Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

gestational diabetes

(7 Posts)
melody30 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:31:37

I had GD with my DD. Has anyone had it with their first preganancy but not with their second?

theyoungvisiter Sun 21-Sep-08 21:42:57

Not an expert but didn't want your thread to go unanswered - one of my friends had it in her first but not second pg.

She was monitored more closely for the first 28 weeks, then signed off.

As I say, I'm not an expert and haven't had GD myself but as I understand it from talking to my friend, you are more likely to get it 2nd time around than someone who's never had GD but it's definitely not inevitable.

Good luck!

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 21-Sep-08 21:54:07

There's a big support thread for those with GD, and some people have joined it expecting to get it because they had it in previous pregnancies, but have managed to escape it this time around, so having it once is certainly no guarantee of getting it again. Make sure you get tested around 16 weeks though, as this should be offered to women who've had it previously.

FairyBasslet Mon 22-Sep-08 13:32:08

I also know of someone who had it first time round but not second time so it is possible - fingers crossed for you...

I had it in my first pregnancy, and fully expected to get it the second time but didn't.

However I did cut out all sugar and saturated fat for 3 months before ttc and then for the whole of my pregnancy.

My midwife says this was unnecessary btw, and I have no idea if it made any difference, but I did it anyway.

Although it was HELL as I have a very sweet tooth.

On the plus side I lost all of my pregnancy weight in 3 months with no effort on my part whatsoever, whereas it took 2 years of work to get the weight off the first time.

You will have to have several GTT in this pregnancy, but if you don't have it by I think 28 weeks then they will leave you alone.

Good luck. smile

melody30 Mon 22-Sep-08 18:43:54

Thanks for all this - They didn't get round to detecting it until 30 weeks before and I had to inject myself with insulin - did you? I am dreading the GTTs - last thing i want to do and having to hang around the local hospital with a 17 month old!!

No I didn't have to inject, luckily mine was diet controled.

Is there no one who can look after your lo whilst you have the GTT's?

My hospital wouldn't allow us to take other children while they did the test, as you are not really suposed to move much after you have drank the glucose, as it affects the result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now