Talk

Advanced search

so who waited longer than 12 weeks to tell folks they were pregnant?

(24 Posts)
nappyaddict Thu 02-Oct-08 00:24:39

and i mean without telling a single soul - not even best friends or close family.

SuperBunny Thu 02-Oct-08 00:26:22

Are you pg?

mumhadenough Thu 02-Oct-08 00:27:16

Not me, can't hold my water! Told everyone as soon as I found out smile

nappyaddict Thu 02-Oct-08 00:29:32

no SB.

mindy27 Thu 02-Oct-08 00:31:15

i was 6 weeks, we had only be tryin 4 3 months,but id previousy had n ectopic pg, wanted to wait to make sure al was ok but couldnt wait, as son as i done test i phoned every1!!!!!1

MamaMimi Thu 02-Oct-08 00:31:17

My close family knew, but that was all until I was gone 20 weeks when I decided I ought to tell the people I worked for - in 2 different work places! After that I started telling friends etc.

MKG Thu 02-Oct-08 01:08:11

My work knew right away, but my mom just found out on Monday and I'm 17 weeks.

hellish Thu 02-Oct-08 02:21:50

me, only me and dh knew

mangolassi Thu 02-Oct-08 05:49:22

I didn't tell anyone... because I didn't know, till 13.5 weeks. Then thought I was in "very early pregnancy" (said dr). Went back for dating scan 4 weeks later - then told people.

Dd was 3 weeks early, too, so I managed to skip half the pregnancy in the end

missmama Thu 02-Oct-08 06:25:30

I told Mum and Dad and Best friend at 9 wks never told another soul until after 20 wk scan including my own children (8 and 10) and am now 28wks have have not told everybody yet.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 02-Oct-08 07:11:30

i dont have that option. my mum knew both times before i did. she can just tell. she also reads tarots and is scarily accurate. for about a year she kept telling me i would get pregnant to my ex and we would break up. but did i listen? no i just kept guffawing at her.

damn my pyschic family. it would be nice to be able to tell them something for a change rather than them telling me.

Blackduck Thu 02-Oct-08 07:17:33

Me- didn't tell a soul (well except dp of course) until about 4/5 months.

FlirtyThirty Thu 02-Oct-08 09:19:44

I'm 10+5 and only DH and I know so far. Was waiting to tell people after 12 wk scan but am actually going to tell mum and dad at weekend when i'll be 11+1 - we have a big function to go to together and I'm so unwell just now that I'd rather tell them than have them worry or guess. But...they will be sworn to secrecy until post-scan when we start to tell the world...

imaginewittynamehere Thu 02-Oct-08 09:23:48

Me

DP was the only one who knew until I was 15 weeks with DD & this time I told my family at 13 weeks. I told work at 18 weeks.

TBH I hate the fussing that goes on in pregnancy & would leave it as late as possible the only reason I tell anyone (but DP of course) earlier than 20 weeks is that I think they would be hurt that I kept it from them.

Novacane Thu 02-Oct-08 09:31:10

I didnt tell my Mum until I was 16 weeks as I thought she would be dissapointed in me! (I was 23 fgs lol). She wasn't though.

shoedweller Thu 02-Oct-08 09:56:22

I had to tell work straight away to avoid certain chemicals. Ended up in stupid situation with people I hardly knew knowing and close friends who I would have turned to if I had miscarried not knowing. hmm
So with last 2 have told everyone straight away.
Oh except accidentally forgetting a few choice friends who found out when dc arrived - whoops.

Seabright Thu 02-Oct-08 10:29:05

Told family at 12 weeks. Told work much later.

DP still hasn't told most of his friends because "it hasn't come up in the conversation" WFT?! Well it won't just "come up" on it's own will it! Needless to say I very rarely see them (I am the size of a house, which would be a giveaway)

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Thu 02-Oct-08 10:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

leaky Thu 02-Oct-08 10:51:26

Oh my goodness,you lot are so good,or crazy!
being pregnant is such a wonderful privilege I can't understand people waiting even longer after the 12 week scan.I just found out this morning & I'm 5wks.Have obviously told DH & 2 friends & probably tell a couple more.Will tell more close friends & family when I seem them at 8wks.They all know we were trying & I'm so excited grin

sadminster Thu 02-Oct-08 11:11:12

I waited until after the 20 week scan to tell most people with my son - I didn't tell my daughter until we'd reached pretty certain viability at 28 weeks.

My view of the world is slightly less optimistic after having a few (7) babies die. You find people's support wears thin too, after the third or so miscarriage, much easier just to spare everyone the hassle of getting excited (not than anyone really dose anymore) then being disappointed.

PinkTulips Thu 02-Oct-08 11:15:15

with dd i didn't know many people where we lived, we told dp's parents at 14 weeks, mine at 16 weeks and the few friends we had at about 14/15 weeks.

with ds we told dp's family when we found out at 10 weeks but i didn't tell my parents til 22 weeks blush still living in horrible city where we knew very few people, think we told anyone other than parents at about 12 weeks though.

with dc3 we told dp's parents at 5 weks the day i did the test, told close friends from about 8/9 weeks onwards and i told my parents at 18 weeks (can you tell i can't be bothered with them really!). most people found out last week though as bump was looking expecially prominent at toddler group... that was 21 weeks!

i i find pregnancy long enough without the world and his mother watching and waiting with you, shortens it if less people know.

zazen Thu 02-Oct-08 11:21:10

I told my sister at 14 weeks and my mum at 18 weeks.
Dh told all our friends at a party at 12 weeks - I was very annoyed - I just never thought he'd say anything, and so I didn't say anything to him about not telling - I felt as pinktulips said - it's long enough without everyone always asking you how you are, watching and waiting etc.. none of my friends have kids (except two) so they were all full of BS old wives tales as well... sigh... I was freak show number one for a loooong time..

Theochris Thu 02-Oct-08 11:24:45

Well, I'm going to start telling people tonight or tomorrow. I have just had my scan (today) at nearly 21 weeks. I'm with sadminster, if you have had sad stuff happen it makes you want to hold back a bit. Now it may not all go swimmingly but things are looking good, as all the major organs were present, I can start telling folks. Our families tonight and then work tomorrow which is just as well as I'm starting to show a bit.
With our daughter we told family at about the same time but held off from some of our friends until a bit later. I totally agree that being pregnant is a wonderful privilege but sometimes you don't want everyones opinion/thoughts if things don't work out.

TheRedQueen Thu 02-Oct-08 11:39:14

Me.

We didn't tell anyone until about week 20 after the results of the amniocentesis were back.

Neither of us have any parents any longer however and we live in a foreign country so that made it much easier. Plus the fact that I didn't really begin to show at all until about 22 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now