Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I feel guilty for complaining, but my ridiculously large bosom is making me really miserable...

(36 Posts)
RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 13:00:49

I'm 6 months pg with DC2, I'm currently wearing a manky old NCT greying nursing bra in a 34J as all my lovely underwires no longer fit. Last time round I managed with underwires prety much up to the end.

My back is sore, my shoulders ache, I'm miserable at the thought of another year of crappy unsupportive maternity/nursing bras. I'm also a bit shock at what size I'm going to end up when my milk comes in...

Got some soft-cup bras from Bravissimo delivered today but think I was hopelessly optimistic over sizes and they are all too small. Or are all soft-cups just shite?

Any advice/comiserations gratefully received [self-pity]

moosemama Wed 17-Sep-08 13:54:01

Hi

You have my wholehearted sympathy. I am normally a 34GG and at 24 weeks am now a 34HH and going up. I am clinging onto wearing my underwires at the moment as I have never found a truly supportive soft-cup and was thoroughly miserable last time round (ended up a K-cup).

To be honest I think any soft-cup would need to be a serious feat of engineering to cope with the larger sizes.

I breastfed both my DSs but the bra thing is really putting me off sticking it out for as long this time round.

Last time I went to a wedding when DS2 was 10 weeks old and as I walked up to the church my SIL said at the top of her voice in front of the whole congregation "OH MY GOD! Look at the size of 'moosemamas' boobs!". Everyone turned round and I was totally mortified, especially as I'd spent weeks trying to find an outfit that minimised the effect. blush

If it helps at all, I did find that the Royce bras were better than the others (although not very attractive) at giving support.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 14:20:38

aw, thanks moosemama - it's a bit of a rubbish club to be in isn't it? Will have a look at Royce bras...

I bf DS until nearly 2 yrs, but luckily not wearning feeding bras for all that time. I feel pretty depressed seeing photos of me when he was tiny - I am fairly tall and slim so the boobs look extra massive on me.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 14:21:55

And what a rude thing for your SIL to say shock, just what you need when you're in that fragile PN state...

AllieBongo Wed 17-Sep-08 19:35:07

i feel your pain. I am 29 weeks and have gone up to a 34g. My ribs are burning with the pain and my boobs are under my arm pits The chap at work with me now luckily has not realised that i have undone my bra

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:37:12

Allie - so glad I work from home and don't have the sneaky undoing the bra in the office scenario grin

AllieBongo Wed 17-Sep-08 19:38:41

i told one of the women here, luckily there is a partition screen between me and him or he'd see that they are nestling on the desk!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 17-Sep-08 19:38:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBlonde Wed 17-Sep-08 19:40:12

non-underwired are rubbish
either buy a sports bra or just go underwired instead

you can buy kits to convert normal bras to nursing ones

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:40:38

Oh yes, have just started leaking too, my word I am an attractive lady atm... hmm

Although now bump is bigger, at least bosom has something to rest on [matronly]

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 17-Sep-08 19:42:10

AllieBongo Wed 17-Sep-08 19:42:13

i feel like i have one large boob, there is no division between them.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 17-Sep-08 19:48:37

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:50:23

After mine have retired from active service, would seriously consider breast reduction...

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:51:49

ugh yes, there is a particularly nasty (hormonally caused) pg breast smell

3littlefrogs Wed 17-Sep-08 19:55:50

MaloryDDIS I have just spluttered my tea all over the keyboard at the mental picture of your dh with one cup of a bra over his head grin

My DH just complained that every credit card bill had a new, bigger and more expensive Bra on it.

AllieBongo Wed 17-Sep-08 19:58:54

i also find crumbs inbetween my one boob.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 17-Sep-08 19:59:52

chutneymary Thu 18-Sep-08 06:11:31

Hello Rhinestone <<waves>>

I am overnorked (and insomniac!) as well. It sucks, but I second the Royce bras. Only ones which make my boobs look vaguely normal. I did find though that they didn't get bigger when my milk came in, which is as well or I'd have 2 spacehoppers stuffed down my front!

Know what you mean about boobs resting on bump. Feel like a granny. And with the bra OFF - can hardly bear to look. Sympathies.

Boob BO - I often "rearrange" boobs in cup to avoid this (in the loo at work so no one can see) and have the odd squirt of deodorant to mask any pong. Am with you on the reduction - shall we go together?

Malory - PMSL!

moosemama Thu 18-Sep-08 16:10:05

Hi again,

I found a cure for the boob smell. Get hold of a pitrock crystal (sell them in most health food shops). They are about 6.99 I think but last for months.

I do underneath and in between iyswim blush after getting out of the shower and have not been troubled by 'the dreaded smell' this time round.

Also use it for armpits as it doesn't contain any of the nasties that are supposed to be carcinogenic etc.

Hope this is useful to someone. smile

Have been shopping today and noticed every other pregnant lady had boobs smaller than bump. This time round my bump is quite compact and totally overshadowed by my boobs! blush I felt quite embarrassed by them actually!

MissMitford Fri 19-Sep-08 13:16:37

I'm off to Bravissimo for a fitting tomorrow - if you poss can, I'd go in and try em all on instead of mail order. The ladies are dead nice and WAY nice than the posh bints in Rigby and Peller. I went there recently thinking 'ooh I'll treat myself to a nice bra for my wedding' and they didn't have any that fit me.... it was really embarassing. 34H and counting...

Anyone got massively sensitive nipples? I'm 20wks and even pulling tops over my head is almost too much too bear... not in a good way.

ajm200 Fri 19-Sep-08 13:58:09

When I had DS my hormones went completely crazy and I went from 34c to a 34H before he was born. The only comfortable bras I found were maternity ones from M&S. They were very unflattering, like a big sports bra. Thick material, full cup with really wide shoulder and back straps.

Couldn't find any comfy nursing bras at all and ended up with a couple from bravissimo that were fitted properly but the styles weren't as supportive as I'd have liked. The good news is my hormones settled a bit after two weeks of BF and I went down to a 34E so had a lot more choice of bras..

This time round, I've only gone up half a cup size to 34D.. pregnancy hormones are so odd.

The MW I saw last time was lovely and she suggested that the best way to deal with sensitive nipples was to give them a good rub with a rough hot flannel in the bath each night. It seemed mad but did work, it toughens the skin up and I didn't suffer at all when I BF baby. All my friends were jealous as they had a month of hell while the skin toughened as baby fed.

EffiePerine Fri 19-Sep-08 14:02:47

RHinestone, am now in feeding bras too (about 34G I reckon, need to get measured). The Emma ones are the most supportive I find, the Royce ones are still a bit saggy for me. What about underwired feeding bras? They'll prob still fit at some point post-pg.

BTW I found that my norks got bigger as soon as I stopped bfing DS, which is odd.

aeonchix Sat 20-Sep-08 17:08:25

Does anybody know how NCT bras fit(in comparison to other brands)? I'm eyeing the NCT Comfort Bra possibly in 36K as I wear a Royce 36K. I'm confused as ever since the fi tters at Bravissimo suggested 34J or 36HH for wired bras. This is my 1st pregnancy (28wks) and I can't imagine what size I'll be once I start breastfeeding.

cece Sat 20-Sep-08 17:11:01

I am a HH or J cup and wore underwired till 38 weeks pg. The wore Royce nursing bras. They go up to L cup blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now