Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cannot stand food of any type, please help

(11 Posts)
mrsgboring Tue 16-Sep-08 11:31:13

I posted a long rambly message about this a couple of days ago which didn't get replies, but please help me!

I'm on my third PG and have had this each time but I find it almost unbearable. Intense, all day nausea coupled with an inability to put food of almost any description past my lips. I can eat chocolate, certain specific types of crisps and biscuits and very highly sugared breakfast cereal. Sometimes I can eat meat, but increasingly not so. Am struggling to drink enough liquids too - at the moment I'm coping but in first PG I couldn't tolerate liquids and was almost hospitalised because of this (they said if it got worse I would be admitted - I begged them to do it anyway)

I feel rather stupid posting this because I know many people get far worse sickness - I haven't even thrown up yet though am only 7 weeks and expect to get worse (going on past pregnancies).

I have one DS (first DD was stillborn at full term after a 41 week puking pregnancy) and am finding it really hard to look after him, especially get him food and cannot cook.

Has anyone experienced similar feelings, and is there anything that I can do to alleviate them? It may be pathetic wimpery to those with hyperemesis, but I am finding it very hard.

hopefully Tue 16-Sep-08 11:38:05

Gosh, you poor poor thing! No experience of this, I just had some things I couldn't contemplate and others that I could, but fluids were fine.

All I can suggest is eating plenty of the few things you can stomach in an effort to keep your energy up. Assume you've tried high sugar drinks if you're ok with sugary things? Lucozade, sprite, coke etc...

Can you ask the doc for anti-nasuea medication? I guess you'll struggle to take it, but might be worth a go?

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 16-Sep-08 11:39:59

It's not pathetic wimpery - nausea of that level is awful. When I had HG I used to look forward to actually throwing up because then for a minute or two afterwards I wouldn't feel sick. So if you never ever get that release, it's really hard to cope.

I wish I could think of a practical solution, but in my case the meds stopped the actual throwing up but not the nausea. The only thing I can think of is rest, rest, rest; don't be ashamed to ask people to help with your ds. Eat any crap that you can manage. Serve junk to your ds if that is easier - it won't do him much harm in the long run.

Hope you feel better soon. Remember, it WILL get better eventually!

titmouse Tue 16-Sep-08 11:41:34

Hiya,
you got lots of replies, I don't know what happened to the thread but it's down there somewhere.

Hang in there xx

mrsgboring Tue 16-Sep-08 11:48:18

Oh sorry, Titmouse, you're right - failed to scan the list properly as that sort of rapid skim-reading makes me heave. Thank you for telling me. I can at least cheer up on that score smile

mrsgboring Tue 16-Sep-08 11:51:25

I can drink coke - it is practically the only thing I enjoy at the moment, but have been rationing it on the grounds that it's caffeinated and full of evil chemicals. Anyone know how much I can have of it? (Am also v. worried about my teeth as I can't brush them without retching horribly)

Lucozade - never again (MIL suggested it)

It probably doesn't help to look ahead and compare previous pgs.

titmouse Tue 16-Sep-08 11:54:12

No worries, I've been following the thread as I am in a similar way myself. I'm 13 weeks today but graduated from nausea to not being able to hold anything down - have no idea what is going on, but I am clinging to all the MS threads for dear life and hoping that answers will come!!

I hope you're not too rough today, gets you down rather, eh xx

mrsgboring Tue 16-Sep-08 12:00:01

Titmouse, in my worst PG (DD) weeks 12 - 13 were by far the worst time in the whole thing, so I hope you've not got much longer to go. Many many people feel miraculously better round the 14 week mark when the placenta takes fully over.

I am actually having a better day sickness wise, and yesterday managed to eat lunch so things are looking up maybe.

titmouse Tue 16-Sep-08 12:09:43

I wondered if it might have something to do with the placenta taking over, couldn't work out why everything changed and got worse. This is my first and everybody said I'd get better after week 12, not worse!!

I'm really glad you managed to eat lunch yesterday, that's good news.

mrsgboring Tue 16-Sep-08 14:12:27

Apparently placenta hasn't fully taken over from ovaries till week 14 (presumably they have a handover period grin) After that, I don't know, presumably the ovaries have to stop or change their hormone secretion patterns, so it wouldn't be surprising if this caused a further upheaval to the system. It gets better for most people, it did for me though it took a while and I was despairing when week 12 dawned the most disgusting yet, so hang in there and hope for the best.

broodymom Tue 16-Sep-08 14:26:59

Hi, i am 9+3 weeks and am the same i cannot face any food or drink and constantly retching and being sick. I can drink water and some orange juice and grapes and dry biscuits and thats about it at the min hmm but i dont really mind all for a good cause grin

This is my 3rd pg and my last 2 i was sick for the 9mths and then some! I do have to say that i am deff worse if i have nothing at all to eat for me when i start to feel nauseous i eat a couple of biscuits and it deff helps. Hope you feel better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now