Talk

Advanced search

Pins and needles in hand during night

(7 Posts)
Cosmogirl Tue 16-Sep-08 17:26:01

Anyone else experienced this? Was woken up 6 or 7 times last night with a tingling, dead left hand. Am only 12 weeks.

Romy7 Tue 16-Sep-08 17:28:34

yes - happened with all 3 pgs grin

someone told me carpal tunnel syndrome could be brought on by pg, but my symptoms always disappeared within a couple of weeks of birth. i'd forgotten that tbh!! grin

just mention to mw - it was never a cause for concern with me, but you won't rest until you've asked wink

madmouse Tue 16-Sep-08 20:55:08

it could be carpal tunnel but in pregnancy that is often caused by retaining fluid in the wrist and it is a bit early for that at 12 weeks. are you sleeping differently, maybe because your boobs have grown you shifted from tummy to side sleeping?

PigeonPie Tue 16-Sep-08 21:01:55

I had this worse after having DS2 and mentioned it to my GP at my six week check. He said it was more common before birth than after, but referred me to a physio who gave me a splint for my hand which I wear at night - certainly not practical during the day with two DSs.

They definitely work because I didn't put it on the other night and woke up with pain and tingling all down my right arm.

zoejeanne Wed 17-Sep-08 08:54:32

I have this (and sometimes in my feet as well) and mentioned it to the MW, who did say it could become carpal tunnel syndrome. She suggested wiggling my fingers to get the blood flowing again, and doing this during the day too - especially if you use a PC or similar. Apparently the other advice is to sleep with your hands raised, but the MW did suggest this is about impossible! I'd discuss it with your MW at your next appointment - and let me know if she has any other suggestions that mine hasn't!

Oblomov Wed 17-Sep-08 09:27:42

I have this. I am in real pain and have been sobbing most of the night. I am 32 weeks. I am due to have a steriod injection in both my hands tonight.

But this is because almost 2 years ago, I had very bad pains. My Gp was useless. Gave me nothing for it. Other than splints. Which were useless, but do help some people. I went private. paid £200 per consultation. Had consultation. Then tests. then saw major consultant who confirmed carpal tunnel. But by this time, almost 2 months later, my symptoms has stopped. Apparently this is not that unususal. So no treatment was advised.

When it started 2 weeks ago, I rang, and because I had previously been diagnosed, they immediatly agreed to do an injection. Hoorah. Can't wait.

I saw my GP yesterday. She was useless. And suggested paracetemol, if it gets really bad. Stupid woman. Doesn't being up all night sobbing constitute bad ? I am so glad I ignored her advice and went with consultants idea of steriod inj.

Apparently lots of ladies get very bad pins and needles in pg. Hardly surprising with fluids etc. AND many to get onset of carpal tunnel. For some it disappaears and for others it doesn't.

Hope yopu get some good advice and relief.

Cosmogirl Wed 17-Sep-08 16:08:56

Thanks everyone. It happened again a few times last night. Hopefully it won't last....12 weeks does seem early for it to start, thought it was more a third trimester problem. Will ask the midwife when I next see her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now