Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do pregnant women not need coats - are we immune to the winter?

(27 Posts)
Tapster Wed 24-Sep-08 13:05:15

There are hardly any maternity coats/jackets around. Are they expecting us to freeze all winter. I'm due in March and I'm already getting cold. Getting a bigger size doesn't really work when you are 5ft tall you just get swamped by fabric. Anybody found anything decent to wear to keep out the cold?

Upwind Wed 24-Sep-08 13:06:29

So far a long, thick cardigan from H&M works well, in the depths of winter I think an oversize coat will have to be added. For casual wear I will steal DH's.

DrNortherner Wed 24-Sep-08 13:08:08

I had an April baby so went through winter pregnant. I bought a cheap one in the next size up and it was fine.

hotCheeseBurns Wed 24-Sep-08 13:11:40

I just wore my normal coat unbuttoned when I was pregnant.

The thing I found hard was finding jumpers. The ONLY one in the world was from formes and cost about £60 and it wasn't even that nice but I had to wear it all the time because it was either that or my granny's ginormous grey woolly thing which hung to my knees. angry

Bluebutterfly Wed 24-Sep-08 13:16:57

I got a maternity coat from H&M last time around - ds born in Jan 05.

There is a really nice one available online

here

Bluebutterfly Wed 24-Sep-08 13:18:41

Something like this would work quite well, too:

cape

Bluebutterfly Wed 24-Sep-08 13:20:47

La Redoute has a nice long cardi (not too pricey)

here

Mercy Wed 24-Sep-08 13:21:25

I had 2 winter pregnancies (one born in February and one in April).

I just wore my usual coat but undone - and borrowed a couple of dh's jumpers that he didn't want, also a couple of cheap fleeces from Gap (small mens sizes)

Moonlit Wed 24-Sep-08 13:23:49

Hi Tapster - Red Herring at Debenhams has two very reasonably priced jackets/coats between 55-60 quid. Mamas and papas has a lovely thick cardigan for 50 quid - I am going to get this personally.

x

tinkcantwaitfor3dscan Wed 24-Sep-08 17:10:47

i have bought a coat from sainsborys is great i am only 5ft2ins bought coat in a size 20 doesnt look to enormous on me

LaTrucha Wed 24-Sep-08 17:24:02

I got last year's version of this when pg last year. here

Money well spent IMO. Wish mine had a hood!

Tapster Wed 24-Sep-08 18:13:07

Thanks LaTrucha that seems ideal - I've got a toddler so I don't need anything smart for during the day but warm while I am in the playground. I can't wear wool next to my skin so that makes the cardigan options not possible. Thanks for your suggestions.

Tapster Wed 24-Sep-08 18:16:21

Sorry just realised that a few people suggested stealing DH's clothes - I'm 5ft and he is 6ft - I suppose I could wear his jumpers as dresses...

LaTrucha Wed 24-Sep-08 18:22:50

Cardigans don't keep the rain / drizzle off. I'm so glad I spent the money - and it looks good enough post birth too.

pinata Wed 24-Sep-08 20:29:40

i wore my normal coat unbuttoned and a very big thick scarf to cover my front - DD was born in december, so i couldn't justify buying a maternity coat when only needed it for a few weeks. if i'd had to go all winter i might have thought different...

SqueakyPop Wed 24-Sep-08 20:31:45

I had four winter pregnancies (ie advanced stage) and never had a special coat. I can't remember really needing one, even when living in a really cold place (with winter temps of -10 to -20 degrees).

Twelvelegs Wed 24-Sep-08 20:33:35

What you need is parents in China and get one made (well okay three, one long, one short and one very dressy!!)....grin. Sorry four I also had a raincoat made, lovely long and red.

NotAnOtter Wed 24-Sep-08 20:34:00

i wore normal coat NOT worth wastingmoney for a ffew weeks

Twelvelegs Wed 24-Sep-08 20:35:46

disclaimer, Not too spoilt as they can be worn for months after as I have a c-section and always put on quite a bit of weight, so need larger clothes to wear whilst gettin back to normal size.

mamatilly Thu 25-Sep-08 09:50:47

oooh, i would love to feel the cold! am on permanent over-heating here and wearing t-shirts while everyone else in woollies

xxx

mamatilly Thu 25-Sep-08 09:51:26

but you could always try a shawl/wrap/pashmina...

LaTrucha Thu 25-Sep-08 10:36:32

Depends where you live I suppose. We get a lot of drizzle / sea breezes where I live, so woolies just not on. The coat was essential to me getting any walks in the last while of pg.

meep Thu 25-Sep-08 10:41:33

tinkcantwaitfor3dscan i just got one from Sainsburys (am 5ft!) - black with buttons at boob height them loose over bump area. £35 and smart enough to wear to work!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 25-Sep-08 10:42:14

i wore dh's jumpers and froze and got soaked. we trailed around every town center and all over the internet looking for maternity winter coats and found NOTHING.

i did eventually find a long cardigan thing from next but that is the closest i found to a maternity coat. oh the amounts of times i wanted to scream "find me a fucking coat that will fit and i will wear it you stupid old bag. and dont your dare suggest i wear your fluffy old lady fleeces!" at poor mil who was only trying to be helpfull. <i balme pregnancy hormones. i didnt say it to her but i did keep telling dh how utterly stupid she was being. i mean if i could find a coat i would have wore. did she think i enjoyed getting rained on?>

SlinkieM Thu 25-Sep-08 12:49:37

Isabella oliver has beautiful coats. Zara worth a look too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now