Talk

Advanced search

Overweight Pregnancy...

(16 Posts)
dabihp Sun 27-Feb-05 07:57:41

Anyone manage to safely lose weight during pregnany? I know this isn't strictly adavised, but m/w and doctor said its okay if its you losing and nothing to do with baby, ands its slow sensible rate, problem is HOW do you diet whilst pregnant???

FairyMum Sun 27-Feb-05 08:50:53

I am not overweight myself, but I think it depends how you diet. I think you need your calorie uptake in pregnancy, but you should look at where you get your calories from.

nicmum2boys Sun 27-Feb-05 09:11:47

Hi, I lost 1 1/2 stone while pg with DS2 19 months ago, was v overweight to start with though (about 6 stone). Did it by just eating sensibly, lots of fruit and veg, and lean meat etc. Basically what I should be doing anyway, but somehow found this much easier when I was doing it for the health of my growing baby rather than my own well being if that makes sense.
My m/w and doctor didn't seem the least bit interested about my weight, as long as baby was growing fine they were happy.
When I say I lost 1 1/2 stone, I actually weighed the same on my due date, as I did the day I found out I was pregnant. After the birth I weighed 1 1/2 stone lighter.
Do you have alot to lose? (if you don't mind me asking)

dabihp Sun 27-Feb-05 09:14:24

Hmm... Shhh (about 5 st) have put on 2 st since finding out i was pregnant and really cant afford to put on anymore, just findign it so hard to not overeat, esp when u get in the habit of eating a lot...

alexsmum Sun 27-Feb-05 09:16:24

i did slimming world when i was pregnant. because it's just sensible eating, it's no problem. i did put weight on when preg but i suspect nowhere near the amount i would have put on otherwise!

nicmum2boys Sun 27-Feb-05 09:29:09

How far along are you? Is this your 1st? I know it's hard. With DS1 I managed to put on 4 stone. I was mortified as I'd lost 3 stone just before finding out I was pregnant with him. So, when I became pregnant with DS2, and I was about the same weight then as I had been at 9 months gone with DS1 I was determined I wasn't going to gain any unnecessary weight. I was so uncomfortable by the end of my first pregnancy I could barely walk (although I did have really bad water retention, which happily didn't happen 2nd time). I was petrified I would be that incapacitated but with a 3 year old in tow!
I too have heard good things about slimming world in pregnancy, but not tried it myself. I think the best thing you can do is eat to your hunger, but eat the right stuff. Alot easier said than done, I know .

dabihp Sun 27-Feb-05 09:33:27

I am 27 weeks with 2nd baby, put on 6st with dd1 and had only managed to lose 3 of the b4 getting preggers again!

Slimming world is green/red days... Just sensible eating I guess...

nicmum2boys - so how much did you put on with 2nd one??

nicmum2boys Sun 27-Feb-05 09:44:05

I didn't actually put on any weight over the course of the pregnancy, weighed the same on due date (DS2 born the next day) as I did at 4 weeks. I lost around a pound a week up till about week 23 then gradually gained again. After he was born I weighed 1 1/2 stone less than I had done at 40 weeks.

dabihp Sun 27-Feb-05 09:46:06

sigh! WIsh I had done that! Guess I will have to try it the other way round!

Yorkiegirl Sun 27-Feb-05 10:04:38

Message withdrawn

nicmum2boys Sun 27-Feb-05 10:13:04

I think now you are keeping an eye on your weight you will naturally be more careful. Don't beat yourself up, and don't expect not to put on any more weight. I think the average is about 1lb a week in the last trimester, as baby grows alot faster, plus alot more blood pumping round you both. So as long as you're not going drastically over that I would think you can rest assured weight going on is baby, not you! That said you do have to bear in mind water retention, as that could put weight on too. I lost 2 stone after giving birth to DS1, but only 1 1/2 stone after DS2. I think this is cos I carried alot of water with DS1 (my ankles were like tree trunks, lol!). Would it help do you think to go to a class like slimming world? I know I'm generally better on the diet front if I feel I have to justify my actions to someone else .

dabihp Sun 27-Feb-05 10:16:49

no to the class - can't stand that environment, i know a lot of ppl find it very helpful, but in the past i have always found it very patronising!

Yorkiegirl Sun 27-Feb-05 10:17:48

Message withdrawn

dabihp Sun 27-Feb-05 10:19:47

Anyone still got their books? Any chance you could scan them and email them to me?

Yorkiegirl Sun 27-Feb-05 10:21:20

Message withdrawn

nicmum2boys Sun 27-Feb-05 10:25:55

Aren't there some slimming world threads on here? Sure they would be able to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now