Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Might have Gestational Diabetes at 39 weeks

(4 Posts)
islandlassie Tue 16-Sep-08 16:16:38

Well the title gives it away. I get my results tomorrow. What will happen with them finding it so late if it comes back positive? I asked midwife but she avoided the question. I feel low.

islandlassie Tue 16-Sep-08 16:56:07

bump

mrsboogie Tue 16-Sep-08 17:09:58

I got it at 35 weeks. It sort of depends really on how long you have had it. At this late stage I think they will just scan you to see whether they think baby is big and whether you are carrying a lot of fluid then depending on the results consider whether they might want to induce you a bit early. They will also tell you to keep a check on your blood sugars until the baby comes.

Main thing now is don't worry - there's no need to be worried at this late stage - and don't be pushed into anything. I was induced last week because they thought my baby was huge. He wasn't and the induction was unnecessary. I don't believe he was affected at all. They also made a great fuss before hand about monitoring his blood sugar when he came out and how he might need to go to a special care baby unit. There wasn't a word said about any of this when he was born - oh and he wasn't even that big.

I suggest you find out tomorrow what the result is then come back on here and chat to the ladies on the GD thread. they talk a lot of sense.

Don't worry!

mrsboogie Tue 16-Sep-08 17:14:26

ps - this is all very fresh to me so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer any questions you have if I can.

one thing they did say to me - GD is not due to anything wrong you have done - its just caused by the placenta hoovering up all your insulin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now