Talk

Advanced search

Stopping Smoking in pregnancy- The support Thread- We know we aren't perfect but were trying

(15 Posts)
1wish Wed 17-Sep-08 21:28:05

Sign in Bekkaboo!!

bekkaboo Wed 17-Sep-08 21:29:58

signing in 1wish, well done. Following on from previous thread I feel much better for talking about it.

So come on 1wish name the day your quitting? So we can crave together x

1wish Wed 17-Sep-08 21:35:12

I know I'm making excuses here, but I really feel I need that book before i can quit!!

God I am so so so weak and ((whispers)) I was lying about it being a couple, it's more like 6 or 7 blush sad

How many days have you stopped for now bekkaboo, and what did you say to yourself to achieve it?

I realise i'm not being very supportive here, but it is the beginning, i'll get there

bekkaboo Wed 17-Sep-08 21:41:35

Ok here goes.

My DH says that what ive save in fags has gone on eletricity have fridge door open angry he's right ive eaten a lot!

I think your right in reading that book before you stop and maybe wait till 12 week scan if thats what set mind on.

Only ben stopped 2 1/5 days but been longest 2 1/5 ever. Today def easier than yesterday.

TO ACHIEVE, If told myself I dont want to have to explain to DS (2) and new baby that mummy's dying because she smokes. Im sorry you wont have a mum anymore but a fag was much more important. With that thought i tend to cry a lot thinking prob wont happen but then again i think lots of kids have heard it too many times... shocked now?
If perfectly honest thats only reason stopping not coz im PG.

woo12woo Thu 18-Sep-08 06:12:48

I am 14 weeks pregnant and I have been to a hypnotist(didn't work) i am thinking of trying accupuncture next. i smoke around 5-6 a day and feel so guilty...I really want to stop.. I have also read the Allen Carr book That didn't work either...help!

emma2617 Thu 18-Sep-08 11:23:01

Hey Ladies!!

I am 15 weeks pregnant and quit as soon as I found out I was pregnant...cold turkey!!

I was smoking aroung 20-25 a day but always said I would quit for baby!!

I still crave a smoke, and I even dream about smoking...on a regular basis!! But I figure you make so many sacrifices for baby, what is one more!!!

Wish you guys loads of luck though...its tough, but completely acheivable!!

B52s Thu 18-Sep-08 13:11:20

Hi girls
It is entirely possible. I smoked about 20 a day for 10 years and DP wanted to quit at New Year, but I didn't. (This was in 2003). I just didn't have another ciggie. That was it. I thought I'll have one if I really, really want one, then after 2 days I thought it would be a shame to spoil this, and kept going. Did use nicotine replacement pills that were minty. DP got addicted to these! But the upshot is, I never intended to quit but have since saved £12,200 on not buying ciggies since 2003. Now what could you do with that? Good luck girls, it is worth it in the end.

Juliette108 Thu 18-Sep-08 17:09:41

Good luck everyone. I have managed but I still wake up thinking about it! I think that will go. Just to let you know, there may not be many people actively contributing to the thread because of their feelings of shame and guilt, but many many people will be reading it. On other websites there are records of 'views' as well as messages on threads and the smoking in pregnancy always have hugely high views and relatively few active contributors. Well done for the public support and best of luck.

MrsMattie Thu 18-Sep-08 17:13:04

You can do it. I smoked 10-15 a day until I got pregnant with my DS and quit. I LOVED smoking, and had been smoking for nearly 15 years. It will get loads easier after the first few weeks of stopping, too, I promise you.

bekkaboo Thu 18-Sep-08 19:29:37

hi ladies, well today been a lot better, starting to feel like myself, not thinking of ciggies all day, but still often. Im hoping each day will get better from now. I have completely changed my routine in day so many of the hings ive done today hasn't related to smokng which has really helped, thanks for support.

1wish are you ok??

bekkaboo Mon 13-Oct-08 21:48:51

not sure if anyone was following this but just wanted to add its 4 weeks today for me, and its a lot better now, all day sickness has helped but id cracked it before that all set in. Still find morning the worse but dont really give it a second thought anymore.

jbakedbean Mon 13-Oct-08 23:07:36

apologies now for large response

i am now 15 weeks pregnant and smoked 20 per day before. I'd like to say i gave up when I found out but instead I cut down to silk cut ultra's and down to 5 a day. My partner thought I had given up as this is what i had told my partner and doctor, i found myself having to sneak cigerettes and desperate for people to leave me alone so i could have a sneaky fag, smoked in the car and was constantly worried someone i knew would see me and the pleasure i got from the fag actually made me more anxious with me trying to hide the habit as i felt soooo guilty. about 6 weeks ago i had my last cig, apart from the thought of something being wrong with the baby, or me getting seriously ill before it had grown up, the thought of how i look at pregnant women that smoke, you know that disgusted look, and how my parents, friedns look at women that some I was so ashamed that the pleasure had gone.

I still have huge cravings especially when anxious, angry, emotional, after food etc etc etc but on the positive side i do have a bit more energy, not sure whether this is down to the 14 week point or giving up the fags but it is getting easier.

Trying to give up before i was pregnant always made me extremly depressed, manic with emotions and just couldn't cope at all, so much so that my mum who is an out and out anti smoker actually said it would be better for me and the people around me if i smoked again and tried when it was a better time.

This time giving up although not easy by any means, i haven't actually been as depressed, and have found it significantly easier than before.

I do believe though that some people will find it harder than me and looking at pregnant women now that smoke I am not so judgemental as I can understand. I think if you cut it down to the minimum possible a day if it is too painful to give up fully then i think 5 or less a day should not be soo harmful.

It is such a social taboo for pregnant women to smoke but if you google heroin addictions and nicotine addiction, nicotine is just as strong if not stronger and more difficult to give up so try your best and if you can't cut down and try not to beat yourself up about it, your happiness is much better for the baby than high anxiety levels.

I personally had to give up fully as cutting down was almost as painful as giving up, not being able to smoke when i wanted just made all the gaps more painful so for me the decision was easy.

I still love smoking and like all us smokers wish that it wasn't bad for us and others, but hey, do what is right for your mental state and the baby.

all the best and sorry about going on for ages.

kennedy77 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:12:05

hi all

Im 7 weeks pregant and i just cant seem to stop the fags!!! i want to a i know its not good and verytime i speak to my mum she hounds me about it(she dont smoke). im finding it really hard especially as my hubbie smokes. when i first found out i cut it down from 20 to about 5 a day but its gradually creeping up again to about 10/12. Any suggestions as to how i can kick this habit????

barbareebaa Wed 15-Oct-08 21:12:23

Hello ladies,
I used to love smoking...
I gave up a few weeks into pregnancy - I was on about 20 a day and cut down to 5 a day. Then me and dh chose a day and then stopped - cold turkey. Have managed to stay off the smokes for 6 months.

Just want to say it is good to have support -someone to give up with.

Also - I think what helped me was the fact that I cut down before stopping - you get so used to wanting to smoke that when you do give up you're already used to wanting a fag All THE TIME grin

Don't give up giving up - You can do it - it's so worth it and it gets easier - honest x

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 16-Oct-08 10:33:59

kennedy - does he smoke around you? i banished DH outside to smoke which helped. this isn't nice and it's a shock tactic but in 80-90% of cot deaths the mother smoked in pregnancy. no idea why, but i imagine you could be damaging the baby's lungs? imagine waiting all that time for your baby, giving birth then losing it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now