Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

bruise like mark next to private parts - does anyone know what it is?

(10 Posts)
Shelli08 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:20:02

hi im 33 weeks pg and i had a bit of itching down below, im not sure if its a hormonal thing or if i have an infection i looked in the mirror and its like a big bruised looking patch just next to private parts (about where my knicker line is) i feel too embarrased to go to my GP and wondered if anyone has had similar and what to use?

lilymolly Sun 21-Sep-08 19:21:19

could it be the begining of a varicose vein or maybe just chaffage grin

Shelli08 Sun 21-Sep-08 19:26:10

dont think its varicose vein cos its like a birth mark patch, whats chaffage?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 21-Sep-08 19:29:43

Shelli is right - it's a vulval varicosity - caused by pressure of the baby pressing on the blood vessels. You wait, it gets much worse. My lady garden looked like it had been beaten up by the end of my last pregnancy blush

whomovedmychocolate Sun 21-Sep-08 19:30:26

If it's brown it may be a vulval melanoma, ask the midwife to have a look, she won't mind.

belgo Sun 21-Sep-08 19:33:02

It does sound like a varicose vein. Don't worry, they don't necessarily get much worse and they go completely after you give birth(don't let wmmc scare you too muchgrin)

belgo Sun 21-Sep-08 19:33:51

yes ask your midwife, don't be embarrassed, she's seen it all before.

Shelli08 Sun 21-Sep-08 20:00:33

its like a purple colour like a bruise thanx for info xx

billyog Sun 21-Sep-08 20:08:26

Hi there, I'm 31wks pregnant and have the same thing. Midwife saw it and its vulval varicosity, as said before. You might wanna get your midwife to have a look and maybe get a swab done for the itch.

Moogatron Mon 22-Sep-08 09:40:03

Odd though it sounds, it could be thrush. Sometimes, if you are itchy and have a dark patch of skin nearby, it can be thrush. As a practice nurse, she/he may recommend getting some canestan cream on it to see if it goes down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now