Talk

Advanced search

i know that if you are itchy in pregnancy this can be a bad sign ... advice?

(20 Posts)
gem1981 Mon 29-Sep-08 17:31:37

Am I being paranoid?

The past 2 days my bump has itched LOADS - have put this down to stretch marks.

but now I am getting itchy in really odd places like the tips of my toes - under my right eye (this area is really bad)

and my forehead/scalp.
(NOT dandruff) grin

do you think I should call MW?

36 weeks pregnant no other probs other than a cold.

sarah293 Mon 29-Sep-08 17:34:21

Message withdrawn

avenanap Mon 29-Sep-08 17:35:45

I would call your midwife. It may be nothing or may be a sign of a liver/kidney problems so it's worth checking.

I hope it's nothing though.

MaryBS Mon 29-Sep-08 17:37:45

Obstetric Cholestasis. Do you have a rash? I had OC in both mine - didn't get an itchy face, mostly itchy palms and soles of feet, although my legs itched. There isn't a rash with it.

Worth getting it checked out, this close to birth though. They can do blood tests and monitor the situation

avenanap Mon 29-Sep-08 17:38:07

Obstetric cholestasis: other symptoms are jaundice, itching, dark urine and light faeces. I'd check it though.

ajm200 Mon 29-Sep-08 17:38:36

Call your midwife. I know that itchy palms and soles of the feet are a sign they look for.

If they are concerned they may do a blood test

Good luck, hopefully it's just your hormones

gem1981 Mon 29-Sep-08 17:42:46

thanks will give her a ring
I think thinking about it is making it worse though !!!

going to go for a nice cool shower.

sunshine185 Mon 29-Sep-08 17:49:29

i itched everywhere and i mean everywhere every body part possible with ds from 20 something weeks, had bloods, wasn't the liver thing, was told it was just one of those things tried all creams, potions and baths and nothing helped so i sympathise!

it was pure hell... took to taking piriton (from doc) at night just to get relief and some sleep, so can vouch it's safe, ds 28 months now!!!

31 weeks this time round and TOUCH WOOD just the normal itchy bump when dry and stretching!!! hmm

take carex

Chaotica Mon 29-Sep-08 17:56:07

Had the same as sunshine 185 when pg with DS. It is hell. Like sunburn+chicken pox+eczema all over...

Go to GP to check it's not OC, and ask for piriton (but not the non-drowsy stuff - that is no good in pregnancy).

If you have what I had it will go very soon after delivery.

gem1981 Mon 29-Sep-08 20:10:58

ooh Chaotica and sunshine the itching really isn't as bad as yours was that sounds like a nightmare

- the cool shower has helped a bit and i have doused myself in e45 so far things have calmed down a bit.

will mention it to MW when I see her on Wednesday - thanks all

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Mon 29-Sep-08 20:12:56

Your feet itching rang a bell. Ring your MW or go to hospital You need liver function tests.

Don't wait til Wed.

midnightexpress Mon 29-Sep-08 20:16:18

Get checked for OC, but you could also try using oats (tied up in muslin or similar) run under your bath taps. My cousin had this in late pg, wasn't OC but the oats sorted it out.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Mon 29-Sep-08 20:21:53

OC is very serious.

Please phone the hospital.

gem1981 Tue 30-Sep-08 09:15:30

hi all

itching has gone now - going to ring hospital today anyway just to be sure.

thanks for your concern everyone x

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 30-Sep-08 12:41:13

What did the hospital say?

gem1981 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:36:34

hi been told to keep an eye on it but i haven't itched for about 24 hours and i was only really itchy yesterday.

think it was dry skin blush plus once i started to think about it i think i started the 'itch scratch cycle!!' hmm

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 02-Oct-08 08:09:51

Not that I am stalking you or anything but how are you?

gem1981 Thu 02-Oct-08 10:33:01

it's nice to know you care ! grin

feeling back to normal now not itchy at all - just waiting for this little one to arrive (37 weeks at the weekend) getting V fed up with being pregnant.

x

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 02-Oct-08 11:42:33

I really don't want to annoy you but I nearly lost my boy and he had to be delivered before the reults came back for OC so I have never known if I had it, so I tend to be very cautious.

gem1981 Sat 04-Oct-08 11:29:50

hi sorry just saw your message ... no more symptoms just itchy those 2 days.

you didn't annoy me at all grin

OC sounds really scary - glad everything was OK for you
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now