Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much rest after CVS?

(10 Posts)
doodleduck Sun 21-Sep-08 18:26:27

Having a CVS next week after bad news on blood test. Nuchal measurement itself was fine but blood test wasn't and they spotted triscupid regurgitation on the heart.
This gave 1/33 risk of DS.

Has anyone who's had CVS could tell me how long they took off work / had time resting?
Was it painful or did you have pain afterwards?

Pregnancy (13 weeks) had so far been absolutely fine so petrified of miscarriage

greenlawn Sun 21-Sep-08 19:12:22

Hi, I found the procedure itself completely painless - a little uncomfortable - then had a mild period-like cramping lasting about an hour. Rested for a couple of hours more afterwards, but no more cramping and no bleeding at all. I would say it was emotionally draining though, as obviously you're very aware of every little cramp and twinge so you wouldn't want to rush back to work or childcare.

Good luck, hope it all goes OK.

pelvicflawed Mon 22-Sep-08 06:54:58

I had CVS when I was given a high Down's risk from a nuchal fold scan. The test was fine - slightly uncomfy but thats all - very quick. I took it easy the rest of the day but still was active ie walked a little after (round the shops mainly to take my mind off it all) and then went home and had a lie down. A few mild cramps but not even as bad as period pains. I went to work next day - mainly for my sanity - luckily my job is sitting down at a desk - perhaps if I had a very active job I may have taken another day or so off. Good luck and all the best.

doodleduck Tue 23-Sep-08 21:14:21

Thanks - am having CVS tomorrow at the Fetal Medicine Centre. Your experiences have reassured me a little. I've taken the rest of the week off work just in case!

jeanjeannie Tue 23-Sep-08 21:32:05

Had mine at the FMC - you're in good hands!

Procedure totally painless, just felt a little wibbly -over in less than 20 secs and zero discomfort afterwards. It's the waiting for the results that's the painful bit.
Hope all goes OK x

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Sep-08 21:38:27

doodleduck, I personally would err on the side of caution.

I know someone who had it and later started leaking waters. turns out that where they had punctured the membranes it had turned into a little tear and fluid was leaking out.

another friend lives in Italy and said that over there it is bedrest for 3 days after a CVS or amnio, to ensure the best results.

I don't want this to read as a horror story as I am sure that this is a rare occurence, but knowing someone it happened to would make me persoanlly be extra careful if I ever had one done

LittleMyDancingForJoy Tue 23-Sep-08 21:43:49

I had one back in Feb - as the others say, it' mildly uncomfortable but nothing drastic. I spent the rest of the day on the sofa but then normal activity the next day.

good luck x

doodleduck Thu 25-Sep-08 10:57:30

Thanks so much for your messages.

Had the CVS yesterday. Was a weird feeling but not painful as such. Am pleased I went with FMC and Prof N because not sure I would have felt confident having the procedure otherwise.

Went home in cab and since have gone from bed to chair working from home today/tomorrow as don't want anything bad to happen. At work everyone is on the go all the time with flights of stairs and lots of people ...

Having results tomorrow and hoping for the best.

greenlawn Thu 25-Sep-08 10:59:08

Good luck, I got the good news in a soft play centre and made them repeat the results about 20 times due to being surrounded by screaming children!

jeanjeannie Thu 25-Sep-08 13:51:14

Yes, Good luck. They were an hour late phoning me and, as I'd had 1 in 2 odds, I wasn't feeling very optimistic! I was a mess and, like greenlawn, I made them keep confirming the news that all was ok.

Fingers crossed for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now