Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

please tell me how to get rid of my acid reflux??

(15 Posts)
mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 19:31:04

I keep getting a burning horrible thing in the back of my throat, my 'tubes' and stomach feel fine so dont think it is heartbearn and was told on here before it is acid reflux. Only get it while eating although today i have it 2 hours after eating! Gaviscon does nothing at all. Please help! Am in pain! what can take??

expatinscotland Fri 26-Sep-08 19:32:07

go back to your GP and tell her the Gaviscon isn't working.

you can take ranitidine.

Ewe Fri 26-Sep-08 19:33:17

Go to GP, get some proper reflux medicine and check you don't have a stomach ulcer (common cause of reflux). Keep a food diary to see what makes it bad and then cut it out, go easy on booze!

mad4mybaby Fri 26-Sep-08 19:36:28

oooh dont say that about stomach ulcer!!! I had one about 4 years ago and was v poorly!!

Ewe Fri 26-Sep-08 20:02:04

Well if you've had one before then you're more likely to have one again so I would get yourself checked out. It can be easily treated with Omepreazole, Ranitidine etc.

Hope all is ok

belgo Fri 26-Sep-08 20:04:02

My midwife told me to eat raw potatoe hmm sounds tasty.

But if you've had a stomach ulcer before you should go to the GP.

lilymolly Fri 26-Sep-08 20:05:13

ranitidine 150 mg once a day
works wonders x

moocowme Sun 28-Sep-08 21:20:32

stop all caffeine, coffee, coke and chocolate. have a piece of licorice a day. eat small meals.

mad4mybaby Mon 29-Sep-08 16:09:26

i mostly do that as don thave room for big meals. The wierd thing is i only seem to get it in the evening. Last night i had chinese (mmm) and i was fine... but when i DO get it its awful and just wont go away till the morning

dan39 Mon 29-Sep-08 17:04:03

Ooh nooo I am sorry I read it now - sounds like I have it too, can't attach it to any particular food but I am SURE chocolate is okay....this bump has taken my wine off me, it can't want to ban the chocolate too.....shock Mine goes with a rennie dissolving at the back of my mouth - the chalky one not the chewy ones.

moocowme Mon 29-Sep-08 20:07:33

anything with caffeine stimultaes the production of more stomach acid. if you must have chocolate, have white chocolate as it has way less caffeine.

mad4mybaby Mon 29-Sep-08 20:14:16

i dont have caffeine and not having dairy so no chocolate. Very wierd as when i DO get it its awful but there is no link as to what im eating!

TamTam29 Sat 04-Oct-08 16:26:13

With ist pregnancy, I drank Gaviscon like it was water.

The only thing that helped was sucking on a boiled sweet or mints (m&s do sugar-free ones)

Looks like from the other posts though that you need to go back to GP

LeonieD Sat 04-Oct-08 17:34:43

Message withdrawn

Geepers Sat 04-Oct-08 17:37:50

you can buy ranitidine otc, although a pharmacist wil probably be reluctant to sell it to you if you are honest and say it's for you.

your gp can prescribe heavier duty PPIs, like omeprazole which are far more effective.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: