Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birthing pool experiences

(11 Posts)
Shelli08 Sun 14-Sep-08 18:13:16

Hi im 32 weeks pg and absolutely petrified of labour i am looking for anything to help the birth and im considering a birthing pool, i would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences and if it helps with the pain xxxx

mummyloveslucy Sun 14-Sep-08 19:19:50

I used a birthing pool but unfortunetly it wasn't keeping it's tempeature and the midwife couldn't keep it worm enough so I ended up comming out. sad
When it was warm it was great. I've heard that the warmth helps with the pain, alot of women sware by it.
If I have another baby, I'll have another waterbirth and since I'd like a home birth, I'll hire my own. Or just use the bath. grin

belgo Sun 14-Sep-08 19:22:27

I had a water birth for dd2. It didn't relieve the pain as such, but it did provide something to aim for in the later stages of labour, (you can usually only use it once you are 5cm dilated), and it did help take the weight off of my bump and help with my mobility.

Majeika Sun 14-Sep-08 19:24:28

I had ds2 in Italy where there was no option to have pain relief!

The only option I had was a waterbirth and it was the best experience of my life!

With ds1 I was drugged up to the eyeballs with pain relief as I had PE and was v poorly.

With ds2 I told the midwife I would soon be needing the pool so gave her lots of time to fill it as it takes a while. I was stark naked and didnt have a care in the world about it!

I can still remember the sight of ds2 coming up out of the water and feeding him asap.

The pain relief was immediate and the whole exp was fantastic.

Just breathe and dont think about it and you will be fine!

JiminyCricket Sun 14-Sep-08 19:51:26

Hired a thermostatically controlled one (you get it for approx 1 week before and after labour) and it was lovely lovely lovely. The water only needed changing (via pump) once a week as it had good filters. DD2 was born so calm and peaceful, maybe its her personality but I think the birth was a good experience for her too.
BUT please remember, your body will help you through the pain (I had the biggest endorphin high), gas and air are great, and there are lots of other interventions that are helpful depending on individual circumstances, so I think personally you can only plan how you think you would like it, but in the end it might be different and OK too - for example, both my babes were late (10 and 14 days), and its hard to have a pool birth if you've had an induction/water's broken (sure its not impossible, but I know my hosp had this policy), so hiring the pool was an expensive kind of risk, though I would do it again. I hope things go great for you.

bikerunski Sun 14-Sep-08 22:10:02

Asked for one, all OK with hospital, but acually had an emergency CS for an undiagnosed footling breech! shock

Had 6 hours labour at home and spent a lot of that time in the bath, which I found a more relief than the TENS machine I'd hired. Had no other pain relief until CS, and it was much easier to cope with than I'd imagined it would be. Deep breathing was fab too.

notnowbernard Sun 14-Sep-08 22:12:01

Had 2 really positive experiences of water-births

I'd recommend it. It doesn't necessarily take away or reduce the pain, but it's warm and helps to relax you

SpeedyMackechnie Sun 14-Sep-08 22:15:23

Both DCs born in the water so have nothing to compare it with but would thoroughly recommend it. Just don't get in too early. Second time around the midwife let me get in at 4 cm dilated and I didn't progress after being in for 4 hours do had to get out for a while to speed things up.

With first one a hummed and hawed about what i would wear in the pool if I were able to use it as I am quite a modest person but in the end I was ripping my tens machine and nightdress off to jump in naked and didn't give a toss!

BabyStarlettsBeautiful Sun 14-Sep-08 22:17:05

My birth story, - last Tuesday...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1370/604544

I'm still on a high from it! smile

rookiemater Sun 14-Sep-08 22:19:39

I used a birthing pool, but to be honest, it didn't seem to help much with the pain as DS wasn't pointing in the right direction and was unkeen to come out so I got out of the water after a while. DH enjoyed it though, he brought his trunks along specially for the occasion.

One of the ladies from my NCT group though gave birth in a birthing pool, without any other interventions and thought it was very good, but spent some of her critical moments worrying about wether she would poo in it. Apparently she did and her DH fished it out.

If I am lucky enough to get pregnant again I would seriously be buying a hypnobirthing CD beforehand to try to learn some relaxation techniques.

minkersmum Sun 14-Sep-08 23:42:59

Have had 2 water births, great experience, more private than on land and reduces risk of tearing and sutures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now