Talk

Advanced search

waters and cord below baby????????????

(13 Posts)
MummyAnnabella Wed 17-Sep-08 14:32:58

am 34 weeks and at scan yesterday consultant said part of waters below babies head (which is down) and that there is hand and cord in the waters there. said if waters go early (which they did last pg) then cord may proplapse which is not good at all.

anyone had experience of this??

ajm200 Wed 17-Sep-08 14:34:25

No but feel for you. Bumping this so someone who has been through it can advise.

ajm200 Wed 17-Sep-08 14:34:26

No but feel for you. Bumping this so someone who has been through it can advise.

lulumama Wed 17-Sep-08 14:36:21

have you been told what to do if your waters do go early?

bum in the air, knee chest position facing the floor.... and 999 ..

Idobelieveinfairies Wed 17-Sep-08 14:38:06

it is dangerous if this happens, i had to go into hospital for a week as this could have happened, basically if waters go everything moves down, when the cord is first down their the babies head can squash cord and so oxygen supply can be affected.

The midwife told me-even though i was on maternity ward that if my waters were to go, i should lay with my bottom high in the air and get someone to ring, ring and ring on the alarm bell.

did your consulatant tell you anything else?? another scan??

ronshar Wed 17-Sep-08 14:40:23

It isnt the end of the world but if they should go and you find that your cord is hanging out then get a big wet towel and put it between your legs immediately and then call an ambulance STRAIGHT AWAY. Do not touch the cord or let any one else touch it if possible. It can spasm(sp). Towel needs to be wet so cord doesnt dry out. Also good protection.

This is all precautionary as lots of women have cord prolapse and delivery perfectly healthy babies. But it helps to be prepared.

I dont have experience of this personnally but used to work for Ambulance service and this is what they trained us to do.

Good luck with babysmile and I hope it doesnt happen to you.

MummyAnnabella Wed 17-Sep-08 14:49:57

thanks for quick replies.

consultant just said go straight to hospital admissions. didnt mention ambulance but i was wondering that last night if i would need one.

he is scanning me again on tues to see where cord is and said if still below he may admit me next week.

he didnt mention bum in air but of course i was googling kile a mad woamn last night and came across that. had planned to sit like that on back of dh car and get him to drive me to hospital while phoning to say i was on way. but should i call 999?

also anything i can do to stop waters breaking early - like bed rest??

ronshar Wed 17-Sep-08 14:58:56

Personnally I would call am ambulance because believe me they will get you to the hospital quicker than your DH. No ambulance personnel ever wants to have a heavily pregnant lady in the back for longer than they can help itgrin. No place for baby to be born I can tell you!

Go with what you are most comfortable with. If you would rather less drama then go with DH. The most important things to think about are;
How fast you can get to hospital.
What time of day you are going in.
Will DH be in fit state to drive, last thing you need is to get wedged in between the back seats while skidding round a cornerwink

MummyAnnabella Wed 17-Sep-08 15:12:39

oh imagine having baby in ambulance! have to have c/s so dont think that would work!

will play it by ear and if rush hour may do 999 but at night dh should be okay and surely quicker as ambulance would have to come and get me. we are about 15/20 min from hosp mostly motorway.

ronshar Wed 17-Sep-08 15:48:25

Be positive. It may not come to it. But at least if you are aware of the issues, then should it happen, it may not be such a shock.
Good luck to you. I shall be keeping an eye out. Do come back here to let us know if anything happens. Or baby arrivessmile

lulumama Wed 17-Sep-08 16:07:28

you must call 999,cord prolapse is an obstetric emergency and another pair of hands might be required to relieve pressue on the cord.. so it is a blue light job , i;m afraid if it does happen .

hanaflower Wed 17-Sep-08 16:09:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyAnnabella Wed 17-Sep-08 16:16:02

thanks will update if any news! hopefully will not happen. looks like 999 it is. had ambulance last pg for transfer to diff hosp with neo natal when in early labour really wanted to avoid drama this time round!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now