Talk

Advanced search

Agonising UTI infection...advice needed!!

(21 Posts)
CrazyDi Thu 24-Feb-05 00:52:52

I have had a painful uti infection for a while now...I went to my gp and he gave me some amoxicillin but they didnt work, so 3 days ago he gave me some cefalexin but they havent even started to work yet. I have to ring and get results of my urine test on friday but wonderedif anyone knew any quick relief remedies??

I am in pain with it even when not weeing and its that bad when i go to the toilet that i literally scream and cry with it...I seriously feel like i cant cope with it.

I have tried cranberry juice, 20 tons of water etc etcbut nothing is easing it..poor hubby runs in to pour me a bath when i say i need to go, so i can go and jump straight into the bath to try ease the pain...Please help if there is any self help things to stop this!!

CrazyDi Thu 24-Feb-05 00:54:50

oh..other prob i think is that because i am 33 weeks and baby is breech, it seriously feels like he is trying to kick his way out...he kicks down and that hurts...any suggestions??

sallystrawberry Thu 24-Feb-05 00:57:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrazyDi Thu 24-Feb-05 01:05:42

Thing is they kind of look as much to say...oh, another hysterical pregnant woman, but I have had loads of uti's before...just never to this degree!! I have only seen the gp as i thought that thats what my midwife would say!! Maybe gps would be more sympathetic if they had ever experienced one!!

sallystrawberry Thu 24-Feb-05 01:11:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 24-Feb-05 01:32:21

You're doing all the stuff I know to do ... well, I think there may be an OTC treatment that doesn't fix the UTI, but does make it stop hurting so much - talk to a pharmacist?

Also, are you taking paracetamol for the pain? Again, won't fix the UTI, but you're obviously hurting, and you don't need that!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 24-Feb-05 01:33:17

Oh, and horrible though it is to go, the more often you go, the better, so as to flush the nasties out. Maybe just sit in a bath, drinking and peeing? (Not an appealing thought, I know.)

orangina Thu 24-Feb-05 13:08:16

Have you had a culture test done to know that whatever antibiotic you get is actually effective against it (which it doesn't sound as though it has been so far)? I remember the 1st time I had a UTI, I had no idea what it was , and it had got quite bad by the time i went to the doctors.... they took a culture, but put me on something in the meantime (maybe amoxycillin?) that normally did the trick, but it didn't and it got worse for another few days until the tests were back and they put me on something else. But until then I was in AGONY all the time, passing big clots of blood (sorry if tmi!), so I would really stress that you have the culture done asap, or chase the results if you have already had it done. Only other thing I can recommend is that you drink a LOT of water with bicarb of soda in it.... disgusting, but it does help, or at least in the early stages.....
Really hope you sort it soon, it is foul I know and you have all my sympathy xx

noddyholder Thu 24-Feb-05 13:09:38

lemon barley neutralises the wee and stops the stingin gbut doesn't do anything for the actual infection but helps pain

orangina Thu 24-Feb-05 13:09:54

.... oh and if you have to, kick up a huge stink with the gp.... make it worth his/her while to give you what you want (a culture with speedy results) rather than them have to have you crying full time in the surgery..... (sounds like an easy choice to me!)

orangina Thu 24-Feb-05 13:12:07

Sorry CrazyDi, have read your message again properly, and you obviously have had the culture test done..... sorry! Can you tell I'm pg and not 100% there?!

Fastasleep Thu 24-Feb-05 13:14:30

*Big big hugs from a fellow sufferer* they are reeeeeally painful aren't they! I'm sat here thanking my lucky stars that I haven't had one in a while (touch wood)... good luck with it! Keep bugging your doctor!

HappyMumof2 Thu 24-Feb-05 13:29:33

Message withdrawn

ark Thu 24-Feb-05 14:01:16

Sometimes I find that adding salt to my bath helps soothe some of the pain. Hope you feel better soon.

CrazyDi Fri 25-Feb-05 16:35:59

I have just spoke to my doctors for the msu results and they have said that due to protein and blood in sample that they want to repeat it..but with it being friday I have to wait to take in a sample until next week. I cant stop crying..I felt like screaming down the phone at them as nothing is helping and i am in agony and next week seems like so far away. They seriously dont care that i am going to spend the weekend in agony...crying everytime i need a wee!!. Dont know what else to do apart from try and cope until next week with paracetamols..just had to tell someone how p*ed off I am.

HappyMumof2 Fri 25-Feb-05 16:40:54

Message withdrawn

bathmummy Fri 25-Feb-05 16:45:51

I agree. Way too long to wait.
I would phone GP back and tell them in no uncertain terms that you are in excessive pain, that you are constantly in tears and that it cannot wait until next week. Do it before surgery closes and warn them that if they leave it, you are likely to end up calling someone out in the middle of the night if it gets worse.. might help persuade them to act. Sometimes it is worth getting a bit dramatic, don’t leave it until the middle of the night or weekend when you will be kicking yourself for not insisting they act now and provide better pain relief.

orangina Fri 25-Feb-05 20:09:55

absolutely. go down to the hospital (a&e? labour ward?) and demand that you are tested with immediate results... I'm sure it will be the quickest way for you to get sorted out. I feel so sorry for you crazydi.... definitely give your gp an earful at the earliest possible opportunity.... best best best of luck in getting this sorted out asap. xx

singsong Fri 25-Feb-05 20:47:45

Oh dear it sounds as if you have been suffering this for far too long now. It doesn’t sound like the infection is responding to the antibiotics. Is there a pregnancy day assessment unit by you? If so you could attend there and get them to send your urine test off ASAP. Otherwise there will be community midwife on duty over the weekend who can get your sample sent in. Problem with the test is that they have to incubate the sample and grow whatever bug you have in your urine which does take time so nobody would be able to give you a final result as regards which bug you have in your urine and how to treat it there and then. Do get the sample sent ASAP though because the sooner it goes the sooner the result will be available.

singsong Fri 25-Feb-05 20:51:21

How are you feeling in yourself other than the pain? Do you feel unwell or have a high temperature as well?

Jodiesmum Fri 25-Feb-05 21:58:08

Crazydi I can't believe they're not taking this more seriously. Don't want to scare you but DD2 was born a 31 wks due to a severe UTI which was really awful for both us. I stupidly didn't make a big fuss about the pain thinking I didn't want to be a hysterical pregnant woman second time around. Do get down to the Labour ward or A&E and make them realise how bad you're feeling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now