Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ok to go swimming in your first trimester??

(8 Posts)
mummy2000 Wed 17-Sep-08 13:18:07

I am approx 6 weeks at the moment and i'd love to continue swimming but partner says he heard it wasn't good for you to go swimming in early stages and others saying it's ok. I'm confused and ovb don't want to do anything that may cause harm. Would appreciate advice. Thanks x

lulumama Wed 17-Sep-08 13:19:09

it is fine for you to swim.. why wouldn;t it be?

Tommy Wed 17-Sep-08 13:21:04

of course it's fine - very good for you and you'll be glad of it later on when you feel too fat to do anything else wink

biglips Wed 17-Sep-08 13:21:25

its fine to go swimming all the way thru the pg. i last went when i was 39 weeks...i was purely knackered to swim more than 5 mins! wink

MoreTeaPlease Wed 17-Sep-08 13:21:31

I swam all the way through and never heard anything except that it was good for you- gentle on joints etc.I remember my GP telling me during the first trimester that apart from the obvious things like alcohol too much caffeine and medicines, carry on as before and my baby was (a) microscopically smalland (b) well protected in physical terms down there in my pelvis!

Teuch Wed 17-Sep-08 13:23:16

Physical exercise is good at all stages of pregnancy! Just nothing that you risk getting a nasty fall or bump (ski-ing, horseriding, ice-skating for example!). And I think anything that involves lying flat after about 20-odd weeks is out (erm...can't think of an example!). Sit-ups and other abdominal exercises are advised against after the 1st trimester as your tummy muscles can separate, I think.

Just take it easy at first and stop if you feel breathless or dizzy.

Congratulations and good luck.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 17-Sep-08 13:31:23

I used to be a club swimmer and swam all the way through both pregnancies.
At the start I would just do lengths as normal, later on I had to settle for just sort of wandering about in the water as its really hard to do 'proper' swimming with a big bump! I was used to the twisting motion of crawl but my bump just wanted to point down all the time and cause too much drag!

Just being in a pool is wonderful later on, you feel so light and the water supports the bump.

mummy2000 Wed 17-Sep-08 19:06:36

Thank you everyone. I thought he was wrong about that as i had never heard of it before. I'll be looking forward to getting into it. I didn't do too much during my first pregnancy and i'm paying for it now(9 years on shock) so i thought that i'd do this one different. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now