Talk

Advanced search

when to move to maternity clothes? and a weight question- thanks

(24 Posts)
babyalfie Tue 30-Sep-08 09:10:38

Hi there I am 17 weeks pregnant and still can wear my normal clothes fine although this morning my jeans are a tiny bit tight around the waist lol. I went looking for maternity clothes last week but felt so tired i sinply culd not be bothered and besides would you wait until tou actually need them or buy them now. My linen trousers ares till fine as are tops etc..

Another question is about weight.. I am overweight already and since the day I got pregnant I have not put any weight on at all.. this is most strange with me but I am still being partly sick and just cannot eat as much as I normally would. I cannot drink coffee either and drinking lots more water. Would you be worried at 17 weeks not gaining any weight or not. I spoke to the midwife and she did not seem to worry.

I had an amnio the other day and they rang me to say baby is clear and the scanner person said everything looked fine and baby is to dates etc... if you did not put much weight on at first did you gain alot later in the last 24 weeks etc...

Thanks and any advice would be great

mabel1973 Tue 30-Sep-08 09:19:59

personally i wouldn't buy maternity clothes til you really need them, most of them are so horrible! It is worth getting a decent pair of jeans, other than that if your tops are still ok, carry on wearing them. This time round I have just bought normal tops a size bigger, and worn lots of non maternity smock type tops / dresses.

As for the weight, I got weighed by my midwife when I was about 12 weeks pg and I weighed less than I had in about 4 years. I think tha's normal, don't worry about putting on weight, there's plenty of time for that grin

ditheringdora Tue 30-Sep-08 09:22:21

I have a similar story was still wearing regular clothes up to 20 weeks (top button of trousers undone, longish tops to hide). Didn't put on that much weight despite being slimish. But put on four stone over the pg and looked like a barrel by 24 weeks.
Don't worry, soon you will be huge and moaning about how slim you were previously. good luck. smile

Rosa Tue 30-Sep-08 09:26:21

I lost weight in 1st 4 months then put on in next 2 and then slowly put on a bit in final months ( have 6 weeks to go). I would say pick mat clothes with care you can spend lots on total kak. I finally found a pair of over the bump jeans with lycra from M+S online that are great and will do me to the end. Others I bought had a pathetic insert but dragged under the bump and fell down when expanded them and both my dd hated anything that dug in under the bump.
Tops bought soft materials , a size bigger , and then bought 1 smart top for if went out. With pg 1 was working so had to buy few more bits- Just buy what you need !!!

MrsMattie Tue 30-Sep-08 09:29:57

I wouldn't buy maternity clothes until you absolutely have to. And when you do need them, shop for them in small chunks over the course of a week or two. Long shopping trips are nightmarish when you're pregnant.

In this pregnancy I have only put on a stone so far (32 weeks), and most of that has been in the last 6 weeks. People gain different amounts of weight over different periods (I had gained 3 stone by this time in my last p[regnancy!), but by far the most common time to gain the most weight is in the last 8 weeks-ish. If your MW isn't worried, you don't need to be smile

snorris Tue 30-Sep-08 09:45:42

I'm 29 weeks and I'm still wearing my usual clothes! I just put one of those extenders on my jeans,although I think some people use a hair band round the button and through the buttonhole. The trousers I wear have got drawstring waists though wink. I don't tend to put much weight on but then I am a "larger" lady to start with blush. I think I've only put on a few kilos so far.

bikerunski Tue 30-Sep-08 10:20:17

I wore my usual tops throughout pg, and begged/bought/borrowed trousers. In the last couple of months I was wearing Primark boob tubes (£1) round my middle to fill in the gap as my tops got shorter and shorter as my bump got bigger.

I was so sick I lost a stone and a half by 16 weeks. I am now back in my pre pg jeans 3 weeks after ds was born. They are not a loose as they were, but yey - I am wearing pre preganancy jeans!

kingrolo Tue 30-Sep-08 10:20:52

Couldn't do up my normal jeans after 24 weeks so invested in over the bump maternity jeans (H&M - 30 quid). I'd definitely recommend these as they stretch as you get bigger and don't cut into the bump or fall down. They are still very comfortable now with my massive 37 weeks tummy.

It's also worth getting some cheap maternity vests or T shirts as they'll be long enough to cover the bump and you can wear them under your normal shirts, cardigans and jackets.

Have any of your friends been pregnant recently? Be cheeky and ask if you can borrow anything, esp. more expensive items like dresses and coats.

Best advice regarding weight is don't weigh yourself - ever! Midwives have stopped routinely weighing women because it doesn't tell them anything useful about the size or weight of the baby.

Good luck with your pregnancy smile

bythepowerofgreyskull Tue 30-Sep-08 10:24:26

maternity wear - do what feels comfy for you

Weight - well I don't think you should worry as long as your baby is fine.
I was 13 stone when I fell pregnant and the day I gave birth I was 10st4lb. Baby2 was 7lb1oz totally healthy. I wasn't dieting baby2 was just using my excess to grow.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Sep-08 10:30:11

I didn't put any weight on with this pg until 17/18 weeks- though I had to wear maternity clothes, as my bump was enormous by then!
Am now gaining weight and making up for that- babies all grow differently, and take different things from our bodies.
My first pg was slow and steady weight gain.
Glad your aby is healthy- just look after yourself now too! smile

CookieMonster2 Tue 30-Sep-08 11:31:29

My plan for maternity clothes is trousers with an elasticated waist. With my first pg I had a pair of maternity trousers and they were hideous, and I never got big enough for them so I always had an excess of material over my bump at the front. Whilst trousers with an elasticated waist aren't exactly the height of fashion, no one will know if I cover them with a top. The problem with buying clothes a size bigger is that they are too big on your bum and in the legs.

IceCube Tue 30-Sep-08 11:49:21

I think it's normal not to gain much weight or even to loose weight in the first Trimester which is up to 16 weeks, I only gained 1lb.

After that I think unless you are very overweight you should start to gain weight, I have been gaining 1lb per week. But the most important thing is to get all the nutrition you need ie folic acid, calcium, iron, fruit & veg.

As for clothes, just count yourself lucky, I popped out of my normal trousers at 6 weeks and was still hiding my pregnancy from everyone and feeling very bloated!

As someone else has said it's best to just buy one or two things at a time once you have to so you always have something the right size, some of my early maternity clothes are now too small or not long enough.

eejaykay Tue 30-Sep-08 11:51:10

I'm at 19 weeks and I'm the same weight as when I got pregnant - MW seems perfectly happy and I know I'm eating well (plus additional chocolate for morale). Just starting to think about maternity clothes as my work trousers are starting to strain today smile

CookieMonster2 Tue 30-Sep-08 11:52:09

Bythepowerifgreyskull, there must be a secret to this you aren't telling us! Please don't tell me that you lost weight breastfeeding as well or I will be really depressed!
With my first pg I started overweight, unecessarily put on 2 stone. Didn't lose weight breastfeeding, and then had to diet once I had finished breastfeeding. Took me a year to lose it in total. Promised myself I wouldn't put on weight with second pregnancy but it doesn't seem to be something you have much control over!

bythepowerofgreyskull Tue 30-Sep-08 12:02:48

Nah - My metabolism speeds up when cooking babies. Has put almost all of it back on again by the time I had finished breastfeeding smile sad

elkiedee Tue 30-Sep-08 12:04:58

I'm quite overweight and put on 4 lb between 12 and 40 weeks 1st time round (I was suffering from sickness and loss of appetite), until quite late on several people actually thought I'd lost weight. This time round I think I'm bigger/showing more at 23 weeks than I was last time, but then I was heavier early on as well.

I didn't have many maternity clothes last time, just one bagful, many of them passed on from SIL along with some baby clothes, and I've only just begged my mum to look for them and post two skirts down, I'm managing for tops and dislike maternity ones anyway, I don't like stretch fabrics which cling in annoying places.

Don't know what the shop is like at the moment but I ended up with 5 Dorothy Perkins 3/4 length sleeve tops in 3 colours last time - quite long and skim fitting - loose but not baggy and shapeless - I started off with 2 and went back to look for more. They're not maternity though dp does have a maternity section. They're ribbed cotton and dry quickly after washing. I don't know if they'll survive this pregnancy but they're comfier than anything else I have. And DP is on the cheap side as well.

elkiedee Tue 30-Sep-08 12:08:01

If you can't face shopping, I know I can't, you could try looking online and see if there's anything that appeals. They're not so cheap but Jojo Maman Bebe and Blooming Marvellous have discounts through Mumsnet - look up the codes to put in.

EffiePerine Tue 30-Sep-08 12:14:55

If you are overweight, shouldn't you be aiming to put on less weight anyway? Can't remember what the guidelines are, but your mw would tell you if it was a problem.

I started waering maternity clothes at about 20 weeks, but have obvious bump (now 27 weeks). Still in non-maternity tops (larger and stretchy). Have put on about 2 stone so far - a bit more than with DS by this point I think.

FruitynNutty Tue 30-Sep-08 13:41:00

I'm in shock, Ive been wearing maternity since 9 weeks! (15 now) Where is your baby hiding?! haha. Henes do some lovely Maternity trousers, they even stay up!

FruitynNutty Tue 30-Sep-08 13:41:21

Hennes not Henes

reban Tue 30-Sep-08 15:30:53

look on ebay for maternity clothes as always bundles on there and as they are generally worn for such a small amount of time they should be in really good condition.
I dont put on weight in first 18 - 20 weeks then gradually put on about 2 stone, but everyone is different!

Mirry71 Tue 30-Sep-08 16:47:01

oh lord am just 19 weeks, I've put on about half a stone since I got pregnant but about 5lb in the last two weeks it seems, nothing fits and look frumpy in those clothes that do. I feel terribly fat compared to everyone else so far and my trousers suddenly don't fit. Dreading going to see my mum who will faint at how fat I look. I've struggled with my weight and was finally thin before I got pregnant so maybe more of a shock....

FruitynNutty Tue 30-Sep-08 17:31:44

I've put on a stone since falling pregnant shock No wonder I was in maternity clothes early blush

annandcait Wed 01-Oct-08 08:24:00

If you are just feeling the pinch around the waistband and don't want to splash out on maternity wear, belly belts are very useful. Depending on how much weight you gain elsewhere - they can last right through pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now