Talk

Advanced search

anyone have experience of going to a rock concert near due date?

(26 Posts)
mogwai Mon 28-Feb-05 14:41:21

You may think I'm crazy but I'm a huge U2 fan and they are touring the UK this summer. I've been a fan for 17 years and have seen their last three tours. There's no way I want to miss the concert in Manchester, but it's on June 14th, and I'm due around June 23rd. I couldn't fly to a European date, as I'll be too pregnant.

We have seated tickets on the third level (how the hell will I get up there without a winch?!) but I'm wondering how realistic I'm being. TO miss the concert would be really upsetting for me (especially as hubbie would have to go without me and return all sweaty and hoarse and happy!). This is my first baby and I've no idea what the discomforts of the final weeks will really be like.

Also, I've heard that the baby may move around quite a lot in response to the loud music. Will this be uncomfortable?

Gwenick Mon 28-Feb-05 14:49:11

I went to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo when I was just over 8 month pg with my first - yes DS1 moved around a lot - but no different to his usually energetic wrigglings. We were right near the top of the stands - so had a long way to walk. I just made sure I had my antenatal notes with me 'incase' I went into labour and had a fabulous time.

milliways Mon 28-Feb-05 15:50:32

My bump went bananas at a concert at 8 months - so much so my ribs ached the next day! It was quite funny, obviously got woken up with a start as gave a huge jump/kick and then wiggles for the rest of the show. Was worth it though, and back to usual mivements the next day. Enjoy yourself.

scampadoodle Mon 28-Feb-05 16:28:58

I was 38 wks pg with ds2 when I went to see Morrisey play his homecoming gig in Manchester last June. I was a massive Smiths fan in the 80s & we were invited by the record company (so great seats - not in the mosh pit!). I was a bit apprehensive being so far from home (I live in London) but we were staying in a lovely hotel in central Manchester so were near hospitals. When we arrived the doorman immediately said "Just in case...the maternity unit is that way!". Everyone was so lovely to me & although I was worried about the noise level, there was no need as the baby didn't move around as much as I thought he would. I sat down or perched as much as possible though, and drank lots of water. HTH. Have fun!

lwb Tue 01-Mar-05 13:50:25

OH and I are going to a "don't laugh" neil diamond concert at woburn 4 days before due date. We got the best seats we could afford. Just hope it doesn't come early.

nikkim Tue 01-Mar-05 14:16:20

I went to see fun luvin criminlas when quite heavily pregnant, and was right at the front, as no one dared get in the way of a big bump.

It did worry me, I though dd was going to be born deaf, spent the following week at the doctors being very neurotic! But she came out fine and has excellent tast in music, currently into Scissor Sisters, Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand!

mogwai Tue 01-Mar-05 21:00:22

thanks ladies

I do wonder about the baby's hearing being damaged....U2 are pretty heavy on the bass, but at least it's an outdoor gig!

nappybaglady Tue 01-Mar-05 21:05:28

Tom Jones at 34 weeks

Didn't throw my maternity knickers at him

SeaShells Tue 01-Mar-05 21:09:11

I went to see Justin Timberlake when I was very pg, not exactly a 'rock concert' but it was quite manic... I had tickets on the front row, with all the screaming girlies

mogwai Tue 01-Mar-05 22:33:11

haha....I don't know about throwing my maternity knickers to Bono...they'd have a long way to travel, but then again, they are so large they could pick up some momentum!!!!

I CERTAINLY wouldn't throw my knickers at Mr Jones, however (bet he was fab though!)

slug Wed 02-Mar-05 12:15:17

I saw Primal Scream at 8 months pg. The doormen cleared a path for me to sail through, dh in tow. I danced like a maniac and was very sore the next day. Strangely the sluglet quite likes Primal Scream.

I also went to see Diamanda Gallas at the Royal Fesitval Hall (so seats) two weeks before she was born. My ribs were definitly briused after that one.

nappybaglady Wed 02-Mar-05 12:26:29

Tom Jones was fab

Went with my mum who had also seen him about 38 years previously

Sponge Wed 02-Mar-05 12:40:19

I saw the Pixies at Brixton Academy when about 7 months. V loud and a standing gig. I don't think there's any danger if damaging their hearing as they're well cushioned in fluid and flab. My ds slept through it all but he was always a laid back baby.

starlover Wed 02-Mar-05 16:12:33

I saw the Manic Street Preachers at 8 months pg...
baby went a bit mad... very kicky, and didn't seem to enjoy the gig as much as I did!
He got over it pretty quick though, and there has been no lasting probs!!!

JiminyCricket Sat 05-Mar-05 20:36:53

Didn't three people go into labour at Robbie's Knebworth gig (the one where all the traffic was gridlocked for a 20 mile radius - eek)?

Ollie2005 Sat 19-Mar-05 22:55:29

How I sympathise!!!!! I've got tickets to see U2 @ Hampden on the 21st June and I'm due on the 26th, this is the first time I have been able to get tickets and these are for standing!!! I'm praying for a miracle that I will be able to go but will have to wait and see if i can still walk by that time! If you do make it let me know how you get on. Good Luck

Gomez Sat 19-Mar-05 23:40:07

Paul Weller at 39 weeks - in fact DD1 was delivered the next day by elective section! We did have seats but I was too fat to fit in mine Enjoy!

moschops Mon 21-Mar-05 11:32:06

we've decided not to go to glastonbury this year (after a reasoned discussion) but as dp is a drummer my little one will definitely be exposed to loud music. we have lined up a few gigs to go to over the summer so i shall have to see how bump reacts!!

ThomCat Tue 22-Mar-05 23:31:28

I went to Notting Hill Carnival when I was 6 months pregnant and had a fab time, as did the bump! Everyone was lovely and made room and people made sure that as I was walking through crowds etc that people ahead were aware that a pregnant belly was coming through, it was great. I danced my socks off.

Then when we were in Bordeaux, again 6 months pregnant, we went to a club and I danced for a couple of hours.

If it's a seated concert I see no reason why not. With regard to discomforts etc, all I can say is that personally I worked rught up to a week before my due date and apart from difficulty getting up from sofa and being a bit more tired than normal life was pretty much normal.

I vote that you go to the concert, after all you dodn't have to stay until the end if you don't want to and it is seated.

alicemama Wed 23-Mar-05 14:25:25

I saw Alicia Keys when I was 8 1/2 months pg. I was in the seated area but we didn't sit down once. DD jumped and kicked around all night but it was great and as soon as we left she went to sleep so that I could recover from being on my feet for 2hrs.
If its what you want then go for it. You'll love it and baby probably wil too.

Cadbury Wed 23-Mar-05 14:30:55

I went to the Notting Hill Carnival at 7 and a half months pg. Not to be advised! The music wasn't too much of a problem although dd was wriggling about a lot. The main problem was being jostled about and I ended up having a panic attack in the middle of a crowd and then getting crippling braxton hicks walking back to the nearest tube station (miles away).

Actually, I'm really jealous you are going to see U" - it's a dream of mine. If I send you a pair, will you throw my knickers at Bono

lunavix Wed 23-Mar-05 20:16:07

As you are sitting I'd think you'd be fine

milge Wed 23-Mar-05 20:18:35

I saw someone go into labour at the Robbie concert in Knebworth a couple of years ago... if its a seated concert, why not?

mogwai Sat 26-Mar-05 17:43:37

Oh poor Cadbury!

Well I have spare seated tickets for manchester June 14th if you'd like to buy them. I'm planning to get a tee-shirt made with "Achtung Baby" on it. Wish Bono would get me up belly dancing. A girl can dream....

triceratops Fri 01-Apr-05 17:06:54

Try and get seats near the loo is all I can say. I needed to go at least every hour when I was 8 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now