Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping on your back?

(11 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Tue 16-Sep-08 21:21:30

Message withdrawn

bessie26 Tue 16-Sep-08 21:59:01

I've been avoiding it, but have struggled to find a definative answer, I guess because it depends so much on the weight of the baby and the condition of your arteries as to how easily they will get squished???

My midwife told me to avoid lying on my back (even in yoga classes) but not to panic if i woke up & found myself on my back as it was bound to happen occasionally.

The instructor from my normal-yoga class gave me copies of his course notes which said the important thing was that I didn't lie flat on my back, so having a couple of pillows under my shoulders or bum would make it ok.

The instructor from my pregnancy-yoga class makes a real big thing about one position (bridge) being the only time I should ever be flat on on my back, and even then we are only flat on the floor for a few seconds.

sorry if i have just confused the issue even more! wink

TreadmillMom Tue 16-Sep-08 22:02:51

See www.mumsnet.com/Talk/49/591920 & www.mumsnet.com/Talk/49/590527

TreadmillMom Tue 16-Sep-08 22:03:09

See www.mumsnet.com/Talk/49/591920 & www.mumsnet.com/Talk/49/590527

TheHedgeWitch Tue 16-Sep-08 22:11:44

Message withdrawn

titmouse Tue 16-Sep-08 22:19:32

I've been sleeping on my back a fair bit, sometimes its the only way I can get to sleep.
I read that you shouldn't later on, but until it gets painful or whatever I'll carry on cos I've always been a fidgeter and I can't stay on my side all night.
I've got a lovely pillow that is 5' long, same as me, and that helps a bit I sort of grip onto it like a koala.

peachygirl Tue 16-Sep-08 22:26:02

I pretty much slep on my back through most of my pregnancy. When I asked my my antenatal teacher about this she said it far more imprtant to actualy get quality sleep then to worry about it.

babyinbelly Wed 17-Sep-08 10:45:54

I have never heard of this. I always sleep on my back. i'm a bit worried now!

zoejeanne Wed 17-Sep-08 13:13:38

I've never liked sleeping on my back ... until now! I have noticed in yoga and at home, that if I do lie on my back for too long the muscles seize up though and I struggle to get up - not sure if that's the same as the blood vessel thing though?

Kerri1983 Wed 17-Sep-08 19:37:47

Hi, I asked my midwife about it last time I visited her as I find it really uncomfortable sleeping on my side, im 30 weeks. She told me the same as Peachygirl, sleep where you are comfortable.

She said that if they were examining a patient and she was on her back they would be concious of the time spent on her back as it could cause her to faint when getting up. However, she said if you sleep on your back you will automatically wake up before this happens, just make sure you don't jump out of bed too quick. smile

PInkyminkyohnooo Wed 17-Sep-08 19:45:19

I normally sleep on my front, which of course becomes rather imposssible once you are reasonably pregnant. I find my legs go to sleep if I sleep on my back. I sleep on my side but I do wake up and have to turn over a lot as my hips et sore. Geeze I think basically if you can get any sleep at all in anyn position you are prolly doing ok!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now