Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ahem - what do you recommend to relieve constipation in early pregnancy ?

(15 Posts)
TheodoresMummy Wed 17-Sep-08 14:26:40

Think I am around 10 weeks.

I am trying to drink lots of water and redbush tea, but no change hmm.

Don't feel like eating much - don't like dried fruit much anyway.

Any ideas ? Any herbal teas or juices that can help ?

avenanap Wed 17-Sep-08 14:29:58

Orange juice, soft ripe pears are also supposto help, as does coffee or prune juice (yuck).

TheodoresMummy Wed 17-Sep-08 14:35:56

thanks !!

never tried prune juice, might be nice i suppose...

coffee ?? really ?? i have cut right down because of being PG...

smartiejake Wed 17-Sep-08 14:41:38

I used to take fybogel sachets. They are just a high fibre drink and you mix them with water. I got mine on prescription from the dr when I had my two. They work a treat.

TarkaLiotta Wed 17-Sep-08 14:43:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotBigNotClever Wed 17-Sep-08 14:43:52

Linseeds - mix them into some cereal or yogurt. But don't take more than a teaspoonful per day. I used to make "special flapjacks" late in my last pregnancy (with ridiculous amounts of linseeds in). Did make me laugh when dh found the tin and scoffed 4 - with predictable results.

NotBigNotClever Wed 17-Sep-08 14:44:30

x-post, TarkaLiotta

DarrellRivers Wed 17-Sep-08 14:47:27

I swear by prunes, you can get them in sainsburys like raisins, really tasty and moist and just eat a few a day and bingo.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-Sep-08 14:48:43

I recommend walking, or better still, running. I had foul constipation while pg with DS2, and running was the only thing that helped.

TheodoresMummy Wed 17-Sep-08 14:49:15

Oh ladies thank you so much !!

Will pop to shop later and get prunes and linseeds.

(will not come back to update you if that's ok wink)

Lubyloo Wed 17-Sep-08 14:55:50

Lactulose. Very gentle and tastes lovely. Was one of the few things I could tolerate during early pregnancy.

Juliette108 Wed 17-Sep-08 17:11:14

Prune juice diluted with fizzy water, or prune puree mixed with natural yoghurt.

bikerunski Wed 17-Sep-08 18:35:41

Liqurice, dried apricots, dried figs. Did the trick after ds was born too. I hated lactulose and it just dehydrated me.

NotBigNotClever Wed 17-Sep-08 21:38:59

Oh gawd, even the mention of the word "lactulose" brings back my morning sickness, despite it being nearly 4 years since I was last pregnant.

midnightexpress Wed 17-Sep-08 21:44:43

I third linseeds. They did me proud through two pgs and are also chock full of omega-3 so you'll probably have a terribly brainy baby too (like mine, obviously wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now