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can anyone re-assure me please?-antibiotics in pregnancy

(9 Posts)
happyathome Thu 02-Oct-08 13:14:07

I've been prescribed Erythromycin for a chest infection and am paranoid about taking it,despite doctor saying it is safe.(had allergic reaction to other antibiotics in past).I'm nearly at end of second trimester.
Just didn't want to take anything at all in pregnancysad,but caked up chest been going on for 3-4 weeks now.
Anyone with any experience of it and did you have side effects/was baby ok e.t.c.?
thankyou

BabyBaby123 Thu 02-Oct-08 13:19:49

i'm sure it's fine if the doctor says so. I took antibiotics very early on with my ds - in the first trimester and he was fine. Don't worry, better to take them than let your symptoms get worse.

(at your stage of pg I really wouldn't worry too much - baby fully formed etc as you know)

Charlee Thu 02-Oct-08 13:24:39

I took alot of antibiotics in pregnancy as my kidney failed and it got infected and ds is 2 now with no problems.

I hope that reassured you a bit.

happyathome Thu 02-Oct-08 13:49:36

thanks a lot BabyBaby and Charlee.
i feel a bit better about it nowsmile

superjump Fri 03-Oct-08 17:49:42

I took antibiotics in my first trimester with my first pregnancy, for a persistent cough. Doc said it was better to have the meds than to keep wracking my body with the hacking cough. I have a very healthy 3 year old now x

Chaotica Fri 03-Oct-08 18:27:56

I took erythromicin (a lot) when I was pg with DS and DD. Prescribed by my obstetrician on some occasions. I was fine and so were LOs.

changer22 Fri 03-Oct-08 18:33:23

Another one here to add to your poll. I know I took it with at least 2 of mine (one of them several times) if not all 3.

They're all fine.

TheGabster Fri 03-Oct-08 20:17:23

I took some too towards end of middle trimester. Doctor said this trimester is safest, its the beginning and the end ones which can be dodgy for baby. Plus at this stage, you really need to make sure you stay as fit as possible whilst you get yourself ready for the final furlong so its more important to get rid of the infection!

Good luck grin

brettgirl2 Sat 04-Oct-08 09:34:50

No-one wants to take prescription medicines when they are pregnant (or at any time really). However, life is not that simple. Stop feeling guilty for having a nasty chest infection and get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now