Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife found irregular heartbeat today, but have to sit tight for a week

(6 Posts)
mower Thu 25-Sep-08 17:24:16

Had a horrible midwife visit today, have too much glucose in urine, a possible hernia in groin and midwife found fetal heartbeat was skipping a beat at points.

She is coming around next week to listen again and check urine again and I have made a doctors appointment to check out hernia.

Just feel this is horrible to have to wait a week to see if heartbeat is still skipping. Ds2 was born with a heart condition, he had surgery a year ago to correct it and is now nearly two and doing really well, but just feel it is going to take so much strenght if we have to go through that again.

Should I phone up maternity ward and see if I can go down this evening to monitor heart beat or just wait? Might sound pathtic asking this but dh still at work and will be driving so can't ask him. My mum has my children so house is very lonely at mo!

LouMacca Thu 25-Sep-08 17:27:20

You don't sound pathetic at all. I don't blame you for feeling this way. A week is a long time.

I would defo phone maternity ward to see if you can go down there to put your mind at rest.

Helsbels4 Thu 25-Sep-08 17:32:33

Oh, you're not being pathetic at all! I don't know if it's the same but when I was pregnant with ds(8) I went for a routine midwife appointment and she said that the baby's heart was missing a bit too. I was sent to the local maternity ward where they listened to it and confirmed it and then I had to wait a few days for a special scan at Guy's Hospital in London - I was terrified! I went for the scan which was just a few days before Christmas and the sonographer said that lots of babies do this and it wasn't anything to worry about and it will sort itself out. I hope yours will turn out to be nothing as well smile

mower Thu 25-Sep-08 17:40:27

Thanks, it was the same missing a bit helsbels4 but they havent sent me to maternity for it to be listened too. Hoping dh will be home soon so he will come with me, if they will do it that is!

Helsbels4 Thu 25-Sep-08 17:51:20

It's just the not knowing if something is wrong or not isn't it and it would be easy for me to say to sit tight and don't worry but that's impossible to do! I don't blame you for worrying as your ds had a heart problem, so maybe it would be a good idea to go to your maternity ward and get them to have a listen. How many wks are you? Let us know how you get on

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 25-Sep-08 17:55:02

It's not unusual to get an irregular fetal heartbeat, however it should be checked out, especially with the history you have given. Are you still experiencing regual movements? I would give your CDU a ring a stress how anxious you are given your history, they should invite you in for monitoring and a review with a probable referal to on Obs clinic in the next day or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now