Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Southmead birthpool suite?

(14 Posts)
hennaly Sun 21-Sep-08 17:53:59

Has anyone used it?
It wasnt there when i had my other children so just had a bath before going into delivery but i really want either a water birth or to be in the birth pool till the last minute but would like to hear anyone else experience of it at Southmead.

Peabody Sun 21-Sep-08 20:32:24

I've not used it, but I do know that it's first come, first served, so if you have your heart set on a water birth you might have to look at other options.

Good luck

sarah293 Sun 21-Sep-08 20:35:04

Message withdrawn

Peabody Sun 21-Sep-08 20:37:42

Don't say that, Riven, I'm giving birth there any day now!

The Birth Suite is nice. I have nothing positive to say about the post-natal care, though.

hennaly Sun 21-Sep-08 20:48:54

I have had all mine at southmead and always had excellent service, i am more than happy to be having this one there too.

Ebb Sun 21-Sep-08 20:57:21

I used the birthing pool and it was lovely. I found it really helped relax me ( maybe too much as had to get out eventually as was falling asleep blush )and if I have another I really hope I manage to give birth in the water. Ended up having an episiotomy with this one so gave birth on dry land! It's hit and miss as to whether the pool is available. I had to go in for a trace on the Saturday night and the whole birth suite and delivery suite was full. Had to wait til 11pm for a bed. Got home by 2am when my contractions kicked in so was back at Southmead by 3.30am and the birthing suite was empty and the pool available. Hope you get lucky as definately recommend it.

georgimama Sun 21-Sep-08 21:02:12

I found Southmead really good FWIW, I didn't have a water birth or use the birthing pool but I spent an inordinate amount of time in a very large, deep bath, being brought toast and tea by the lovely MW so almost a water labour anyway!

Twelvelegs Sun 21-Sep-08 21:03:20

I had my first two in Southmead and switched St Michaels.... the night care staff were so awful at Southmead. I would advise anyone to put notice in birth plans about what they expect from after care. I will be insisting on pain meds on TIME!!!

sarah293 Mon 22-Sep-08 07:48:35

Message withdrawn

ModeratelyMitey Mon 22-Sep-08 08:06:49

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 22-Sep-08 09:04:57

Message withdrawn

thequietone Mon 22-Sep-08 09:17:01

Wow, I heard Southmead was way better than St Michaels. I had DS1 in St Michaels - horrendous birth but fantastic staff and aftercare. Can you believe they didn't want me to leave! Usually they'd be tipping you out within hours...Mind you, never got over the blood in the showers when I went to have my first wash. Like a horror film!

georgimama Mon 22-Sep-08 14:06:15

Southmead was the same for the blood but I blame the other mums for that not the staff, women were in and out of the those showers constantly, so they didn't exactly have the opportunity to clean them everytime they were used.

I don't care whether people had just given birth, leaving blood behind is just manky (and no one on my bay was in any kind of state of physical or mental collapse, we had all had completely straight forward deliveries, fortunately and were all absolutely fine), it makes you wonder what their own homes are like.

Fortunately I found the after care at Southmead okay (perhaps things have improved since your horrible experience there Riven sad) although I did find it strange that I was not allowed to carry DS anywhere, but had to wheel him about in his basinet like a hostess at a 1970s dinner party with the dessert trolley.

hennaly Mon 22-Sep-08 16:43:09

I guess it goes to show there are good and bad experiences in all hospitals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now