Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 weeks scan results - low lying placenta

(6 Posts)
Helley Wed 17-Sep-08 18:14:08

Hi everyone,

Just had my 20 weeks scan today and been told that I have a very low lying placenta which is covering the exit.

I've been booked in for another scan at 36 weeks as it can apparently move when your baby gets bigger, into a position which is a bit safer for normal delivery.

I had my heart set on a homebirth but if things don't move I could be booked in for a c-section which is a bit gutting and scary as I'm not a fan of hosptials...hench reason for the homebirth!

Has anyone had a low lying placenta at this stage and did it move naturally out of the way in time??

Cheers
H x

pollyblue Wed 17-Sep-08 19:28:39

Hi Helley,
my low placenta was spotted at 20 weeks but it didn't move and i ended up having a section at 37 weeks.

A low placenta will very often move up and out of the way as your pregnancy progresses so there is a good chance that yours will. If it doesn't, please try not to be scared at the thought of a section - I was pooing myself to be honest, but it was fine and handled very calmly and professionally. Yes, it was painful for a while afterwards, but a friend who had a vaginal birth and 40-odd stitches said that stung a bit too!

Did the hospital tell you that a low placenta can cause bleeding? I had this and it can be sudden and pretty heavy, but painless. If this happens, go to hospital so they can monitor you.

Best of luck smile

TheFallenMadonna Wed 17-Sep-08 19:29:43

Yes and yes for me.

All fine by 34 weeks.

Littleface Wed 17-Sep-08 19:31:26

Hi,
I had a low placenta at my 20 week scan but it had moved by my 36 week scan,still ended up with a section but for different reasons

osborne Wed 17-Sep-08 19:43:19

Mine was low at 20 weeks and fine by scan. Ditto a friend of mine.

Helley Wed 17-Sep-08 20:59:51

Excellent.....sounds fairly promising.

Thank you for your comments.....I suppose what will be will be.

Polly - no, they didn't tell me about bleeding but that's certainly something for me to watch out for.

Hx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now