Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Probably fretting uneccesarily - baby is breech at 28 weeks

(13 Posts)
RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 21:53:26

2nd baby, so assuming more room in there for turning. The baby will turn tho won't they... [hopeful]

Just have morbid fear of C/S

LeonieD Wed 24-Sep-08 08:37:10

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Wed 24-Sep-08 08:38:01

You know, you don't necessarily have to have a C/S even if your baby is breech at term.

Lots of time to turn too. Don't fret.

ajm200 Wed 24-Sep-08 08:41:15

You've got loads of time and if baby is still breech later you can discuss getting baby turned manually or depending on the breech position, maybe deliver naturally.

Getting baby moved is very uncomfortable for you as they have to press hard on your tummy to turn baby but could save you from surgery. It think its call ECV but not 100% sure.

ajm200 Wed 24-Sep-08 08:44:35

Check out www.spinningbabies.com for tips on turning a breech baby. The site is a unstable and down a lot but does contain some really useful info. Also follow the tip on the left to see the site properly formatted.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 24-Sep-08 14:45:21

Thanks for the replies, I know there's plenty of time really, just really getting The Fear this time round. Things went so smoothly with DS that I am worriting things won't this time.

Thanks ajm - will check out spinning babies

LackaDAISYcal Wed 24-Sep-08 14:52:00

My DD turned at about 38 weeks...painfully in the middle of the night when I rolled over in bed. I thought I had done some serious damage. It wasn't until she was delivered by elCS at 39 weeks and the OBs said she had been breech for a long time that I put two and two together about the turning though, as MW had been telling me she was head down for weeks!

There is still time so try not to worry. I'm 34 weeks with DC3 and he has only turned this week.

WinkyWinkola Wed 24-Sep-08 16:45:21

If you do end up being breech, then here are two great books: Totally non panic inducing, informative and easy to read:

Breech Birth: What are my options by Jane Evans

Breech Birth by Benna Waites

And Mary Cronk is a very experience midwife in this area. If you google her, you'll be able to read all kinds of interesting stuff about breech.

Good luck. I hope you have a really positive birth experience.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 24-Sep-08 20:00:04

Thanks Winky - will check those out. We have a doula booked and know she has an extensive library.

I had a lovely calm homebirth last time, so obv hoping to go that way again. But I'm finding the whole idea of childbirth much more daunting second time round for some reason...

Tangle Wed 24-Sep-08 20:39:01

You know what's coming afterwards

DD was born as a breech baby at home with IMs. It was lovely and calm

I found the two books WW listed very useful in coming to an informed decision - the Benna Waites book also has a section on ways to encourage baby to turn that you might find useful, plus it never hurts to be prepared.

All that said, there is still PLENTY of time for your baby to turn and statistics say it most likely will (IIRC something like 20% of babies are breech at 28weeks, and only 3% are breech at term), so try and relax as best you can.

Fingers crossed for you

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 24-Sep-08 21:51:18

That's good to hear Tangle

snickersnack Wed 24-Sep-08 21:53:27

ds was breech until 32 weeks. No-one ever suggested it was a problem at that stage, and I didn't even notice him turning. Spinning Babies is great if you can get your head round the crazy unique formatting

SqueakyPop Wed 24-Sep-08 22:23:58

You are over reacting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now