Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you have a water birth if you are induced?

(10 Posts)
cat811 Sun 14-Sep-08 18:37:08

I'm due to be induced on Wed (10 days overdue) but have suddenly wondered if this will affect my chance of having a water birth? The sweeps I have had haven't worked as apparently they can;t even reach the neck of my womb - does this make water birth very unlikely?

Turniphead1 Sun 14-Sep-08 18:47:55

It won't rule it out completely I guess, if they give you the pessary and everything kicks off, no reason why not. However, if they have to go the cyntocin route you may need a drip etc and are more likely to want an epidural.

Is there a particular reason you are not waiting til 14 days over (and I know what it's like to go overdue, part of you is just saying - get this baby out of here), but it's not something I'd chose if I could really avoid it for reasons I am sure you are familiar with.

Best of luck.

cat811 Sun 14-Sep-08 19:02:26

My hospital does it at 10 days, so i have just been told I am being induced on wed!

cazzybabs Sun 14-Sep-08 19:07:04

In cambridge it was a no...

findtheriver Sun 14-Sep-08 19:14:54

I've known people who've been induced who have a water birth. Obviously if you go down the epidural route it rules it out, but I have several friends who put that they wanted a water birth in their plan, and went on to have them, despite being induced.

Littlefish Sun 14-Sep-08 19:15:14

I have a feeling that if there have been any interventions (which includes induction), then you are unlikely to be allowed a waterbirth as they need to monitor you more closely. I could be wrong, but I would ring the hospital tomorrow if I were you, so you can be clear in your own mind before you go.

lulumama Sun 14-Sep-08 19:17:55

in the hospital i am familiar with , it is a no no. but i am sure you could insist... unless you are having a drip or epidural to induce you.

how many birth pools are there?

lulumama Sun 14-Sep-08 19:18:35

you don;t have to be induced BTW, especially if your body is not ready.. you can ask for expectant management and a review at 42 weeks. is this your first baby?

Turniphead1 Sun 14-Sep-08 19:20:53

PersonallY, I would not accept being told I am being induced at 10 days unless there was a very good reason why (especially if your cervix is unfavourable etc etc).

Snaf Sun 14-Sep-08 20:25:21

It depends. My unit 'allows' women into the pool 6 hours after their last dose of prostin gel (obviously you have to be in active labour, too). Other hospitals will have different policies, though.

If you need augmentation with syntocinon, that changes things as a) you will be attached to a drip and b) most units will be very keen to monitor you with a CTG, so that pretty much excludes waterbirth.

However... you do not have to be induced just because you are 10 days past your due date! Your body is clearly not currently ready to labour so, as long as all is well otherwise, why force it? You can refuse IOL and tell them you want to be monitored until 42 weeks and reviewed then. You are then far more likely to end up with a normal birth - hopefully in water!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now