Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Oh my Lord, the thirst!

(16 Posts)
cfc Wed 01-Oct-08 15:56:53

Hello, it's my first post here, though I am no stranger to internet forums. I think this is such a useful site, esp for the employment side of things.

Anyway, I am pregnant with our first child and just 9 weeks....I cannot quench my thirst! It's driving me mad!

Has anyone else had this? Did you just drink and drink and drink? I need a full night sleep....sad

Any tips, oh wise ones?

Neeerly3 Wed 01-Oct-08 15:58:00

yes keep drinking, but also talk to your MW as it could be a sign of something like gestational Diabetes.

karma Wed 01-Oct-08 16:03:44

Hi cfc, yes I have been very thirsty in 2 of my 3 pregnancies, just kept drinking pints of water. No diabetes detected for me but certainly check with your midwife.

louii Wed 01-Oct-08 16:07:30

I was the same an unbelievable thirst, never knew anything like it, did not have gestational diabetes either.

cfc Wed 01-Oct-08 16:09:53

Cheers for the replies ladies. Shall mention it on Friday at my booking in appointment.

Just made my way through another bottle! I will have to stop on the drive home from work!! blush

dan39 Wed 01-Oct-08 16:11:24

Me too, 22 weeks now, found that really cold water kept nausea at bay. Do get urine checked tho for diabetes - its ahrd to avoid having it checked as when you are pg it seems that you take the p** with you everywhere you go!!! I drink 2 - 3 + litres a day, think I might have a fish in there.

cfc Wed 01-Oct-08 16:16:43

dan39 Wed 01-Oct-08 16:31:23

I have a really annoying trip home from work - 10 min walk to car park, then drive for up to 40 mins. I have a tactical wee as I leave office then walk fairly sedately to car - found rushing made it worse. I swear I have seriously considered stopping at a house/pub on the way. I am also telling myself leather car seats would be very forgiving were I to have an accident....smile

cfc Wed 01-Oct-08 16:38:47

I may have to invest in covers!

Nah, I've not been that bad just yet, I stop drinking from about now. My journey home is much the same as yours, actually dan.

I am gagging for a drink by the time I get in though, and my throat feels like it's about to close over it's that thirsty!

I will mention it to MW, see what she says.

Will she be able to hear a heartbeat when we see her on Friday? I'll be 9+2.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 01-Oct-08 17:00:02

No, far too early for her to even try listening for heartbeat.

CookieMonster2 Wed 01-Oct-08 17:29:29

My midwife found a heart beat at 9 weeks, but I think I was lucky.

cfc Wed 01-Oct-08 18:43:49

Ooo, exciting. Shall have to wait and see!

ButIForgetMyself Wed 01-Oct-08 19:12:50

I was terribly thirsty as well, it was ridiculous. I'd take a pint of water to bed with me but also had three bottles beside the bed as back-up!

Got better for a while but now is back at 27 weeks.

pgwithnumber3 Wed 01-Oct-08 19:15:25

I had an addiction to water whilst pregnant with my first two. It became a nightmare and when in labour with DD1, they had to drain 2 litres of water from my bladder as DD1 couldn't pass through the birth canal because my bladder was that full!

This time around, strangely I haven't had the same craving.

redrobin Wed 01-Oct-08 19:22:27

i drink like a fish too - have found fizzy water slakes the thirst best...maybe you can try that?

broodymom Wed 01-Oct-08 20:18:39

i had this all weekend i was walking around morrisons shopping i drank a litre of water,then another in the car on the way home! i thought something was wrong with me !lol feeling ok now though .I'm 11+4 weeks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: