Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heartburn at 14 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

(10 Posts)
LUCIA22 Wed 24-Sep-08 14:08:03

I had really bad heartburn with my last pregnancy but I cant remember when it started. I am now 14 weeks with my second and feel like it is starting already. I got reflux which caused burning to my windpipe and a bad cough, I think it is starting again is this a bit early? I havent had a chance to see the doctor yet so can anyone remind me of the best things to take other than gaviscon.

greenlawn Wed 24-Sep-08 15:01:42

Hated gaviscon - it just felt like a layer of sickly stuff floating on top of the acid. Found Remegel tablets much better this time.

ciara07 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:10:31

hi i was crippled with heart burn in my first pregnancy, i am only 6 weeks and it has started again - cant face another 34 weeks of this!!

I found none of the over the counter stuff worked i got a prescription from the docs, need to go and get some for this time!!

ciara07 Wed 24-Sep-08 22:10:52

hi i was crippled with heart burn in my first pregnancy, i am only 6 weeks and it has started again - cant face another 34 weeks of this!!

I found none of the over the counter stuff worked i got a prescription from the docs, need to go and get some for this time!!

thumbwitch Wed 24-Sep-08 22:15:21

vanilla icecream worked wonders for me. I used G&B vanilla icecream but I expect any good quality dairy vanilla icecream would work.
Good luck - it's a whole lot better than Gaviscon anyway!

Romney Thu 25-Sep-08 02:26:51

Vanilla ice cream here too (or Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough at a stretch). Half a cup after every meal does the trick for me. It seems to soothe everything with lovely mild alkaline on the way down and form a barrier over the stomach acid that lasts for ages. Like the firemen in the Gaviscon advert only it tastes nice!

Romney Thu 25-Sep-08 02:27:29

Oh and Rennies! But they don't last near as long as vanilla ice cream.

PortAndLemon Thu 25-Sep-08 07:47:33

It didn't start until the third trimester in my first pregnancy, but kicked in at around 12 weeks the second time. I hate Gaviscon and used to use Remegel (wish I'd heard of the vanilla ice cream trick...)

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Thu 25-Sep-08 07:51:57

Can advise a chocolate milkshake helps as well, something like Galaxy or Mars (not the thick ones, they seem to make it worse) And not too much at once, the alkaline effect can be too much and take it the other way.

Also refreshers are as good as rennies, but taste a little bit better

mamatilly Thu 25-Sep-08 09:48:30

oooh, love the idea of vanilla ice cream!

i have been trying out smaller meals and then some hot milk before bed... sort of works... sometimes!

xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now