Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rasberry leaf tea / tablets - use from how many weeks?

(22 Posts)
EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Mon 29-Sep-08 18:47:09

I used them with DS2 and he came on time (DS1 was an induction)

but I can't remember what the rules are grin

Swaliswan Mon 29-Sep-08 19:04:13

My MIL is a midwife and I'm sure she said 36 weeks when I was pg with DD. Apparently they shouldn't make you go into labour early just ripen your cervix nicely and help with dilation during labour. I never got to use mine last time though (DD born at 34+6!).

Swaliswan Mon 29-Sep-08 19:05:06

Oh, and slowly increase the amount that you are having eg one tablet a day for a week, then two for a week then up to a max of three a day for the rest of the pg.

Simplysally Mon 29-Sep-08 19:11:05

It's the end of the third trimester isn't it? Have you tried looking on NHS direct?

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Mon 29-Sep-08 19:32:06

I thought it was 28 weeks.

I took them from around then with DS2 im sure

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Mon 29-Sep-08 19:34:09

googled and the general consensus seems to be 32 weeks now.

I know it was 28/29 when I had DS2, i was very 'by the book' and wouldn't have touched the stuff a day before i was 'allowed'

Shelli08 Mon 29-Sep-08 20:07:43

I have just finished my antenatal classes and i was told that what ever i do, dont take the raspberry leaf tea until 37 weeks onwards because it can induce labour when all i was really going to take it for is because it is supposed to ease the labour, hope this helps

detoxdiva Mon 29-Sep-08 20:12:30

I ttok 2 tablets a day from 36 weeks - dd was born 3 hours after arrival at hospital so I am a firm believer in their ability to make yout uterus more 'efficient' grin

Honeymoonmummy Mon 29-Sep-08 21:50:04

I have had 2 midwives telling me 36 weeks.

ellielou02 Tue 30-Sep-08 10:47:09

I know I will prob be shot down for this but our midwives have advised to stay well clear of these as they give you a really violent and painful labour, they are carrying out an audit just now to try and evaluate this. I took them for my first pregnancy and had a very fast and painful 2nd stage then my contractions stopped, so not tking them this time just in case.

Honeymoonmummy Wed 01-Oct-08 21:41:22

Oh bloody hell, I was due to start taking them tonight angry

I had heard they make the contractions more powerful because of them strengthening the uterus, but this just makes it go faster?

ellielou02 Thu 02-Oct-08 12:05:42

oooh sorry, I used them with dd1 and ended up being induced and am sure I went from 5 to 10ncm in like 30 mins and ended up screaming for an epidural it was like one continuous contraction. Then contractions stopped when it came to pushing Its up to the individual of course. Good luck anyway whatever you decide, when you due honeymoonmummy?? I am 35 weeks just now getting excitied now

essexgirl31 Thu 02-Oct-08 13:48:41

EWEC - I took them from 34 weeks. I also had my DS (my first) in 3 hours It was very intense and painful. Of course I can't 100% put this down to the tablets but it it was quick! Good luck with the decision.

ellielou02 - that's really interesting that your midwives are carrying out an audit. If you ever find out the results it would be great to know them.

And good luck to you all you who haven't got long to go.

kaybee75 Sat 04-Oct-08 12:34:34

I drank Raspberry Leaf Tea from about 34 weeks and also used Clary Sage (drops in the bath and on a tissue that I had with me) and baby came 2 days after due date and had a 4 hour fairly pain-free labour. Impossible to know whether either had any effect but I would definitely use both again - and I loved the taste of the tea (even though my hubby thought I was wierd and said it smelled of sellotape!!)

poisondwarf Sat 04-Oct-08 14:27:26

Also took it from about 34 weeks I think and had an easy labour (just gas & air) at 40+5 - I was told by the mw my contractions were nice & strong. Had DS in 2.5 hours from getting to hospital (although not sure when labour actually started as I was about 8cm dilated when I got there) - 2nd stage was 50 minutes.

Am now 31 wks pg and will be doing it again this time round. Quite liked the taste too...

TamTam29 Sat 04-Oct-08 15:27:22

I took raspberry leaf tea from around 6 weeks before I was due - dunno bout it supposed to bring on labour - I ended up 16 days late. I took it in the belief that it would make the uterus stronger & improve the blood flow, therefore making your contractions more effiecient. Have to say it worked for me - despite having syntocin drip & epidural which can both prolong labour, I managed to push out my Darling Son in under 15 mins!!! (1st stage was about 12 hours)

I think i took a cup a day & then increased to 2 cups after a couple of weeks- once i went past 41 weeks i was drinking tea made with 2 teabags several times a day!!!

nennyrainbow Sat 04-Oct-08 22:01:42

It doesn't induce labour although they usually tell you not to take it before the 3rd trimester to be on the safe side. It is supposed to speed up labour once it has started though. Worked for me - combined 1st and 2nd stage was 4.5 hours with ds and just 90 mins with dd! I just drank the tea once a day, building up to twice a day in the last few weeks.

Flum Sat 04-Oct-08 22:49:49

I drank loads daily in last month of 1st labour and had a precipitate labour - fully dilated in 3 hours with constant contractions - no gaps to get breath back. It was very scary and I was quite hysterical when just as they said you are fully dilated the midwife saw fully formed meconium and deduced that baby might be breech. They did an section straight away.

I don't know if the RLT caused the fast labour but my second labour was nothing liket that I had regular contractions that although painful were dealable with due to a few minutes between each rather than full on and constant.

Slickbird Sat 04-Oct-08 23:00:45

I've been wondering about this for three pregnancies now, but what I'm more interested in is can I have fruit teas like Echineacea and Raspberry or Strawberry and Raspberry etc? I keep avoiding them as I don't know what the rules are! (Am 19wks preg)

figgis1 Sun 05-Oct-08 09:00:27

i dont want to scare anyone but i read recently that rasp leaf tea could be linked to pre eclampsia! i took it wih both my pregnancies, first time def didnt work, was induced and had emerg cs, went into labour and had nomal delivery 2nd time tho so maybe it helped then!

Heartmum2Jamie Sun 05-Oct-08 10:15:46

I took RLT tablets with my other 2 pregnancies and had no problems. I am fortunately enough to contract well with not alot of pain until I get to about 7-8cm. My first labour was 11.5 hours, 8 days late. I had 3 hours of pushing as DS1 was back to back and I'd had an epi and pitocin and more epi, was all a bit of a haze to be honest. My second DS was born 2 days early, in 89 minutes from the time I was examined and found to be 7cm dilated again. I thought I was having braxton hicks!

The way my midwife explained it to me is that they won't make you go into labour as such, but are a uterine tonic designed to help tone your uterus and make it contract more eficiently. How true this is, I honestly don't know, my labours might have been that way regardless. All I know is that I am now 36+4 with ds3 and I plan on starting the tea (they had no tablets) today, it can't hurt as far as I am concerned. I was told to hold off until 36 weeks though.

ThePenguinProject Sun 05-Oct-08 19:56:00

Didn't work for me and I drank gallons of the stuff! (Nice with honey). I went 11 days overdue and had a 4 day labour, was eventually induced, ventoused and eventually an emergency c section....but try it if you like the taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now