Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Apart from Mothercare and M&P - where can i go shopping for nursery things?

(23 Posts)
tostaky Thu 18-Sep-08 11:49:43

I see Next as some stuff too but where else... I feel theres not much choice around....

Thanks

DrNortherner Thu 18-Sep-08 11:50:23

Toys R uS
John Lewis

MrsSnorty Thu 18-Sep-08 11:52:22

Ikea has very cheap cots / highchairs. All the big supermarkets sell baby clothes and bottles etc.

TigerFeet Thu 18-Sep-08 11:54:47

Kiddicare were excellent when I was expecting dd (5 years ago now)

Whereabouts are you? Local independent stores can be very good too.

purpleflower Thu 18-Sep-08 11:56:38

Ebay and bootsales are good.

sclubheaven Thu 18-Sep-08 11:58:34

If you want to shop online try bump to 3 or vertbaudet

MrsSnorty Thu 18-Sep-08 12:03:07

Also please bear in mind that not many babies sleep in their own rooms until at least 6 months, so it may be a bit of a waste of money to go crazy creating a nursery for a newborn.

Nbg Thu 18-Sep-08 12:04:03

Kiddicare are brilliant. Excellent service from them.

Also Babies R Us?

ChocOrange05 Thu 18-Sep-08 13:29:50

Blooming Marvellous sell Nursery stuff and they just sent me an e-mail with 20% off all nursery and toys. The code is "TPE2".

kingrolo Thu 18-Sep-08 16:30:44

If you're on a budget try Matalan.

We got a light shade, nappy stacker, cot tidy, pair of lined curtains, a cuddle wrap and changing mat for around £50. Good quality too, really can't tell the difference between the stuff we got and the Mamas and Papas ranges which cost 2 or 3 times more.

Also, TKMaxx if you're prepared to have a rummage through their stock!

kingrolo Thu 18-Sep-08 16:35:40

Oh, and if you can get hold of a second hand cot you'll only need a new mattress which can save you a fortune. We got our an unusualy sized mattress for £20 from BabyMattressOnline Excellent value and customer service.

ruddynorah Thu 18-Sep-08 16:37:35

ikea here.

Sidge Thu 18-Sep-08 16:40:17

Argos do nursery stuff, as do Toys R Us, and there's loads of online places - search baby nursery.

Personally I think Mothercare and M&P are horrendously overpriced wink

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 18-Sep-08 16:41:29

We got our cot, wardrobe and changer from the intranet at DH's work. Bargain.
IKea are very good.
lesters nursery world here in manchester fab for prams, car seats and somw furniture. They do deliver, too. fab customer service.

zoejeanne Thu 18-Sep-08 16:44:38

A friend has recommended Toys R Us to me as having the same brands but cheaper than mothercare and mamas and papas. Their website isn't very inspiring, but I'm going to go into a store to see if they have more ranges.

kingrolo Thu 18-Sep-08 16:57:56

Avoid Bambino direct - some pretty horrific stories on other threads about poor service. Baby's Mart - online - good in my experience, cheapest place for a Britax car seat and it came in just 2 days!

glitterstar88 Thu 18-Sep-08 18:55:34

Try googling baby stores and your local area. There are quite alot of independant baby stores out there, i was surprised of the amount i found near to where i live.

SpookyMadMummy Thu 18-Sep-08 19:05:01

Local discount baby shop - theres usually a few about..

callmemitey Thu 18-Sep-08 19:08:50

Kiddicare, Supermarkets, Catalogues and definately the local independant ones. Not as over priced as I thought they would be and usually happy to match a price you see somewhere else.

SpookyMadMummy Thu 18-Sep-08 19:11:21

Oh and often local independents will let you pay for the big stuff bit by bit too.

Wade Thu 18-Sep-08 19:54:25

jojomamanbebe, tesco online, woolworths, John Lewis (will price match), asda.

tostaky Fri 19-Sep-08 07:12:12

Local independent shops??? What is that? Are they not all extincts???

Thanks for your advice! I've bookmarked a few websites and will google baby shops locally

snuffkin Fri 19-Sep-08 22:11:56

Have you thought of trying freecycle? Here's the web address: http://www.freecycle.org/ you can search to see if there's one local to you. In case you don't know what it is - it's a web forum where people offer their unwanted items (and once you have followed the standard etiquette of offering something yourself you can put a wanted post). Very good for second hand baby items...all for free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now