Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - tinned salmon

(5 Posts)
Gateau Tue 16-Sep-08 10:14:36

I know there are limits on how much tuna you should eat (generally, but particularly in pregnancy) because of the mercury in it. Does the same apply for tinned salmon?
Have had tuna sandwiches the last two days but want to cook a dish tonight using tinned salmon. Is it safe to do so? - I am 5 wks pg.

MissusH Tue 16-Sep-08 10:19:52

Hi - I haven't heard anything bad about tinned salmon. In fact it counts towards your advised 2 portions of oily fish a week (get those omegas in!)

The fishy villains are:
fresh tuna (max 2 portions a week)
tinned tuna (4 small cans a week)
Swordfish - big fat zero
Shark - big fat zero
Marlin - big fat zero

Gateau Tue 16-Sep-08 10:24:09

Thanks very much MissusH. Very helpful. Blimey, didn;t knwo that about swordfish!! Are the restrictions just for pregnant women, or everyone?

SmugColditz Tue 16-Sep-08 10:37:39

Tuna are very very big fish, ditto swordfish, shark and marlin. They live a long time, which is why they have raised levels of toxins such as mercury.

Salmon and mackerel, sardines, pilchards et al are relatively small and very tasty and healthy. They don't live long enough to build up the toxin levels that larger fish do.

MissusH Tue 16-Sep-08 10:47:16

You're welcome Gateau smile

These restrictions are for pg women. Wouldn't have a clue about everyone else (not really a fish fan!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now