Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Found out it's going to be a boy - am shocked! Please tell me your lovely little boy stories!!

(151 Posts)
Itsablue Thu 25-Sep-08 10:01:03

Have name changed for this as don't want any RL people to know how I feel who may know me on here...

Last Friday we had the 20 wk scan and I have been CONVINCED, absolutely convinced that it was going to be a girl. I don't know why. Maybe because there are a lot of girls in both our families. Before I got pg I totally didn't mind what we had but since the day I found out I was pg, it was "always" going to be a girl. DH and I have stupidly got caught up in this mythical princess baby girl.

Just for confirmation of my sure suspicions, we asked to know what sex the baby was. Imagine my surprise when she tells us "definately a boy".

Now I know I am delighted that the baby is healthy but I must admit I was knocked for six on the day when we found out it is a boy. I found it hard to take in. All I kept thinking was "where's my girl gone?!?!" I cannot imagine myself with a boy - what do you DO with boys, if that makes sense?! (probably not but I am an irrational pg woman).

DH says he's pleased with either boy or girl but I know I was so convinced and convincing that we were having a girl, I've got him all excited about the girl we are now not having. This is making me feel worse.

I am trying really hard to replace all the girl fantasies with boy ones - but it is hard and every time I see baby girl clothes/prams/toys I feel a bit sad. I know its terrible to feel like this. I just see boys as being somehow not as much fun (ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous).

I would find it so helpful if you could tell me your gorgeous little boy stories please, so I can paint out the girl for good and genuinely look forward to my boy.

TippiShagpile Thu 25-Sep-08 10:03:45

I have boys. They are brilliant.

They are affectionate, funny, full of energy and on the go all day long. They are gorgeous, hard work, full of mischief and generally an absolute joy.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Sep-08 10:05:09

Boys are fab Trust me, you'll love him.

Ebb Thu 25-Sep-08 10:05:23

My Ds is only 19weeks but he is totally gorgeous. I can't really say more than that as he's so young but I'm sure you will fall head over heels with your little boy when he arrives. I like the idea of mine being a Mummy's boy when he's little then when he's a bit older kicking him and Dp out to football at the weekends so I can have a lie in! grin

Marne Thu 25-Sep-08 10:05:50

I hav'nt got any good boy stories but congratulations, i have 2 girls and would love a little boy, i can tell you plenty of bad girl stories. Girls winge, they cost more to clothe, they have long hair which takes time to brush/wash and they are hard work.

frogs Thu 25-Sep-08 10:07:48

And they love their mums. They really do. Drop a girl at nursery and it's, "Oh, are you going? Do I care?". Drop a boy at nursery and it's, "Bye mummy, love you mummy, bye bye".

Mine is 9 and has been the easiest of all my 3 dc. He still likes to sit on my lap, as long as no-one's looking.

He looks like a small blond version of his dad (who is also gorgeous, natch), and is the sweetest thing. Lots of girls in his class have crushes on him, which he's mortified about.

Boys rock.

Buda Thu 25-Sep-08 10:08:30

I was the same as you but without actually finding out till delivery. I didn't want to know but was convinced it was a girl - Laura.

We now have a football mad boy and I wouldn't change it. Would still love a girl but adore my boy.

You have time to get your head around it! To be honest what you are experienceing is the reason I didn't want to find out the sex. At delivery when he popped (dragged kicking and screaming more like!) out and they said it was a boy, I was shock for about 10 seconds and then totally thrilled. Esp at DH's face!

CJMommy Thu 25-Sep-08 10:08:30

You really won't care when you hold that little bundle in your arms for the first time.

FWIW my DS is now 8 months and he is the most gorgeous, precious and most beautiful thing in my life. He is charming, funny, cheeky, mischevious, determined and has a wonderful smile. He is always happy, loves cuddles and it is wonderful to see how his own little personality is coming out!

Stop giving yourself a hard time and just accept that you will need time to adjust to the idea of a little boy.

Good Luck and Congratulations!

surprisenumber3 Thu 25-Sep-08 10:09:15

I too was convinced I was having a girl with first pg. Didn't find out it was a boy until birth and didn't even have a name for him!

Have since had another boy and they are so sweet, cuddly (even aged 9 and 4!), so much less complicated that my mum says me and my sis were as kids.

Now I am really into cub stuff, camping, sailing boats on the lake, electric scooters, pokemon etc and I love it all! Am pg again now and everyone assumes I'm hoping for a girl but really I don't know what I'd do with a girl!!

clapton Thu 25-Sep-08 10:10:08

My first was a boy and they are great. Very loving even now and he's nearly 9. I agree with Tippi, very funny and full of mischief.

I have a daughter too who is 4, boys are generally more laid back, I definitely found him easier as a baby.

muckypups Thu 25-Sep-08 10:10:18

I was too worried and im ashamed to say a little dissapointed when i found out my 3rd was a boy. BUT OMG the bond we have is brilliant. Boys are so cuddly and loving and just fab. I now have two girls and two boys and whilst i dearly love the girls i absoultley adore the boys.

Youve heard the saying about a mum and her boys, well thats me and im sure will be the same with you too. Well done and enjoy. he will bring you so much joy and laughter.

A little tip, when putting on his nappy remember to point his willy down wink

ForeverOptimistic Thu 25-Sep-08 10:11:47

I have a 4 year old little boy and he is fantastic!!!

Boys can be incredibly loving. My ds is always telling me that he loves me and loves cuddles, he says to me "Mummy there is always time for a cuddle". smile Boys are full of energy and full of fun.

I am making sweeping generalisations here but I have found the toddler years are harder with boys because they really don't know how to sit still and you are forever running after them. However at 4 years it does get easier ds is less sensitive than a lot of his girl friends who do seem to get upset easily. Sadly the bitchiness and excluding each other from friendship groups does already seem to have started with the girls whereas all that seems to go straight over the boys heads.

Girls are fantastic too I would be quite happy with a boy or girl next! smile

Poshpaws Thu 25-Sep-08 10:12:11

I have 3 boys (7,3 and 18months). Different for me as I had always wanted at least one boy smile.

However, as others have said, they are fab. All of mine are affectionate, kind and big bundles of energy (which tbh suits me just fine as I am more of that type of mum).

You will love him just as much as your princesssmile. BTW, not all girls are girly and not all boys are energetic.One of my best friend's two DDs are very tomboyish and her son is the most gentle of her children grin

Peachy Thu 25-Sep-08 10:12:52

Boys are afb- at my last scan before my baby I was over the moon to find out it was a boy. And that was my 4ths on so there must be something good about them LOL!

Don't worry about your reactio- give ourself a few das, treat yourself to a cute babygro or two, and I'll be very surprised if you dont feel better

Congrats- lucky you!

mehgalegs Thu 25-Sep-08 10:13:31

Boys rock - I have 4 - they are interesting, madly testerone filled and macho one minute the next they are curled up for a cuddle and a story.

beansprout Thu 25-Sep-08 10:13:35

I have 2 boys (nearly 4 and 8mo). Boys are affectionate, full of energy and don't care about their hair or shoes, which suits me fine!! Ds1's favourite phrase atm is, "You're the best mummy, love you all the world". smile

MamaG Thu 25-Sep-08 10:15:41

I'll give you a recent boy story

DS aged 4 came thundering up the stairs (they do that a lot, thundering about!) shouting "where are you mummy?"

"in my room sorting out the clothes"

" well I'm coming becuase I need to see your beautiful face"

<melt> <melt> <melt>

holly78 Thu 25-Sep-08 10:16:02

I would love to have a boy. My sister has a boy and he such fun and mischevious,hes a little devil but in the best possible way!

FrockHorror Thu 25-Sep-08 10:16:36

I agree Clapton. Ds is waaaaay more easier than DD was as a baby. Don't know about the rest of it yet as he is only 13 weeks but I too had convinced myself he would be a girl but when we found out at the 20 week scan that he was a boy, I cried. Not because I was sad or disappointed, but because I could finally say "That's my boy" or "My daughter and son". I know it sounds silly, but it made me feel good.

Itsablue Thu 25-Sep-08 10:16:40

Thanks everyone. I feel awful about it (and stupid - why would I think it was definately a girl?) I know it's really shallow of me to want one or the other when all that counts that we are lucky to be having a baby. I just didn't have much to do with boys growing up and haven't got any brothers or male cousins.

Glad we found out at 20 weeks though, as by 40 weeks I would have probably not believed the doctors/midwives when a boy pops out grin so at least I am getting over the shock now. I really wish I didn't feel like this as it's playing on my mind a bit (a lot)...

jellybeans Thu 25-Sep-08 10:16:44

Hi I never really cared what gender mine were after lots of m/cs but after 2 DDs was abit shocked when found out was having twin DSs!! I also felt I didn't know 'what to do' with boys (have no brothers etc) and I always thought my DD were so great that I wasn't sure if boys were so appealing (i think we all see what we have as the best as they are ours!!). Well now I can say that boys are fab and every bit as nice as girls. I LOVE boys clothes I think they are just as cute. It is true about boys being loving and straighforward. I am expecting another (we think) boy and am very happy. The hardest so far by a mile so I hope preteen boys are easier!!

Snaf Thu 25-Sep-08 10:16:49

Boys are divine. They are scrummy, gorgeous, funny, sweet, rewarding and just brilliant. I couldn't imagine having a girl, tbh - but that's kind of the point. You love your kids whatever, boy or girl. You will adore him, I promise.

(And tbh, the 'mythical princess baby girl' thing is just that - a myth. There's a lot more to having a kid than the choice between pink and blue...)

You'll be fine, dont fret.

jellybeans Thu 25-Sep-08 10:17:59

ooops the above should say that my preteen DD is the hardest by miles...!!

Katw3kitts Thu 25-Sep-08 10:18:29

I've got 2 boys and they are fab fab fab !

Lots of cuddles, lego and muddy football boots.

And they love their mums the most grin

PinkTulips Thu 25-Sep-08 10:19:56

i have one of each and i found my boy alot more placid, alot cuddlier, he's easier to reason with, less inclined to hysterics, doesn't get bratty and snippy with other kids and is much more eager to please.

obviously that's my boy and my girls but from talking to and watching other peoples kids i think it's fair enough to say that boys tend to be slightly more inclined to cuddliness and being quite laid back than the girs i know.

i'm expecting no3 and tbh, am secretly hoping it's another boy as, much as i love dd to pieces, the thought of another boy is lovely.

as they get older boys are alot easier to talk to, have far better toys wink and generally don't turn into shrieking hormonal banshees for the duration of puberty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now